Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some detailed info on stuffing 60 shafts in a 44 housing. Will this work or is it to muck work for the effert.
Thanks for any input you all can give. :smokin:

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
Saw something in a mag a while back about using an ARB or Detroit (don't remember which) that is made to do this. You then put 60 tubes, knuckles, shafts, etc. on the 44 center. Only benefit is the clearance but now your weak point will be the gears most likely.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Check with the guys at Tri-County Gear in Pomona, i believe they are running that particular setup.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
ARB is makes a 35 spline locker for the 44. Do a search it was discused in detail on this board a few months ago. Also peterson magizine did a write up on it a few months ago as well. It sounds interesting, but as many said for the $ you could have built yourself a nice 60...

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
No reason you can't do it with new tubes. Here's a toy front with 60 outers, nice axle.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
You will need 60 outers, axles and a 35 spline 44 spool or the ARB and that is about it.

·
Registered
54,554 Posts
seeing how you need the axles and outers your probaly better off buying a complete axle and once you have the complete axle why not just run it. the way i look at it is now your axle are stronger so your weak point ends up the gear set.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
ironpig70 said:
seeing how you need the axles and outers your probaly better off buying a complete axle and once you have the complete axle why not just run it. the way i look at it is now your axle are stronger so your weak point ends up the gear set.
I agree 100% with this. However if you are set on doing it Crane can get you the knuckle C's for a 60 that will fit on 44 tubes.

·
Hello Govna
2,878 Posts
it's called polishing a turd. :shaking:

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
im looking at doing this too, ill be running a tracker on 38s with a 100hp zuk motor the bigest i'd go with the motor would be a 160ish 2.5l the rig will be in the low 3k lbs range... your saying u should put a 60 under it even though i have 5.89s and lockers in my d44s and ill never have to worry about a r&p in the 44 with 100hp?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
A HP Toy or 44 60 hybrid is perfect if you have low-medium horse power and want to stick with 38's. 38's with a 60 chunk and you have maybe 8" clearance aired down.

It's a lot of work to gain a few inches clearance but if you've got the time/skills/money it's worth it imo.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
There is shiot loads of good info on the board allready about this, you'll have to weed through TONS of this kind of crap......

if you want a 60, buy or build a 60, doing anything else is nothing but a waste of money and effort in the long run once the parts start breaking.
and

it's called polishing a turd.
but it's here. Try searching under my name, I've talked about it alot in some good hybrid threads.

And, yes it is worth doing under the right circumstances.
Keep in mind a 10 bolt is stronger than a d44.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
a 10 bolt pumpkin/ring gear/carrier is stronger than that of a 44?? Thats news to me, if its true.
There is no doubt the 10 bolt is stronger.
- 10 bolt pinion is 30 spline, d44 is 26 so the pinion shaft is larger.
- The gear contact surface is substancially larger on a 10 bolt compared to a
D44 and the lower ratio you run the more pronounced it gets so the gear set is definatly stronger.
- Most 44's have 2 5/8" axle tubes. Most, if not all 10 bolts are 3".
Everything else I can think of is the same.

I'm not sayin a 10 bolt is the sheit but it is definatly stronger than a d44!
So if you're doin a hybrid and starting from scratch , or even building a 1/2 ton wheeler, a 10 bolt is no doubt a better/stronger center section!

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
also the 10 bolt has larger pinion bearings, and the 30sp version of the carrier's have a deeper spline root than a 44, more contact there too...

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have the axles under the truck already. I was just thinking about the wright up in the mag the other day and was wondering if it would be worth the time. I can do all the work myself. Most of all it was a thought. I would use the 60 C and outers not the 44s. I would also use spools in the front and the rear.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
The only thing about that is would you rather be replacing a R&P or a shaft? Id rather have the shaft be the weak point and carry spares personally.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts