Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy has got a set of 63" Alcans arched for 4" lift, built for a 1/2 ton Chevy.
I'm doing a 63" swap on my Toy, it's got 5-6" lift

So the question is. Do you think the 4" Alcans will be too tall, or too stiff?

The back of my Toy is very light. Shortened frame. No bed, just tin. I've got 5" Skyjacker Softride springs, and have put 300lbs+/-
over the axle on occasion. But still no articulation.

Junkyard junk 63"stockers or Alcan new 63" w/4" arch?
For the sake of argument pretend they cost the same.

Thanks for your input

:beer:

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Somebody I know brought this up a couple of weeks ago. As soon as he said it I couldn't believe I'd never heard it before. Seems like the stock 63's don't give much lift. Also seems like a 4" lift 63" spring should flex pretty good.

Anybody??

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
FYI, 3" Procomp Chevy springs are very soft.

On my brother's fullsize chevy that we did an SAS on, he ordered 5" procomps, but they sent us 3" by accident and when we put them on they went almost completely flat under the weight of the chevy. I think they would work good on a Toy.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine had passable flex way back when I had bed, bumper,etc.

But I need more now.

:beer:

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
my buddy is friends with a guy who runs lifted chevys in the rear of a runner he says they flat out twist!!!!!

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
rockcrawlinredneck said:
my buddy is friends with a guy who runs lifted chevys in the rear of a runner he says they flat out twist!!!!!
What brand and how much lift?

BTW, four runners weigh more in the rear than a pickup.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
yea i relize a runner weighs more thats why i included that it was on a runner, im not sure what brand they are but i can find out i will try to call him 2 marrow and i will let you know. i BELIEVE they are rancho but let me double check

·
Registered
800 Posts
im running 2.5" lift chevys w/ some long shackles and they seem to work great. I talked to Sac. spring works last year about making a few sets of 63" long thin leaved spring packs (similar to alcans) but the cost is just up there.

My toolbox full of crap, my steel fuel cell, and the D60 all help things flex too.

·
Registered
564 Posts
You would have WAY too much lift with 4" lifted chevy springs on a light truck :eek: Damn, im running stock chevys on the back of my truck (no bed, shortened frame), and i got over 6" of lift!!
So, on a light Toy 4" lifted chevy springs would give you over 10" of lift!! :eek:

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
rockcrawlinredneck said:

neat............ third hand heresay. :rolleyes: come awn guys lets keep the tech to things we know and not what we hear.

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
Tankoma,
What esle do you have on there to give you 6" of lift? Are you sure those were stock chevy's? Do you have any drop down hangers or anything else that would give you more lift? I'm having trouble believing that you got 6" of lift out of a set of stock chevy's monting them the way everybody else does, so I am interested in what else you did? Do you have a huge (and I mean huge) single shackle set up or something?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It was my understanding from my search, that stock 63" needed a couple inch block or huge shackles to match up to a 5" front lift.

Don't know if Alcan 63's are built soft or stiff, but I'd rather not increase my height by much. My Toy likes to lay down often, too much weight in bad places exo cage for instance.

Thanks for your input :D

·
Registered
564 Posts
montezuma said:
Tankoma,
What esle do you have on there to give you 6" of lift? Are you sure those were stock chevy's?
YES, im sure they are stock 1997 2wd 1/2 ton chevy springs, i pulled them.:flipoff2: Im running low-profile ramped spring hangers and 1.5" extended shackles, and no blocks.
Do i need to post pics to prove it :question::flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Stock chevys with a 4 inch rearch... Originally I had them under a stock bodied 4Runner with and add-a-leaf and they worked great... When I cut the top off (as pictured) I simply removed the add-a-leaf and they worked equally as well. Now that I've gone "truggy" I need to inboard them to get some flex back, but they're still descent.

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
Tankoma,
Yes. Please post pics. I want to see these springs. Is there a possibility that you yanked them off a truck that had a Superlift set of springs on it, and you are actually running a lift set? Did you do add a leafs? And also, what set did you use? The three leaf pack, or the four leaf pack? Post pics of the rig as well as the close ups of the set up. Nothing I have read says you should get six inches out of that set up. I'm not doubting your word, but I am curious.

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
I'm running 3.5 arch Procomp, 2" blocks, stock Chevy rear shackle and just a touch of sag. I've got a flatbedded 4Runner. Could be due to the frenched front hanger. Flexs pretty good so far.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the input. I ended up getting stock chevy's with a procomp add a leaf, and a cut down overload. Should know how they work by the end of the week.:cool:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts