Pirate 4x4 banner

921 - 940 of 953 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
the added weight of 60's would be under your springs, so adding extra leafs for added weight would not be necessary is what im trying to say.

·
Registered
105 Posts
for what it's worth in what I've found using the RUF/63 setup in numerous builds and watching it in action on many other builds is that they flex VERY nice.
Great for slow idling over rocks etc.
But that long 63" spring can really be a headache on throttle assaults be it rock faces, or full throttle rutted out washed out climbs with rock/mud. The long spring does what it's designed to in that instance.....and that is it flexes REPEATEDLY and sends you into a bouncing frenzy. Maybe doubling up shocks to 4 in the rear would help or creating an anti-wrap leaf....but after wheeling a linked rear, I'll never go back to leaf springs in the back but if I did, I think I would highly consider using a shorter stock length rear spring and give up some flex and take back some of the axle wrap.

That said, if you're wheeling in terrain that requires tons IMHO, 63" leafs in the rear are just not even a consideration. Link it or go with a shorter/stock length pack.
The extra width you get from the tons with stock lengths springs will offset the flex from a narrow axle with 63" springs and when you go with a shorter spring, your overall flex will still be tremendous due to the added width.

my $.02

·
Registered
1,021 Posts

^in the picture driver rear tire is pulling off the ground.

i have had for quite some time now 06 or 07 2wd silverado springs, the two thick leaves with an overload. i have roughly 8" of uptravel and can almost stuff a side all the way up, but the other side only droops maybe 2" more, then ppulls a tire off the ground. 14" bilsteins, 6" shackle
it rides like a cadillac and very smooth at speed in the desert, but i know it should flex better.
should i try the earlier years with thinner leaves? any other input guys

(cage is nowhere near done, dont hate,:flipoff2:

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have been running Chevy's for 9 years and they have plenty of flex. I ordered my spring hanger kit from sky. It was easy just like the FAQ and I only welded the three sides on the grass tank sit. This is the best bang for the buck.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi guys,

I don't know if this has been answered already... I looked everywhere and did not find an exact answer. if it has I apologize... but here is my situation:

I bought an 85 sr5 with the chevy 63" convers]ion on already.
flexes great and I like where the axle sits...
but the truck is lower at back than the front, and I want to run larger tires, which means I need a lift.

I do rock crawling, so blocks are no good from all ive read and are discouraged by all my buddies.
add a leaf will change the handling characteristics (flex) and ads weight, plus lots of work for probably a temp solution...

so my question is 3 fold:
1) do u guys know if I can buy an aftermarket spring pack lift, which would simply replace the 63", fit right in (simple swap), and provide say 3 inches more lift? (like a rancho, tuff country or whatever)

2) if so, which chevy / gmc truck models to look for? there a lot of 1/2 and 3/4 ton truck during that decade or so, and having looked for a couple, I see some of these websites show the kits aren't compatible across the years and models of 88-2010 trucks

3) if you were able to answer the above, do u know if these kits flex? don't want just the lift... if its gonna be a stiff replacement, its no good.

thx !!!!

·
Premium Member
29,409 Posts
Hi guys,

I don't know if this has been answered already... I looked everywhere and did not find an exact answer. if it has I apologize... but here is my situation:

I bought an 85 sr5 with the chevy 63" convers]ion on already.
flexes great and I like where the axle sits...
but the truck is lower at back than the front, and I want to run larger tires, which means I need a lift.

I do rock crawling, so blocks are no good from all ive read and are discouraged by all my buddies.
add a leaf will change the handling characteristics (flex) and ads weight, plus lots of work for probably a temp solution...

so my question is 3 fold:
1) do u guys know if I can buy an aftermarket spring pack lift, which would simply replace the 63", fit right in (simple swap), and provide say 3 inches more lift? (like a rancho, tuff country or whatever)

2) if so, which chevy / gmc truck models to look for? there a lot of 1/2 and 3/4 ton truck during that decade or so, and having looked for a couple, I see some of these websites show the kits aren't compatible across the years and models of 88-2010 trucks

3) if you were able to answer the above, do u know if these kits flex? don't want just the lift... if its gonna be a stiff replacement, its no good.

thx !!!!

I've got a couple questions for you in return, as I also run 63's in the rear and crawl rocks.

What size tire are you trying to fit?

Why are you opposed to fender trimming?

Yes, you can go ahead and get some new springs, hell I bet if you just picked up some NEW chevy springs that were not old and clapped out they would probably get you what you are after, but you can also continue to rock out with what you have without issue.

I've got just a touch of trimming on the rear of my truck and it has no issues, granted only running a 37" tire. Yes, it is a little lower in the rear than in the front, but that has never caused any issues. It is both 1) easier and 2) cheaper than replacing the springs and you don't need to buy a new spring.

You can always play around with your shackle angle and length to adjust ride height and spring rate a bit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
thx for the referral toyotaparts... they look good... wonder how they flex?

as for the questions, I want to run 40s...
35s are on now...

as for why I want to lift the rear, well for one I hate the sagging look... :)
and 2 I have already trimmed body and fenders... 37s just about fit... beyond that... looks like I need a bit more lift

·
Registered
1 Posts
axle over or axle under

Just curious to all of you guys that are running this swap are you running the axle under to get 2-4" of lift or are you running axle over?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just curious to all of you guys that are running this swap are you running the axle under to get 2-4" of lift or are you running axle over?
The one's I've done I've always done SOA

And I've seen quite a few on the trails.....and have yet to see someone try SUA of any kind on a yota.

·
Registered
940 Posts
And I've seen quite a few on the trails.....and have yet to see someone try SUA of any kind on a yota.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure clampy the olive drab toy( fred williams from petersons 4wheel offroad magazine) has sua 63's that are lifted .They were super lift or sky jackers I believe.

·
Registered
651 Posts
921 - 940 of 953 Posts