Pirate 4x4 banner

941 - 953 of 953 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,409 Posts
I'm not running them, don't really know anybody who is but I doubt they would create much roll. just a touch more pricey than using a regular bushing for very little gain.

my .02

·
Premium Member
29,409 Posts
So what did you guys do to lift the front of the truck after doing this swap?
I did a RUF SAS swap, that was ultimately much taller. If you just want to swap the rear springs to these, it would probably be pretty close to stock IFS height, possibly some small ball joint spacers would match well.

Just depends on what you want to do.

No reason you couldn't also go with a diamond front axle and 4wheel underground 3link front to match :smokin:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if I found new enough springs that got me the 4" of lift in the rear that I could do a RUF and get the same in the front. I have and 80 pickup I just bought and wanna do something with it.

·
Premium Member
29,409 Posts
I ran frenched in mounts so ~1" lower and had to run a 7" shackle at about 60* angle and was still an inch+ squatted in the rear. (on an IFS frame)

You can play around with the height a bunch with shackle length and mount location/design without overdoing any one thing. If i were to do it again, i would do the front first, measure it a bunch and then build the rear to match. The whole no engine thing gives a bit more flexibility

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Wow - this thread has gotten a lot longer since I did my swap in 2002.

Looked through this whole thing and did not see this one - I know it will be a bit different with vehicle weight, shackle angle, etc:

Could someone measure from bolt on the front hanger to bolt on the shackle hanger? I am building an offroad trailer and don't have a set of springs to mock things up with.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I measure 60 3/4in on my 87 4runner. A 6in shackle sits at about 45 deg angle with the hard top on, if it helps with your project.

·
Registered
4 Posts
63s/RUF with OM617

I know there havent been any posts to this thread in a while, but I figured my question might best be answered here. Have any of you folks run RUF with an Om617? If so, What issues did you run into, if any? I figured I would likely have to make a bastard pack of springs to adjust for the weight, but any info would be apprecieted.

·
Premium Member
29,409 Posts
rufs require a bastard pack for anything, i ran a bastard pack with a 22re :rasta:

hit up the junkyard, try to find a leaf spring pack that is similar in leaf thickness and width...then add up as many as you need, and cut them down so that they aren't all the same length (so that they can move up and down/slide easily)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Right on, thanks for the heads up. I have a set of second gen pickup rears already, I guess I'm heading back to the junk yard this weekend.

941 - 953 of 953 Posts