Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, im about to do the chevys on the rear of my 92 four runner....yes it had coils dont ask. But the question is this...
After much internet research, I want to know do you have to run the double shackle to make it flex well ? Some say yes some say no.
Give me your opinions.

Thanks

James

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
dual shackles are gay IMO. it may get more droop, but you'll get more trail performance and better climbing without them. don't do them----brad
edit- my brother has had both BTW, took off the double and went witha single. with around a 45 degree shackle angle and an extended shackle, you'll get enough flex

·
Registered
12,164 Posts
some guys run the double setups because it's easier to just bolt the shackes together instead of cutting off the stock shackle hanger and moving it back .

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool thanks thats what I needed to know, It should be straight forward since my frame is nice and clean.
Ill mount'em around 41-45 deg and see what she does.

·
Registered
860 Posts
i must play devils advocate here... i run dual shackles and love them. they operate well with the chevy's and together i have a 45* shackle angle. it flexs great and works great on trails as well as rocks. but in the near future i plan to change over to a buggy leaf set up.

·
Registered
182 Posts
leaf swap

3VZE- Hey man I am doing the same on a 2nd gen runner. How far are you from Vancouver? Keep this post going I want to see how yours turns out and I will do the same. I have searched this board up and down looking for someone that has done chevy's on a second gen runner. Keep us posted. Brandon

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
crashinaz, I assume you mean there no need for the double shackle ? what did the 4" chevys net you for lift ? around 6-7 inches ?

Thanx

·
Registered
182 Posts
Leaf swap

3vze Those front mounts look good. The only real good place to wheel down here is Tillamook they have some good trails. You have to let me know when the next time you make it down this way, maybe we can do some wheeling.

Crashinaz- What kinda of AAL are you using. I am going to try AAL with a little longer shacke, I don't want to have to use a block but then again I am only trying to get about 4.5 of lift to match my 3in allpro's Thanks.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Yeah, I meant "no need for a double shackle set-up"... I had a local spring place do the re-arch and bought the AAL from them too. I was told it was a "700 lb." AAL... (ie: it adds an additional 700 lbs. of hauling capacity)... The set-up initially netted me 6+ inches of lift without the overload. After it settled, I added the cut-down overload in and it stayed at about 6 inches... Let me just say this... The heavy rearend of the 2nd gen 4-Runner is WAY too much for the stock Chevys without the AAL... Unless you're planning on running a swaybar or you get your kicks from dangerously extreme body roll... Slap the AAL in. Hope this helps.

Shot of ride height on 36's...

Shot of stuff...

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why are AAL's rated in inches of lift and/or spring rate.
Seems to me that the lift would depend on load and vech weight ?
Is the stock chevy AAL good enough ?

Oops my bad I am exactly 100 miles off :D
from my place to his place off 4th plain its 181 miles door step to doorstep.

·
Registered
860 Posts
stock chevy's dont come with AAL's (add a leafs). you can get them at almost and 4x4 shop and they dont cost much. they are normally very thick and are designed to re-arch your springs to add lift and they also stiffen your ride and limit flex. from my personal experience i would never run an AAL again because the extra lift wasnt worth everything else i lost by putting it in.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well im working on it now its coming along well. But im thinking to my self how in the world are the bobbed bed guys running these things w/o double shackles ?10-12 inch long shackles ?
Good grief they are huge...they look like ski's.

So is it safe to build the shackle mount about 3 inches off the frame to give the extra height req. ?
Or is it better to run blocks or an aal ?

Thanks for the great advice.

Ill get some pix once I get ahold of a decent digi-cam

James

·
Registered
182 Posts
leaf swap

3VZE how long of shackle are you going to run. I think after searching and not finding much on the second gen runner it going to be a trial and error thing. I am going to start off with 12in and work down. I am going to go with the aal anyways to get the lift and with the heavier rear end I think it will help. I am just waiting patiently for my rear shackle hangers. Hopefully they will be here tomorrow, and then I will get the springs hung. keep us posted. I am right off 4th plain as well. So if your ever in the area just let me know. Brandon

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Etchboy, im running generic 6-7" long shackles. Ill measure them tonight . They are the zinc plated ones from central 4wd. like 30 bux a pair.
I wouldnt run one 12" long. People who do that only do it because they dont want the double shackle and it wont fit otherwise like on a bobbed bed.

·
Registered
182 Posts
3vze are you finding that the springs are hanging past the frame with the pin centered in the wheel well? I am not sure if this is correct but I guess I will find out here soon. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nope they seem to be right about an inch to an inch and a half before the end of the rail....but remember the hanger is going to be about an two or more inches before that to make the shackle hang at a 40-45 degree angle.
Ill try to get some pix tonight. I took some last night but they turned out real blurry and horrible quality.

·
Registered
182 Posts
3vze what is your wheel base going to be or want to be? I am trying to get around 105 to 106 from what I read it good. Thanks for the info.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts