Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Desert Rat
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When tornadoalley was at the shop last month, I was trying to explain to him that the 64 doors were a different breed, with no top lip over the top window channel. The upper half of the door was just an inch taller, leading to yet another variation on the bugcatcher window and weatherstrip. The channel in the hardtop would have also been missing the angled insert that came out to meet the weatherstrip, as there was no weatherstrip to meet.

Anyhow, there's a pair FS on ebay, and the pics explain the story:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...&item=7923125154&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

I am not interested in them, and would warn anyone looking at them that they are peculiar. The one thing that I found interesting about the 64s was that without the angled insert in the hardtop, the doors actually fit better into the top, with a better roof overhang, which helped with the rain.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Mark is correct, I took my 65 doors(off coragated top 40) and put them on my 66 fj45, in this pic you can kinda see the fit problem, gap at front of door and no curve on the rear upper frame, so it sticks out.

pissed me off as the 65 doors are PERFECT, thats the original paint!!!!! not a speck of rust, even the WS is perfect.

oh well it makes good xmas yardart :D

·
Registered
888 Posts
Not following you Landpimp...
The doors in the ebay add have the narrow top piece above the window. The doors you have on the 45 should fit correctly with the wider seal chanel above the window, mine do. Is there another difference I'm not understanding?
PMK

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
nope, the ebay doors and mine are the same, no weather striping on the top of the frame, the upper frame is stright up and down, no inward curve to match the top.

to clairify(and thats what the pic is of) I took doors from my 65 fj40 and put them on my 66 fj45 and the upper does not fit correctly. If the inner access panel has 6 bolts they are from a corragated top 40.

Now the doors that came on my 45 are correct and they doors I made for it(out of 1/2 dozen others) fit correctly. Ya just can put corragted top doors on a non corragated top 40 or any removeable top 45.

these are the doors I have now and they fit correct.

Pygpen said:
Not following you Landpimp...
The doors in the ebay add have the narrow top piece above the window. The doors you have on the 45 should fit correctly with the wider seal chanel above the window, mine do. Is there another difference I'm not understanding?
PMK

·
Registered
17,121 Posts
i have a set of those at home in great shape, off a 66 with the corigated top. no rust. :D

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
something about the early doors........must make them less prone to rust. I mean mine are like brand spankin new...........kinda trips me out, as old as me and in MUCH better shape ;)

orangefj45 said:
i have a set of those at home in great shape, off a 66 with the corigated top. no rust. :D

·
Registered
888 Posts
:confused: I'm confused as all hell.
So you're saying the doors on my 65 45, with 6 bolt access panels, are incorrect?

PMK
Landpimp said:
nope, the ebay doors and mine are the same, no weather striping on the top of the frame, the upper frame is stright up and down, no inward curve to match the top.

to clairify(and thats what the pic is of) I took doors from my 65 fj40 and put them on my 66 fj45 and the upper does not fit correctly. If the inner access panel has 6 bolts they are from a corragated top 40.

Now the doors that came on my 45 are correct and they doors I made for it(out of 1/2 dozen others) fit correctly. Ya just can put corragted top doors on a non corragated top 40 or any removeable top 45.

these are the doors I have now and they fit correct.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I found this too....
early non-removable top with late model doors

If I undewrstand what your saying, these dont fit either?
PMK

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I think Mark's referring to just the top channel and the rake on the windshield..
Gary modified the latch mechanism on those doors to fit. THey were a nice tight fit and less rattles in them than the older ones.. Besides.. WE all know Gary actually wheels that truck hard! he's got more gear in that truck than I have in my garage! :smokin:

The top channel on my 64 has the extra inch above the flat, Mark showed me some that don't.. I'm not all that sure I get the whole explanation myself but I just wanted some doors that fit my truck and were correct.. Thus Mark confused the heck outta me and got me what I needed..
So.. Your not the only one still confused! :confused:
But I have 2 matching door tops now from MarksOffRoad.. Still need a bottom half of a pass door tho! ANyone? 1964 vintage.. Not in a real hurry tho! I might be able to beat mine back into sumission..

·
Registered
888 Posts
Ok, I know the door you are speaking of....
Like this one. When I met Gary some time ago, I believe he was running the doors with the short top.
I wasn't refering to the latch at all, just the fit of the door.
PMK

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
I think this is true of most early fenders too.

Landpimp said:
something about the early doors........must make them less prone to rust. I mean mine are like brand spankin new...........kinda trips me out, as old as me and in MUCH better shape ;)

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
my bad, guess the 6 bolt were used on removable top 45's. But the upper door frame is not the same as my 65 fj40 doors. OK........I'll go take a pic ;)

Pygpen said:
:confused: I'm confused as all hell.
So you're saying the doors on my 65 45, with 6 bolt access panels, are incorrect?

PMK

·
Registered
17,121 Posts
no difference physically on the fenders.

except that the ones for the LVs were produced by gifu, just like the rest of the body, and are a much heavier gauge metal. i can stand on mine without them flexing (i know, i know, let the lightweight jokes begin :flipoff2: you fat bastards! :flipoff2: ).

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
OK, took comparision pics

this is 65 fj40 with corraguated top. Notice the upper frame is stright up and down. No WS on upper horizontal frame, its on the body.

this is my 66 fj45, top and doors the same as a normal/non corraguated top.

and I would sware the angle on the front widnow frame is more raked back on the corragauted(no I can't spell it ;) top then on a removable top 45 or normal 40, because I had a gap when I swaped the door.

Not really sure about the 6 bolt vrs 4 bolt, figured 6 bolt was fixed top 45 or corrugated top 40's. Also no idea about the door fit on a fixed top 45..........don't have one :shaking:

I suck at explaining stuff.......

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
really? I'll be damed, how do you know? and why would they be made by Gifu?.........I just assumed(ya know the story ;) that the hood, fenders, bib ect were made by Arikawa/Araco, the rest was Gifu. Odd to made the same parts in 2 places seeing how Gifu was so small.

So now 45LV fenders will be the hot ticket........cause they are thicker :) I won't be standing on either to test it out......:D

orangefj45 said:
no difference physically on the fenders.

except that the ones for the LVs were produced by gifu, just like the rest of the body, and are a much heavier gauge metal. i can stand on mine without them flexing (i know, i know, let the lightweight jokes begin :flipoff2: you fat bastards! :flipoff2: ).

·
Registered
888 Posts
Gotcha....
I have only seen the early doors with the short top, like the ones on your corugated top, on the fixed top 45's. I think the upper rail is in the same spot (maybe a little higher?) on both doors, its just that the verticle peice angles in on the later doors, and it goes straight up (kind of protruding) on the short top doors..... That sound like what YOU were saying all along. Damn I suck at explaining this too! :flipoff2:

Any one have a set of these? the last weird door on the list....

notice they have no regulator, the window slides up soft-door style.
PMK
Landpimp said:
OK, took comparision pics

this is 65 fj40 with corraguated top. Notice the upper frame is stright up and down. No WS on upper horizontal frame, its on the body.

this is my 66 fj45, top and doors the same as a normal/non corraguated top.

and I would sware the angle on the front widnow frame is more raked back on the corragauted(no I can't spell it ;) top then on a removable top 45 or normal 40, because I had a gap when I swaped the door.

Not really sure about the 6 bolt vrs 4 bolt, figured 6 bolt was fixed top 45 or corrugated top 40's. Also no idea about the door fit on a fixed top 45..........don't have one :shaking:

I suck at explaining stuff.......

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
is the hood a pic of a hood that never had the hardware to put the w/s down. i've got one of those...holes were never drilled.

·
Registered
17,121 Posts
from what i've been told, those hoods only came on non removable top shorties and LVs. keep that in the stash for sure!

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
same as the hood on my 65 fj40, no hardware and even the window frame is missing the loops to hold it to the hood. I think only the soft tops and removable top 45's had the hood hardware.

orangefj45 said:
from what i've been told, those hoods only came on non removable top shorties and LVs. keep that in the stash for sure!

·
Desert Rat
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
John, have you checked the VIN number on your 65 corregated top FJ40 against the SOR frame chart? I am very curious to know the production date.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts