Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 F100 4x4
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, first post, looking forward to becoming more active with this forum, but for now, have a question. I'm new to 4x4s, primarily have worked on classic Ford cars, but recently picked up '66 F100 4x4 with Dana 44 front, Dana 60.3 rear. My front hubs have Mile Marker lock outs and both don't function and I’m attempting to replace with new Warn units. I removed the outer lock out mechanism but now attempting to remove the inner sleeve that slides over the axle shaft and has the 6 small hex screws that hold the outer lock out assembly to the hub. For the sleeve, I’ve removed the outer wire retaining ring and inner snap ring but cannot get the sleeve to budge. I've chased the grooves with a pick where the retaining ring and snap ring reside to see if any junk is stuck in there, made a plate and used a puller, and heated up the hub with a torch until the wheel grease boiled, but nothing moves; what finally gives is the screws snap. Appears the sleeve is really rusted into the hub. What are my options here? Can I remove the spindle/knuckle and hammer the outer axle shaft out through the backside? Do I just need to destroy the inner sleeve with an air chisel or am I just entirely missing something?

Thanks!
Brent

Automotive tire Rim Automotive wheel system Auto part Circle

Automotive tire Wood Rim Automotive wheel system Circle

Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Rim Circle

Light Tool Gas Propeller Metal

Eye Gas Snout Metal Personal protective equipment

·
Registered
384 Posts
I had a 1971 F-100 and stock it came with a Dana 30 with mini-king pins.

Dana 30 Front Axle - 1966 to 1971 FORD BRONCO

#51 and #53 are axle lock nuts that take a special 4 prong socket to remove. Though I suppose you could butcher them off with a chisel.

If you check a picture for a Dana 44-6CF (assuming it was swapped in along with the Dana 60) you would see your shaft is not threaded at the end.

Try google "dana 44 internal locking hub diagram"

·
Registered
66 F100 4x4
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, took some bashing but got the hub out then that damn inner sleeve broken up and removed; it was essentially rusted to the hub. Once I broke apart and removed the inner sleeve, then I had access to the lock nuts that require the special 4-prong socket to remove and everything came apart easily.

I believe all 66 F100s 4x4s came with Dana 44 front axles and that appears to be what mine is. Rest of truck is stock so don't believe anything has been swapped out. Additionally, my rear Dana 60.3 is stock, per my VIN; it was an optional upgrade from Ford.

Wheel Automotive tire Machine Rim Circle

·
Registered
66 F100 4x4
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did run into another issue though. Any idea what axle seal goes inside this Dana 44 housing end? The housing bore is 1.99" while the axle shaft is 1.38". I looked up the recommended seal on various websites and keep being pointed to National 40769s, but that has an outer diameter of 2.28". Ford diagrams for this truck state the correct seal is 3254, but I haven't found a way to cross reference that to aftermarket seals. There wasn't a seal installed when I got the hub/axle removed.
Thanks!
Organism Art Font Auto part Drawing

Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Fender Vehicle brake

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
what makes you say that? It keeps the oil out of the knuckle ball.
I believe current warn Dana 44 front hubs will work.

The OP will need to go to Napa Auto parts or check Rock auto and see if they fit.
The OP will need to go to Napa Auto parts or check Rock auto and see if they fit.
I had to use a torch to heat up the hub and everything slid out after the Reatainer clip was removed. I just went through a 60 f100 4x4. If you need help message me.
Look at my really rare old Warn 8 bolt pin style hubs!

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts