Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I ran across this deal out in the boonies. 1966 FJ45 SWB with a fairly crummy flat bed on it but body and interior in real nice shape except for rocker rust on drivers side. But here's the deal... The owner use to be a toyota dealer and ended up with an 89 FJ62 which had been totalled with only had 500 miles on it at the time. This was in the early 90's. So he removed the entire drive train, engine, tranny, T/C, drivelines, axles, supension, steering, the whole fuckin magilla below the frame and stuffed them into the 45. It purportedly doesn't have another 500 miles on it since that time. Needs a paint job and a box and he wants about $6k for the rig. On the one hand, it must handle like a dream. On the other, the charm of the original 45 is largely compromised.

I could make it look like new and run much better than new for half what I've got in my '63. Whaddaya guys think?

·
Discount!
4,540 Posts
If you don't want it, please lead me the deal..... I've been looking for a decent priced 45 truck for longer than alot of you have even known of landcruisers!! I'll snag it up without even looking at it!!! Really... :)

·
Registered
480 Posts
Naaa, it's a rip off. PM me with the guys phone number. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
what do I think?

I think I hate you and your damned luck.

Buy the truck. You will beat yourself later if you don't. Then sell your other one to Dogwalker.

·
Registered
13,473 Posts
dog walker said:
If you don't want it, please lead me the deal..... I've been looking for a decent priced 45 truck for longer than alot of you have even known of landcruisers!! I'll snag it up without even looking at it!!! Really... :)
I thought you were like 31 or 32 or something? I think there are people here that have owned cruisers longer than you have been alive :p

Anyway, I know Deep South is going to be selling his 45lwb soon... 327, sm420, Saginaw, etc. ;)

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3157023&postcount=105

·
Registered
697 Posts
Buy it now Ray! Dont pass it up.
Mike
P.S. if you dont want it call me. remember where you got your trans & t.case :D

·
Registered
10,370 Posts
man, where's that rig hiding?

That's sounds like a smooth setup, auto tranny and all?

thanks for the pimping Mantis, yes, I must sell my FJ45 :( I'm not happy about it BUT I have already purchased the property I was after and the Cruiser herd is going to feel the pain.

Bagsmo, GET US SOME PICTURES!

·
Registered
197 Posts
HOLY CRAP run out there right now and buy it. That is a sweet rig - it will out wheel any other FJ45 AND you can daily drive it comfortably. All you need is a bed for it to make it pretty again. GO GET IT NOW

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I love the bed you have on your other 45. Can you make another one like that one?
In my opinion, you already have the sweetest stock 45 around. Get this one and make it your daily driver or trail rig so you can cruise through the Rubicon again.
-Dustin

·
Registered
697 Posts
Come on Ray, Whats the deal?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I think you are screwing with us. Post up the picts of this rig in your driveway.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I got a call about an "FJ45" a few weeks back from a guy who knew we were into cruisers...after days of tracking the guy down and trying to convince him I was a good guy I got the number and proceded to spend another week tracking the "FJ45's" owner down...get there it's an FJ40 that had been chopped...chopped well, but chopped...guy insisted that the FJ 45 had an hatch behind the driver going to the bed...had a nice Oak bed too. Ran the VIN to show him...FJ40 :rolleyes: I love Maine.

This one does indeed sound interesting though.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, OK calm down. I been working on this deal. Here's an update...

My first post was factually flawed. I heard about the rig, drove by it and looked at it from the outside. The body is as I described it, cuz I saw that myself. I left town and had a friend (non cruiserhead) track down the owner and get the skinny for me. HE told me it was the running gear from an 89 Landcruiser, so I naturally assumed it was a FJ62. I have since spoken to the owner himself. He told me the drive train came from an 87 FJ40 that was rolled and had 365 miles on it, still brand new. I probed a bit, suggesting that, to my knowledge, 1983 was the last year FJ40s were imported to the States so it had to have been an earlier 40 or something in a 60 series. Well he's apprently fairly old and doesn't quite remember the details from that long ago (or he's sticking a big ole drive shaft right up my ass), but is pretty certain it was a 40. I'm getting the engine number to establish the actual year. He confirmed the engine is a 2F with a four speed behind it and everything was replaced from the axles to the engine. Suspension parts questionable. For sure replaced M/C with booster and M/C from later model. Apparently the Toyota mechanics in his shop did the work and he has put something like 3000 miles on it in the ensuing 15 to 20 years. Starts it every 3 months or so. So, sorry for the misinformation.

However, to the extent there is now ANY credibility in the story, I'm actually more interested. I would prefer the 45 with 40 running gear to the 62 drivetrain. Perhaps I'm a perverse purest. I don't mind being pregnant, I just want to be a little bit pregnant. I will be returning to the scene of the crime to inspect and ID it myself in about three weeks. BTW, it apparently has a new 8274 mounted on it.

So now you know! If I opt out of the deal I will pass owner info on to anyone interested.

·
Registered
697 Posts
thanks for the up date Ray
Mike

1 - 20 of 20 Posts