Pirate 4x4 banner

121 - 140 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Looks great!

Even if you are using the FJ40 front axle just keep your eye open for the FJ60 one, then when one comes up you can grab it and have it there for the upgrade down the road.

I'm surprised you have had so much problems sourcing one I see them locally all the time around here. Cost of shipping from here to there would make those deals not worth it though.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
yea the ones I've found are all out of state so shipping is just as much or more than the axle. I want to build a chromoly axle with 1.25 uniball joints on the knuckles. Making it a bullet proof axle with 1" pivot shafts. With higher speeds like I plan on doing, the stock 5/8" shafts are a lil scary. I'd hate to break a knuckle doing 65mph over whoops. Depending how well this suspension works probably higher speeds. I'll just start building that axle as soon as the truck is finished so I can play with the truck while I'm building the upgrade. I'll save up for custom inners and probably 12 bolt 3rd member. Chromoly tubing and plate will run me about $400. Figure about a $2000 axle all together? But won't have to worry about it again.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Well now, I found an upgrade knuckle pin kit. Its for 78 and above due to the larger bolt pattern on the caps but I use to work for a machine shop making aerospace crap for boing and can still get machine work done there so with this kit http://www.marlincrawler.com/steering/high-steer/25mm-steering-upgrade-kit-w-armsI'll machine my own caps and steer arm from chromoly and use the upgrade bearing and shaft. Only ? I have is the hole in the knuckle the same from early years on past 78?? The larger section of the pin on the cap is roughly 1.5 inch on my '67 knuckle. Any of you guys out there with 78+ knuckle know the size of the larger section of the pin? This kit will be the start of the axle upgrade. Screw building a full chromoly axle later on I'll use the basis of this axle. When I break the inners I'll do the upgrade to longfields and at that time have custom length axles made and stretch the shit out of the axle. That way I'm not spending tons of money on an axle but has great strength and width.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Why not run the TG eliminator kit? I busted a stock pin this weekend and it made a mess of everything else. The trade for a larger pin, is a smaller bearing... noly reason I ask.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
.Any of you guys out there with 78+ knuckle know the size of the larger section of the pin?
I can get it for ya here in a few min. just need to go measure it..its from a 84 60 series axle but they should be the same

Just went to double check it and as I thought it is the same 1.5" measurement

I second the vote for the TG eliminator kit...

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I absolutely love my TG eliminator kit.

I have heard that one has broken but I have not seen it.

On a daily driver it may not work great but on a trail rig it rocks.

No more oval bearings and hopefully no more busted pins as long as the studs are torqued.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
Wow! Amazingly cheap too. Well it doesn't say if it'll fit pre '78 but doesnt really matter bc as cheap as the fully loaded knuckle kit is I'll go for that with the six shooter top arm. Well now, something I haven't been sure of is if the ball and claw axles can be upgraded to longfields? It has the bushing style bearing in it. If so I'll just hang on to this axle and stretch it and upgrade the inners when the ball and claw breaks.

Go for the fully loaded six shooter knuckle kit and bearing eliminator kit now. Do the rest later. Thanks guys!! TG is where I got my hydro kit but didn't know about this knuckle kit. Weird bc I've been searching for something like this but haven't seen it pop up. Thanks for the info guys!! Hopefully meet you guys at glamis or more than likely moab!! It's cool having people follow my build, my first time building a rig on my own and new to the upgrades and conversions and stuff that are out there. Kinda feel like you guys are the big brother haha!! :cookie:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Nice work mister.:smokin:
LONGFIELD! Thanks! This is the first of probably many trucks I'll build. Well since we got you on here it'll save me a phone call lol. Will I be able to upgrade my drive axles later on to your set up on a 67 fj40 axle? Or is that bushing too small? I thought I read that the ball and claw is a smaller axle and can't be updated only post '69 when birfields were introduced.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
yeah that would be what I would do the TG 6 shooter knuckle kit is stupid cheap and eliminates a lot of problems with the 4 bolt arm set-up.. at least you chose to go the eliminator route eliminate it all in one shot!!:laughing:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Yea that's really cheap for that set up didn't expect that. Depending if longfields will work on this axle I think I'll go with the chromoly spindle kit too since its pretty reasonably priced. I don't know where my head was when I was searching for this stuff! haha! :shaking: I feel a bit better about the axle set up now

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
ok another issue I found today. If I update the knuckles I'll have to update the spindle shafts as well. BUT thats bc the guy at trail gear knows that its bc the spindle is slightly larger ID for the birfield 30 spline axle, he thinks..:shaking: He doesn't have an older spindle to match up so if I can use your guys's help it'll be awesome! few things I need to find out

Has anybody tried bolting a pre '78 spindle onto the '78 newer knuckles? I read mixed info on what exactly the difference is. Heard it was the length of the spindle, ID of the spindle tube or the 8 hole bolt pattern on the flange. anybody know what the differences are? What else changed besides disk brakes that year?? I have a disk brake conversion but based on a bracket bolted to my stock 67 spindle hole pattern.

Basically what I'm trying to do here is update my knuckles to the 6 shooter (based off '78 newer mini truck knuckles) and the bearing eliminator kit BUT still run my ball and claw for now till I can afford upgrading to longfields. If THAT is even possible haha. I'll call TG back and get ID, OD and the length of the spindle to see if my existing hubs and outer axles will still work with their chromoly spindle upgrade. That will be the easy way out just buy the upgrade spindle with the other kits and be done!! If not hopefully my '67 spindle will be the same 8 hole pattern as a 78 newer knuckle so I can still use my hubs and disk brakes.

Any of you guys with spare parts laying around might be able to match those up for me?

Is there a class on toyota front axles?????!!!!! haha

Worst case I'll buy the kits slowly when money is available. Hopefully I won't have to buy new hubs, spindles, disk brakes, and drive hubs just to update the knuckles.

nobody seems to know much on the ball and claw pre '68 axles!! errr!! :confused::confused:

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
don't waste your time and money on any other knuckle kits get rid of the birth-fields and put some d60 stock or better your ram is going to rip even the 6 bolt knuckle arms out if not break the casing,get spider trax inners and outer you will be glad you did if not just got with cheaper d60 outers, bobby long can set you up with his CV joints that are bullet proof, believe me i,ve cal city 10.jpg
been there,also forgive me if i have missed it but i can believe your are using the stock transfer case ,i broke 3 in half within a year before i put my big ass 42,s on.
Very nice work on your build looking good

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
Wow nice rig!! Yea running stock tcase. Ive broken the case and gears a few times now. D60 and new tcase will be awesome but so would having the $$ to buy it!! Lol I don't have that kind of money right now. Saving up for a house so what play money I have I put to the cruiser. That's why I wasn't planning on building an axle for a while but I'm torn what to do! Eventually I will but right I think the knuckle kit won't be too bad of a buy. I'd be able to sell it all later if I could upgrade it. Obviously won't get nearly as much back tho :/

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
i run the six shooter and the trunion bearing eliminator kit- and i have nothing but nice stuff to say about it. if you want to build a truck to launch and have 800 hp and gonna run big tires-you need something other than tlc axles. they can only take so much, like everything else. for trail use, and relatively hard wheeling they are awesome-if your planning on hitting the logs at TTC with them at full throttle-think again.

i would also reccomend the rock rings and super wiper seal fuckers-they are also worth the money imho.

121 - 140 of 216 Posts