Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have a 68 f100 swb and want to convert it over to a 4x4,first ? what is my best axle swap for the front? and are there any difficult areas to plan for? what t-case would be my best option? also i have a stout little 240 in it that i would like to run until it blows, but i have a 302 waiting on that day....will a c-6 bolt up to a 240 my 3 speed is shot so i have to get a tranny and would like to just get a c-6 so it will match up to my 302? any other input is welcome.............i'm hoping this will be a low budget build so keep that in mind...............thanks

·
Registered
664 Posts
I converted my '67 F100 2wd shorbox to 4x4 a few years back.

You will need a decent amount of lift to clear the 2wd engine crossmember. I think I have roughly 8" of suspension lift.

I ran leafs in my rig, with a Dana 44 front axle (soon to be a 60 front), and I ran a Dana 60 rear axle.

Transfer case, I ran an NP208, then I busted it (behind an NP435 and a healthy 390). I just put in an NP205 transfer case this week, and need to build a new rear d-shaft (hopefully tomorrow). Front axle will hopefully get to the junkyard this week, so I can get it installed by next weekend.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

The biggest problem is lack of clearance for t-cases under those trucks. A little bodylift would be nice, but it isn't necessary.

·
Registered
316 Posts
why not just hack out the cross member and build one just in front of the motor like the 4wd frame?

I am thinking of doing the swap in a 76 and if I go this rought I plan to use the stock placement for the radius arm brackets to push out the front end by around 11". I figured if I got to box the frame for the steering box and set up everything anyway might as well get what I want...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just talked to a guy and he said that an aod would fit the 240 and 302, so thats cool yeah the clearance issue can be fixed.....i was just thinking i have a 97 explorer i may just build it and restore my 68....this sucks i can never make up my mind on crap:D

·
Registered
146 Posts
Get on Craigs list and advertise for a frame. I tried to sell a 79 F-150 4 x 4 frame here in Cal and there were no takers @ 100.00
I ended up cutting it up and loaded it in the scrap bin
I will shortly have a 79 4x4 swb frame available.
Located in central cal.

Bronco_Rider

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had to do the same thing ended shortining a 68 f-100 frame 16 inches but it was much easier than using the 2wd frame. now im putting every thing on a 77 150 frame so i can have power steering and disk brakes and it only costed $80 so check on craigs list and see what you can find

1 - 6 of 6 Posts