Pirate 4x4 banner
261 - 280 of 330 Posts

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #261 ·
Not much to update but one of the guys finished up a video from our San Quintin memorial day Baja trip.

I replaced one of the HID conversion ballast connectors with a weatherpack to fix my headlight-out issue...
Gonna change some fluids and do a bolt check and we're heading out to San Felipe for the Pete's camp poker run next weekend.

video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trStlATpBXE

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #262 ·
So this past weekend I went down to San Felipe, Baja to attend the annual Pete's Camp Poker Run. A friend of mine from the cal poly days has been talking about this event for years and this year his cousin and some of the rest of that family invited me down to join in on the fun. It's awesome.

The poker run is basically 60ish miles of offroad course around San Felipe. You draw a card with your entry fee ($40), get your free shirt. Then you start running the course where there's 3 checkpoints. Each checkpoint gives you another card (that you can't see) and the finish line gives you a 5th. The second checkpoint also gives you a taco lunch and 2 free drinks (beers) included with your entry. Basically your time to finish the course matters a grand total of absolutely nothing, and the winner for each class is based on poker hand. Prize is a $10 trophy. Mucho Fun, low stress.

Except when you break your god damn upper link on your truck and have to limp your ass off the course and trailer it out of there. (me)
Some pictures & video.

Pre-race-jumping video:
https://youtu.be/u3gBRn_PKsQ

yes, the pathfinder finished the race.
Yes, i know I suck.

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #265 ·
Thanks guys. The poker run is a rad event, highly recommend it.

In other news, my wishbone is very broken and I think it may have tweaked my frame-side upper link mounts because I'm having a bitch of a time getting them removed. Might have to hammer out a 4-link conversion before new years.

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #266 ·
After breaking my upper wishbone for the second time, I've decided that putting bending into a high-stress suspension link isn't the way to go. So i'm converting to 4 link.

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #268 ·
^thanks dude!

This past weekend a bunch of my PolyGoat buddies got together for one dude's 30th birthday celebration at Pismo. Huge thanks to my homie Chris for coming by the house and helping me hammer out all the little details to make it to Pismo this past weekend. There was definitely more work than I would have been able to finish by myself in that timeframe.

Anyhow, the new tie rod & 4-link conversion worked well in the sand. I'll have a better feel for differences in the desert when the truck isn't pushing everywhere.
Not running spares in the rear exacerbated my front shock tuning issues. I'll have to see if the heroes at AccuTune can sneak in a revalve for me before new years.

Thanks to my buddy Ben for actually taking pictures!

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #270 ·
Thanks guys.

My buddy Ryan @ Accutune Offroad took some footage of me burning down the boone road wooops. He set me up with a fresh tune on the front, video exists on instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bdad4BbDiXg/

JV New years was pretty fun. It's always good getting all my college hooligan friends together on the lakebed to wrap up a year. This year we had a bunch of new members hammer on their stuff to get it to the lakebed so the group was pretty wide ranging in age, experience, and truck.

Anyway, truck stuff. We did a run from the lakebed out to Pioneertown via Rattlesnake canyon south of highway 247. Pretty fun little canyon but it's not typical desert stuff, so that was pretty entertaining. Be warned...the people on the south exit of the canyon HAAAAAAAAATE off-roaders ripping through their private roads...we got shouted at by a rent-a-ranger. woops.

The not so fun part was starting to lose my brakes because I'm leaking past the cap on my master cylinder. They've never been right since it's a factory master cylinder and i'm running all discs now so i'm shopping for upgrades now.

If anyone has a line on some brake upgrade options for calipers & rotors that work with the factory 5x5.5" front steer 1" kingpin spindles then i'm all ears.

· Change is good.
37,509 Posts

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #274 ·
Please sell me this truck, haha. Love this thing.
Thanks man but oof, I can't even imagine selling this truck. I've got so much effort into it.
Lately I've got a bug creeping in my head to race the 1000 and I can't do that in this truck. So maybe someday this will hit the classifieds...

Ask him about the snaggletooth chicks in Vegas? :evil:
Oh man. Will do. Ryan's got some great stories from way-back-when, can't wait to hear that one.
--
Truck Update:
So I did a little research into the F100 "hot rod" world and discovered that, surprise, a ton of other dudes convert these old bumpsides to 4 wheel disc brakes. Shocker.

My problem: brake master cylinder was leaking past the cap at new years. Also, my brakes were always sooooft as fuuuuuck.

So i decided to go for 2 birds and replaced the master cylinder with a new unit intended for a 78 f150. Factory 4 wheel disc brakes, bolts right up to the 1969 booster, and it has the outputs on the engine-side of the cylinder body to get my lines away from my shock. I also realized that the gigantic dead spot in my pedal was because my pushrod wasn't adjusted to the right length. I'm an idiot.
So, had to make some new front lines, adjusted the pushrod, buddy-bled the system, and now i've got a god-damn-normal pedal that stops when I want and not kind-of-in-the-vicinity-of-where-i-requested.

Bonus points: the clamp holding the lid on this master cylinder is a beast.

lame pics for proof:

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #275 ·
Dudes - i need your opinions on an annoyance I have with my 460. It leaks oil.
I've been able to zero in on the sources - it spits out of the dipstick tube & from the PCV ports on my valve covers.

I'm running a "ford racing" aftermarket oil pan from summit & generic ass chromed steel valve covers. The dipstick is a Lokar job with a single o-ring on it. The dipstick that came with the oil pan doesn't fit with my headers.

The PCV valve & breather are just simple summit racing parts too. All very generic. I have my PCV going to an intake port on my manifold (existing threaded port) and the opposite valve cover has a standard breather with a hose going to my air cleaner. PCV valve still rattles around as it should but I still have a layer of oil on my PCV-side cover & the other side is clean (of oil anyway).

Just did an oil change and I DEFINITELY didn't get 5 quarts of oil from it. Suppose that makes sense considering how much oil is all over everything else. Really frustrating. I'm thinking a new oil pan & dipstick will be my solution for the bottom end but I'm clueless on the top-end.

Does anyone have recommendations on better solutions for these areas?

· Registered
14,403 Posts
Does anyone have recommendations on better solutions for these areas?
More breather area.
How big is the fresh air vent?
PCV only works at idle/low load, when you're flat out or engine braking (so basically the entire time you're beating on it) it isn't doing anything. All of the blowby has to find its way out the breather.

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #279 ·
I'm pretty sure my PCV system is just all freakin' wrong.
My brake booster goes to the full manifold port on my carb & my PCV goes to one port on the intake manifold on one of the runners.
The opposite side valve cover breather goes into the air cleaner pan.

I'm gonna swap the brake booster & PCV vacuum lines and see if that helps.
I think i've just got too much crankcase pressure which is causing the oil to burp out of all it's available holes.

---
So this weekend went about as bad as possible, all 3 of my trucks had issues.

On the f100, i'm under the damn thing getting stuff into position to re-assembly my rear suspension and I find the cage tube that connects the upper link mounts together is sheared right the hell through on both sides right at the ends of the mounts. Fatigue & cyclical bending are real, ya'll.
I'm gonna sleeve and install a piece of 1-3/4"x1/4" wall in this section once I figure out how i'm going to get a sleeved piece in there.

I've got a unholy amount of shit to do in order to make baja: fix this cage issue, rebuild my radius arms, fix my PCV routing. then just the general prep of bolt & fluids check.

261 - 280 of 330 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.