Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 69 FJ40 and the rear axle has been converted to disc brakes. Anybody recommend a master cylinder, proportioning valve and booster that will work with that upgrade?

also on a side note - how about an electric fan that works good?

Thanks!

·
Read Only
353 Posts
I'm using an FJ80 cylinder in a manual brake setup. You'll need a spacer to put the cylinder in the correct orientation for the rod coming from the brake pedal. I'm using a simple proportioning valve from Jegs and avoided the boosted brakes because of the ribs on the firewall. I also chose at the moment to not use hydroboost because I don't want the added complexity of running more hydraulic lines other than the ones I have for my assist.
I used the JT Outfitters disc brake conversion brackets with monte carlo calipers.
My truck has a 1969 build date so the same as yours.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
I'd try to avoid electric fans and stick with a mechanical for the sake of simplicity and reliability.

That said, an early Ford Taurus fan and shroud look like they were built for a 40. They work great but draw allot of power at startup, requiring a BIG relay. Cheap, too. About $40 at the junkyard last time I bought one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts