Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been pondering doing a diesel swap into my truck for awhile, dont like the fuel consumption of the big block, dont like how hard i have to turn it, just no fun anymore really, a buddy offered to sell me a 6BT cummins for a reasonable price, so i think im gonna grab it. i have been looking at www.fordcummins.com and think iwant the diesel, but think i dont wanna pay what they want for the damn adapters and shit...anyone got the downlow on this swap??
Later
Dan

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
pretty heavy for your front springs / brakes / etc....

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'd use a cummins engine with the tranny(2wd) and hook it to a divorced 205, that way no adapters. Also, Use a Cummins with the manual pump, that way you don't need any electronics. And if you're not good in fabrication, then you probably shouldn't do that swap.
That cummins is a huge engine, It'll be tight in there. Also, you seriously need some heavy duty coils in the front.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah guys, i realize the Cummins is heavy, i had taken that into consideration. If i do this swap i will definately have to change front springs, and will also probably change the entire front axle...which is why this is a way off in the way off idea, was just sorta thinking of picking up the engine and starting to gather parts...but who knows, i have been threatening to put a 300 in this truck since the day i brought it home!
Later
Dan

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
You'd be adding about 400 lbs of front axle weight if you figure a 6bt at around 1100 lbs. The 4bt weighs about the same as your 429 (~750 lbs). Pan clearance should be your only fit issue.

6bt redline is 2800 & peak torque around 1500 - you don't really need the 4.57's even running 38.5's.

Some of the 4bt re-powered E350 bread vans have a Cummins + ford np435 combo. You might be better off just buying a whole truck with a 4bt+ford tranny and doing the swap from there. That way you have everything you could possibly need, and it should be pretty straightforward swap.

Somebody here on PBB swapped a 4bt into an early Bronco, you might want to search and see if you can find them.

·
Registered
189 Posts
There was a post on here a while back about a 90's Bronco from PA with a 6BT swap. There is also a 78 or 79 F250/350 on Ebay right now with a 6BT in it. Looks very clean, just wish it was a crewcab!

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
There was a post on here a while back about a 90's Bronco from PA with a 6BT swap. There is also a 78 or 79 F250/350 on Ebay right now with a 6BT in it. Looks very clean, just wish it was a crewcab!
That is vetteboy's tow rig. The build is in his sig

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,986 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts