Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I am doing a 6.2L LS swap into my wagoner will be using the 6L80e tranny that came with it. I am wanting to hear from others that have done this swap. My 205 is a GM figure 8 passenger drop. I found a set up through Advance Adapters but wanted to hear from those who have done it. My 205 already has the 32 spline input as it's been mated to my 4L80. Just wanting to know the following:

1. what adapter set up did you use?
2. What shifter set up did you use? ( I have a JB Fab triple stick. One operates the tranny and the other two are for the 205).

Thanks for the help.
Wag-on!

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Check the output vrs input lengths, you should be able to use a th400 fig8 adapter with a LONG INPUT and pssibly some trimming of the output shaft.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Gm made it for about 15yrs in cast iron, i believe advanced adapter makes them out of cast alum.

I am not aware that anyone is making it with built in clocking. There are a couple of mfg that make fig clocking plates that will suck up any extra shaft length.

·
Registered
594 Posts
im going to run the same setup on my FSJ... i dont have the 32 spline input on mine yet though is the only problem... however even though both would be the right 6 bolt pattern i read somewhere that the case would need machined in order to fit and seal properly... trying to find that info again myself...

·
Registered
594 Posts
ya 6l is on the left... the plug at the bottom right is to the TCM for the engine harness...

i have both laying on my shop floor... the 6 bolt pattern isnt the problem from what i remember reading though... it was a sealing issue... keeping the fluids separate between the two...

·
Registered
15,491 Posts
ya 6l is on the left... the plug at the bottom right is to the TCM for the engine harness...

i have both laying on my shop floor... the 6 bolt pattern isnt the problem from what i remember reading though... it was a sealing issue... keeping the fluids separate between the two...

:confused: my 205 has a seal on the input allowing me to let tranny fluid fill the adapter.

·
Registered
594 Posts
shit if i know... my trannys output has no seal... i can see all in the guts... so i guess so...

that outer diameter of the seal holder on the 205 seems to be a different size then whats on the AWD case i took off the 6l80e... about 1/4in... i wonder if thats the issue...

·
Registered
15,491 Posts
i had to remove the output seal on my nv4500 in order to fit the 205 behind it(letting fluid fill the adapter/tail housing), only reason i even know about that seal on the 205 :laughing:

·
Registered
594 Posts
side note that 6l80e above is a 4x2 setup... mines 4x4 but i guess the same 6 bolt pattern is up further... so could probably take some lengh out buy cutting down the shaft...

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Yes, its open to the trans.

It is imperative that gm tcase a gasket sealed to the adapter. Most jeep/chys/ford stuff issealed units that dont need surface sealing. In fact most 231/241 chys adapters have a hole inbetween the cases on the adapter, if you gasketed them it wold do nothing.

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts
I used a 4wd 6l80, elongated two holes and bolted it up to the 205. Input on 205 fits tight into the factory adapter and centers the t-case. I am using a short input in the 205. It has worked great and held up to racing for the past two years. Plenty of low end in low range.

·
Registered
594 Posts
then why the heck a $700 adapter... thats ridiculous... it sounds like even a simple adapter could be used if you didnt wanna waller out the two holes... so you kept the 4x4 adapter on the back of the trans correct? if it was pulled do you think it would shorten everything up?? it looks like the same 6 bolts pattern as well...

·
blatant asshole
12,112 Posts
then why the heck a $700 adapter... thats ridiculous... it sounds like even a simple adapter could be used if you didnt wanna waller out the two holes... so you kept the 4x4 adapter on the back of the trans correct? if it was pulled do you think it would shorten everything up?? it looks like the same 6 bolts pattern as well...
Thwy are not the same patterns. You wouldnt even be able to bolt them together, you would also lose you mounting pad.

·
Registered
594 Posts
700.00 for a square donut from AA ?

Or is the T Case a early model figure 8 NP205 ?

As you can see from reading below the round pattern np205 is cheaper to adapt to your nv4500 or 4L80E transmission provding you have the correct transmission output shafts.

If the transmission is the 4L80E and the T Case is a 6 bolt round pattern then you can buy a (as I call it) Square donut adapter from AA for between 75.00 and 125.00 from a number of places online.

This one is 101.00 at summitracing.com

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/add-50-6910?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-advance-adapters&gclid=CNKM__aJs84CFUOSfgodD-IJSw

My case is a 6 bolt... dude above said he didnt even need that adapter u showed... not sure why you would unless you had the chevy long input maybe?? And were speaking on a 6l80e... some say they are the same... AA says different according to part numbers if i remmeber right... could be wrong...

·
Registered
594 Posts
The 700 adapter i was looking at was for the figure 8... novak nor AA makes one for the 205 to 6 bolt... probably cause itll bolt up like said... just gotta swap the input shaft...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts