Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been toying with the idea of building a 6x6 expedition style truck for long off-trail trips and such. I've been looking for options other than just building a new body on a Deuce and a Half, but the tandem axles are proving difficult. Does anyone have any thoughts for a rugged tandem axle source? I'd rather look at something that was designed as a system rather than a bandage like the USA 6x6 thing (or StarTrek, or whatever they're calling themselves today.). Thanks in advance.

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,986 Posts
You can't get much easier/cheaper/beefier than Rockwells from a deuce and a half. They are already set up for it.

Find a M109 contact truck, or M292 expando van. Ready made box on the back already.

id_m109a3_full.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those are both laudable ideas. I've only seen class 8 water trucks with tandoms though. I may end up using the axles out of a deuce and a half, but for now I'm looking for other options too. I've a couple of people on the boards talking about a bloke that put a redrive pinion on the back of a Dana 80 and ran that over to another Dana 80 that had been flipped (to go the right way). Does anyone know anything about that system?

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
So many guys are "bobbing" their M35s lately that it should be easy to find a complete tandem rear suspension for cheap. Find yourself two rear 2.5 ton rockwells and you have everything you need to use under whatever platform you decide on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts