Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
To each their own I guess. Not like it's a rare antique on anything, but what a way to fuck up a good rifle.

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
The link talked about reduced loads, etc. True, there is a reduction in V due to the SHORT barrel. Care to speculate on the Velocity ? What is typical Mil surp MN ball ammo ? 180 grain at around 2750/2800 from a 29-inch barrel ? What does the mastebater have, 6-inches ?? :lmao: Maybe 2,200/2,300 fps ? As he said, they were clearing benches off, prolly from the break. Anyways, he's still got a butt load of recoil. As shown here on PBB, there is no grip. It's going straight back. The OP in the link mentioned another horrible sacrificial butchering, a broomhandle Mauser handle stuck on it like some weird psycho hybrid scene from the evil kid "extremely dangerous" in the movie Toy Story.
From the builder

It actually has a little less than 2 inches of rifling
and

Muzzleblast is awesome, recoil is minimal

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
Talk about a bunch of haters :D
Seems just like the kind of gunfawkery we always talk about.
Money says if Doc did this and posted it up a bunch of you would all be step all over each other to praise it.

I would try and make a real pistol grip for it, but cool idea.

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
Money says if Doc did this and posted it up a bunch of you would all be step all over each other to praise it.

My reaction would have been the same, I just wouldn't have posted. :D

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
I'd have to agree, if I had a Mosin with a shitty barrel I would have no problem doing this, but I would want a pistol grip somewhere.

·
Registered
8,026 Posts
While I don't "like" it as pictured, I appreaciate the gunfawkery!

Make a stock with a better grip and maybe something more to grap up front.

Oh, when and why did they de-mil 91/30s??

·
3d Artist for Hire!
19,323 Posts

No. I'd still hate it. Not everyone swings off of Doc's nuts. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
That's what I was wondering. Cali thing maybe?

Or is it the once a rifle always a rifle ATF thing... Or is that pistols? I never really bothered looking into how all that works.
Not a CA thing, but a federal thing.

The ATF has varying opinions on "C&R" type receivers. They're more of a "rifle" than your new produced AR receiver. It's a horribly gray area.

By "destroying" the receiver (diagonal saw cuts, the ATF specifies how/where), it is no longer a firearm. Then they are able to weld it back, creating a "virgin" receiver that is then turned into a pistol.

You can see where the receiver was cut and re-welded in the picture- I'm sure they're leaving that as evidence of the new construction.

·
Registered
6,962 Posts
Not a CA thing, but a federal thing.

The ATF has varying opinions on "C&R" type receivers. They're more of a "rifle" than your new produced AR receiver. It's a horribly gray area.

By "destroying" the receiver (diagonal saw cuts, the ATF specifies how/where), it is no longer a firearm. Then they are able to weld it back, creating a "virgin" receiver that is then turned into a pistol.

You can see where the receiver was cut and re-welded in the picture- I'm sure they're leaving that as evidence of the new construction.
So legally I can't take one of my 91/30s chop the stock down and then shorten the barrel to make one of these? But I can cut one or two in half, weld it back together and I'm ok?

I bet that law has saved a lot of lives and kept guns out of criminals' hands. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
So legally I can't take one of my 91/30s chop the stock down and then shorten the barrel to make one of these? But I can cut one or two in half, weld it back together and I'm ok?

I bet that law has saved a lot of lives and kept guns out of criminals' hands. :rolleyes:
Wait... these laws are supposed to make SENSE?

It was really fun at my last compliance check, plopping three non-date marked 1894 Brazilian small-ring Mauser receivers marked as 28g shotguns in front of the agent and saying "so, what do you all consider these?"

·
Registered
6,962 Posts
Wait... these laws are supposed to make SENSE?

It was really fun at my last compliance check, plopping three non-date marked 1894 Brazilian small-ring Mauser receivers marked as 28g shotguns in front of the agent and saying "so, what do you all consider these?"
I imagine he twitched a few times while repeating "Does not compute" until his head finally exploded, right?

·
Registered
28,781 Posts
I'd shoot it and laugh my ass off everytime I pulled the trigger.

well, I might cry a little at first when it breaks my wrist, but then I'd giggle.

·
Premium Member
17,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Remember, I built a PSL kit into a 9" pistol a couple of years ago. Aside from not getting the gas system 100%, it was interesting. Blast was horrific, but the recoil was minimal. I honestly had a lot more fun building the thing than shooting it.

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
Now I would build it as a clone of typical afghanistan/Khyber pass backup weapon that have been made quite a few years now. But it is pretty pointless and ugly as fuck :laughing: if you google search you'll find better but also more ghetto real world examples

·
Registered
6,962 Posts
Now I would build it as a clone of typical afghanistan/Khyber pass backup weapon that have been made quite a few years now. But it is pretty pointless and ugly as fuck :laughing: if you google search you'll find better but also more ghetto real world examples
I think I saw a couple in the pile we hauled and then they blew up today. :laughing: :nuke:

Some of you guys would cry if you saw some of the caches that are found and then blown up.

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
Did any of you dumbshits even read the thread? The guy is making a Han Solo blaster clone (bolt action). The stock pictured is just a stopgap until he gets all the required pieces machined.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts