Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and came up with needing .812" ID tubing. Meaning 1.25" x.219 tubing is what I need (that is if I can find it).
Also, e-taps is where it is recommended to buy some cheap taps for the tubing? And is there a cheaper reaming tool out there other than the Snap on one? It is 3/4" correct?

Anything else I am missing?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
.812 ID 1 1/4" Dom is not uncommon, the snap on reamer is crap IMO (and not exactly the rite taper either but close enough acording to those that run it) go with a better one like www.stockcarproducts.com or www.goodson.com and it's 1 1/2" per foot reamer.
There are plenty of people that will make and sell you the tubes for less money than you will have in material and taps, so unless you want to start manufacturing them I would not waste my money if I was you.
HTH

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good advice, but as it looks, I will probabally be spending $250 plus shipping for the tie rod and drag link, then will need to ream out the knuckles/pitman arm myself anyway.
Taps (I believe) are about $40 for the LH thread, and $20 for the RH thread. At $5 a foot for tubing (high guestimate), that leaves me at about $50 in tubing, abotu $100 in tie rod ends, $10 in jam nuts, and $60 in taps. That sets me at $220, plus another $40 for the reamer that I have to buy anyway.

Unless I caclulated something wrong, I would be spending less, buying the parts and doing it. On top of that, it gives me the option of making more tie rods, etc for myself later on down the road if I wish.

Thanks for the links, checking them out now.

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ouch, $80 for the tapered reamer from stockcar products. Couldnt find one from goodson. I think, for something I will rarely use, i woudl much rather pay half as much for the snap on one.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I have the reamer and live in La Habra, if you wanna use it email me. I am also making my own tie rods, and have the 7/8ths weld in inserts right and left hand threads, and reccomend you get some too. Pig will set you up and we could buy tubing together and save.

·
Premium Member
7,659 Posts
Another option to avoid spendy taps is use 1.5 x 0.250 wall DOM tubing and use threaded inserts that weld into the tubing. You can get left and right hand threaded inserts and jam nuts.

·
Broke Bastard
4,115 Posts
GRM said:

Taps (I believe) are about $40 for the LH thread, and $20 for the RH thread.

I payed $50 for the LH tap. usually costs more. I got mine in a group by sorta deal with Shaker

At $5 a foot for tubing (high guestimate)
I payed $5.65 per foot with my buisiness discount. standard retail is more like $7.xx per foot

10 in jam nuts
Marts mike has these for a good price, but recommended I go directly to the dealer to save money. I bought 2 lefts and 2 rights for $17. again. buisiness discount. walk-ins may pay more.

$40 for the reamer that I have to buy anyway.
Reamer is double that. I have the SnapOn reamer. It IS a POS. do yourself a favor and skip it.

I would have been alot better off just buying the 2 rods. Give Parts Mike a call ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts