Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Go figure the only automatic truck I've ever owned is giving me fits :laughing:

Anyway 89 K1500 with a 700r4. It's shifting really weird. It doesn't slip but it doesn't like to go into gear. It stays in first unless you rev it until your almost floating the valves, then it will snap right into second, and slide into third. It will not go into overdrive.

Checked the fluid, it was only a half a quart low. Doesn't slip when it does shift. I checked the kick down cable but it doesn't seem to have any play in it. Could it be the governor?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I would readjust or take your truck into a auto trans shop to adjust the tv cable properly those 700r4's are terribly bad for those slip issues when that isnt adjusted properly.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Go figure the only automatic truck I've ever owned is giving me fits :laughing:

Anyway 89 K1500 with a 700r4. It's shifting really weird. It doesn't slip but it doesn't like to go into gear. It stays in first unless you rev it until your almost floating the valves, then it will snap right into second, and slide into third. It will not go into overdrive.

Checked the fluid, it was only a half a quart low. Doesn't slip when it does shift. I checked the kick down cable but it doesn't seem to have any play in it. Could it be the governor?
Too tight will do exactly what you are describing and, for obvious reasons, wouldn't have play in the TV cable at idle.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Too tight will do exactly what you are describing and, for obvious reasons, wouldn't have play in the TV cable at idle.
Would it tighten up on it's own? I haven't touch the trans since I bought the truck

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Would it tighten up on it's own? I haven't touch the trans since I bought the truck
Generally speaking, no, the mechanism for adjustment up by the throttle body can't work on its own. A cable that is bound up or something happening internally in the transmission that isn't allowing it to return all the way could be a problem though.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Sounds like your TV valve setup in the VB is wearing out and getting stuck. Very common for this trans. The small valve inside the throttle valve setup is stuck. They do make several aftermarket setups to fix this issue.

Depending on your comfort level messing with autos you could pull the VB and install your own shift kit or Sonnax makes a setup to solve this. If you head into a trans shop be ready for them to sell you a trans. Cause your 3/4 clutch pack is probably shot anyway. :D

The cable that connects to your throttle body is what pulls on the throttle valve and modulates shift timing and pressure. When the valve gets stuck in the stroked position its causes your delayed upshifts. And it is extremely common for it to get stuck. I used to build transmissions for a living.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Sounds like your TV valve setup in the VB is wearing out and getting stuck. Very common for this trans. The small valve inside the throttle valve setup is stuck. They do make several aftermarket setups to fix this issue.

Depending on your comfort level messing with autos you could pull the VB and install your own shift kit or Sonnax makes a setup to solve this. If you head into a trans shop be ready for them to sell you a trans. Cause your 3/4 clutch pack is probably shot anyway. :D

The cable that connects to your throttle body is what pulls on the throttle valve and modulates shift timing and pressure. When the valve gets stuck in the stroked position its causes your delayed upshifts. And it is extremely common for it to get stuck. I used to build transmissions for a living.
Old thread same issue. I can snap my tv cable and it will clear up for a while. Trans has less than 10,000 miles since rebuild. Will a shift kit fix this? what is this sonnax setup you speak of? Thanks

·
Registered
470 Posts
Old thread same issue. I can snap my tv cable and it will clear up for a while. Trans has less than 10,000 miles since rebuild. Will a shift kit fix this? what is this sonnax setup you speak of? Thanks
You'll have to pull your Valve Body. But these will solve it. You can use just the Shift kit alone and follow the instructions, but the sonnax plunger kit is nice addition to the Shift kit. The plunger kit alone will not resolve the stuck valve issue, only the Shift kit will. And you must be CLEAN with your work. Check out these links.

TransGo THM 700R4, 4L60: SK 700-JR

Sonnax Throttle Valve Plunger Valve Kit - 77966-94MK

1 - 9 of 9 Posts