Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 83chevy 4x4 350 with the 700r trans its got 3:08 gears and i am running 33in tires, I am thinking of swapping the trans for a th350 or th400 mainly because of cost, I dont need the o/d anyway! what do you think? thanks!:confused:

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
You dont need the O/D because you got 3.08s. With 3.08s and the higher first gear of a 400 or 350 you will really be boggin under load. 700 = 3.06, 400 = 2.58 I think. I think you should swap gears.

Charlo

·
Registered
354 Posts
I went to 4.10 and 35". Without OD I would be screwed. I just bought a reman 700R4 4WD from my local partshouse with all of the updates and also a updated TC for $891.00 out the door.

Now how the hell do I lift it into the truck:question:

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
35s, 4.10s, and no OD, you can still cruise at 75. Granted OD is certainly nice.

As far as putting in it:

1. Be a man and lift it up in there.
2. Balance it on a floor jack w/some wood blocks.
3. Buy a cheapie tranny jack adapter for your floor jack from HF.
4. Buy/borrow a real tranny jack.

I've used all 3 methods, and while #4 is the best, I currently use #3. I think I paid ~$40 on sale for the tranny jack adapter.

Pete

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
well i know the first one will work for a "T" case.

that's how i used to put in my 205.

sometimes i would set it on a floor jack in any old way and jack it up near the trans then i could sit up and just grab it off the jack and stick it on the trans then hold it on with a hand and start a bolt.

Warning!!!
You may fart while using this method!!!!!!:eek:

·
Registered
354 Posts
I want to get this thing in and out all as one peice (trans+t-case)
The shape and size of a 208 does not lend itself to being picked up. It likes to fall heavily to tha passenger side.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
IMO, its much easier to remove the extra 6 bolts, and pull off the t-case. A 208 can easily be lifted without a jack, both when removing and when reinstalling.

Pete

·
Registered
354 Posts
I just finnished removing the trans and t-case as one unit. A motorcycle lift of harley size and a pair of 6x6 blocks was enough to support the whole thing. It came out as 1 peice and still fit under the frame(barley). Got the new set put up the same way. My local NAPA autoparts flubbed the t-case output shaft seal so I have to wait till tomarrow to finish.
Thanks for all the help,
Scott

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
charlo said:

It might be do able but suppoting a np205 with one hand sounds like a bitch. I would much rather support it with 2 hands and make the MRS. tighten the bolts :D

Charlo
i used one hand to push the "T" case towards the trans and my shoulder with rags for padding on it to hold it up to the correct oreintation and one hand to tighten a bolt. so i guess i used more than one hand.

and when i was done i hade to go get my liver put back in me, cause it fell out.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
pcorssmit said:

1. Be a man and lift it up in there.
2. Balance it on a floor jack w/some wood blocks.
3. Buy a cheapie tranny jack adapter for your floor jack from HF.
4. Buy/borrow a real tranny jack.

I've used all 3 methods, and while #4 is the best, I currently use #3. I think I paid ~$40 on sale for the tranny jack adapter.

Pete
You've used all 3 of the 4 methods :laughing:

As for the HF adapter, the one I used damn near killed me! That thing was a POS! It's the only thing I have EVER taken back to HF! :eek:

The OD is nice, but you can't beat the parts availability and reputation for the TH350!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.