Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok apparently the 700r4's in 91 have to be "told" when to go into overdrive... anyone know of a good place to get the kit to accomplish this without an ECM? Jegs has it, but i am hoping to find it cheaper and closer... I just found out i was going to need this tonight, and i am bumming its going add some more $$ to this thing - and time ... ugh
-also do you use liquid gasket or something on the bottom of the dipstick tube on the tranny? it feels loose and it seems water would get in there

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
I bought one from Summit for about $120. It was expensive, but summit is 45 minutes from my house, so it was a quick fix.

·
Registered
424 Posts
What your refering to is getting the torque converter to lock up not going into overdrive. It will go into overdrive without the kit but the tourque converter wont lockup. If this is going in a trail rig that only sees a little hwy I don't think the lockup would be that big of deal. I have read somewhere how to rig a toggle switch to get the tc to lock up.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its a daily driver... but it will see trail use, 90% is highway though, so i will want it to lock up, well eventually anyway... if i dont want to bother with that right away do i just leave the electrical connector unplugged? i will probably hook it up right away though due to ease while its out :\

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Yes, you can leave it unplugged and the converter will not lock up. It will still go into OD. You could put it on a toggle switch (not the best route, but certainly doable). If you do, use a wire that is hot in the run position, through a NC switch on the brake pedal (like the factory setup), then through the toggle, then to the proper pin on the tranny.

Are you putting EFI on the motor, and if so, what kind? If its factory, its not much more work to wire up the trans properly.

Pete

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pcorssmit said:

Are you putting EFI on the motor, and if so, what kind? If its factory, its not much more work to wire up the trans properly.

Pete
nope... this is my motor...

i am hoping it works well :D thats why i am having a hard time with the tranny...

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Is that an Edelbroc q-jet or the regular AFB style Edelbrock? I can't tell with all the chrome. :D

Pete

·
Registered
214 Posts
Looks like the regular AFB style since the fuel inlet is in the upper rear of the carb, and not on the bottom front like the Q-JET. ;)

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
PM or E-mail ORANGEFJ45 georg was very helpfull in answering my questions about 700R4 and I bought the parts from him and he had a competent builder rebuild it for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts