Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was helping a buddy put a 700r4 into his 79' K5 yesterday and we had some problems. The k5 has a 203 transfer case and he put the "4x4 output shaft" in the 700r4 and thought that it should work. Well when we went to bolt them together we couldn't quite make it fit.:rasta: duh. Obviosly the 4x4 output shaft is meant for another case. I've checked with Advance Adapters and they do have the right shaft to make this combo work. I just wanted to check with you Chevy guys to make sure i'm not missing anything. Anything else we should know?

·
Registered
95 Posts
i think 700r4s usually bolted up to 208's. th350s went with 203's.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
the 700r4's t-case adapter is much longer than a th350/203 adapter. So, because the 700 has the longer adapter, the shaft is too long. Option 1 is to swap the output shaft with an AA one that is shorter...which makes the whole set up shorter. Option 2 is to put a spacer between the th350/203 adapter and bolt it onto the 700. There is a guy on coloradok5 that sells the spacers for about $60 each. Advantage..uses factory shaft ...ease of replacement. Disadvantage...much longer than option 1.;)

·
Registered
6,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How do I contact the guy who builds the spacer? If you use the spacer will there be enough spline contact? Seems to me that the offset of the splines on the shaft might make only a portion of the splines actually work together.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The 2wd 700 and 2wd 350 have the same spline count and output diameter size but the 700 shaft is longer.
The 4wd 700 and 4wd 350 also have the same spline count and output diameter size but the 700 shaft is longer.

You can't cut the 700 shaft shorter because you will lose spline engagement. AA's shaft replaces the 700 output shaft and makes it the same stickout as a 350. Because the 700 and 350 share the same bolt pattern, output diameter, and spline count the AA shaft allows you to hook any case that was mated to a 350 to a 700.

I went from a 350 to a 700 and put a 205 behind it. I went the AA shaft route (which requires a complete teardown of the 700), and now wished I had gone the spacer route because it has caused clearance issues with the front CV and tranny pan. If I had used the spacer, I would not have had a problem, plus it would have saved me a teardown.

One note: The spacer mentioned above is used with a stock 4wd 700 output shaft....the 2wd is too long.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts