Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, I need to get the 4wd in my 75 highboy quick and cheap so I can sell it. The 2wd status seems to be a deal killer, even with a considerable discount.

I have a 203 with no part time kit, and a stretched chain, and a mis matched front D44, wrong gears for the back.

My spare parts are in storage and I haven't looked them over yet.

I have a divorced 205 from a 76 f250, is it a bolt in swap, same mounts, flanges, and D shaft lengths as divorced 203?

I have a 79 f150 supercab, 5 lug, leaf spring d44, and a 78ish 8 lug d44. Are the spring perches the same size and width? Tube dia? Can I bolt in the f150 diff and run the 78 f250 outers?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
177 Posts
205 should bolt in with little to no mods, the '78 D44 if its 8 lug should be a direct swap as long as its from a Ford. Steering will be different unless the '75 was converted from push/pull to crossover, otherwise you will need to convert to crossover.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Long story short, I need to get the 4wd in my 75 highboy quick and cheap so I can sell it. The 2wd status seems to be a deal killer, even with a considerable discount.
Long answer short….. 4wd conversions tend to end up being more expensive than a truck which started life as a 4wd because of all of the details and work involved in such a conversion (no matter how cheap you got the parts). So, basically, there is no "cheap" and "quick" way to do this. And quite honestly, you'll end up selling this at a loss.

My suggestion is keep trying to sell the truck as is. Perhaps it won't sell in your local market, in that case expand where you market it. Put it on this site's classified section….join a Ford truck site (particularly not a 4x4 related site) and use their classified sections. You need to market it to people who want a 2wd Ford. Put it up on Ebay if you must, but let someone else deal with it.

Ed

·
Registered
715 Posts
205 will require rear drive shaft modifications (lengthening most likely). But other than that it's bolt-in. The supercab will work for it's low pinion. And you can swap almost everything from knuckles outward of the 78 - 8 lug. But you got to swap everything including brakes. I think the outer shafts are the same though. Or close enough to work.

You will have clearance issues if you try to put the high pinion 78 axle in a highboy without a lot of lift. Like 6-8".

The axle perches are the same (within 1/4" anyways).

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess I should clear up, the truck is a highboy, factory 4wd, F250, just has undesirable, worn np203 tcase, and undesirable closed knuckle D44, that doesn't match the swapped in rear axle.

I knew these parts were undesirable, and collected better parts as time went on, driving the truck without a front drive shaft.

Now I just need to find the easy and cheap solution for functional 4wd, preferably using stuff I already have.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Thanks for clarifying that up…. Makes more sense what you need to do.

Let me ask, what is the overall condition of the Highboy?

Rusty? Dented? Restorable?

If the truck is restorable, or otherwise desirable, in general, don't worry about swapping out the 203 and closed knuckle Dana 44. Just get them working and let someone else modify the truck to their desires. If you have to swap parts around from another truck, you might end up having to rebuild parts at cost just to get it all working right and you might not be able to recuperate those costs in the sale price. You could always throw in the "desirable" parts to help sweeten the deal, but let someone else deal with that.

Ed

·
Registered
715 Posts
^^^ This...

Why spend ANY money when you don't have to. What is the rear out of and what gears do you have front and back? All highboys had 4.10's from factory.

While still confused to what you got????

You can probably have the rear re-geared cheaper (by acquiring used gears) than swapping the front and t-case after factoring in the shaft modifications and especially considering the time.

How about some more info to answer this???

Anybody buying a highboy should expect the chance of a 203 and closed knuckles... I never cater to buyers for it cost me more in the long run. EVERY time. But they can buy the axles and t-cases separate.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'm asking a chunk for it, I swapped in a Cummins and overdrive tranny from 2wd dodge, using factory Ford 203 in stock location. I swapped in a 3.54 d60 rear to get the rpms down, and gathered more parts.
The truck has a 79 grille, and 79 steering box, ranger xlt trim and fresh two tone paint. It's sharp, people want it, but my market seems to be old guys with money who won't buy it with work needing completed, even discounted. That's why I need to make it functional, mark it up, and move it out.

Edit: I'd love to keep it, it's my first pickup, but life has changed and I'm onto crew cab trucks and suburbans.
I have most of the parts stuck away to build another one

·
Registered
371 Posts
1- Dirtbag could tell you everything about swappin parts, but he aint here.
2- Keep it, it's not worth what you want for it.
3- ditto
4- ditto
5- What color was it originally? Some colors are rare. Emerald Green if I remember right was/is a rare color and adds $$.
6- Keep it, swap in SD axles, 205, have drive shafts made and enjoy it. You'll never make money on it that you want. Should have did some research first.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
11 Posts
You'll never make money on it that you want. Should have did some research first.:flipoff2:
Option 1: Swap in some 4:10 gears in the back again, hook up the front driveshaft, maybe rebuild 203, hook up front driveshaft and sell it.
Option 2: Spend bucks on a 3:54 geared front 60, rework steering, swap in 205, rework 2 or 3 driveshafts including a lot bigger yokes etc, then sell it.

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
Long answer short….. 4wd conversions tend to end up being more expensive than a truck which started life as a 4wd because of all of the details and work involved in such a conversion (no matter how cheap you got the parts). So, basically, there is no "cheap" and "quick" way to do this. And quite honestly, you'll end up selling this at a loss.

My suggestion is keep trying to sell the truck as is. Perhaps it won't sell in your local market, in that case expand where you market it. Put it on this site's classified section….join a Ford truck site (particularly not a 4x4 related site) and use their classified sections. You need to market it to people who want a 2wd Ford. Put it up on Ebay if you must, but let someone else deal with it.

Ed
ALL this. Offer the buyer the option of buying YOUR 4WD parts, and let HIM convert it! :grinpimp:

·
Registered
650 Posts
We have a serious lack of communication here.

When you came on, it read a lot like you were trying to convert a 2wd into 4wd so that you can sell it.

Then you came on here and tell us you have a Ford F250 with a bunch of "undesirable" parts (closed knuckle Dana 44 and worn 203)

Now you're telling us that 'this" Ford has a Cummins in it and it's a "sharp" truck??? And no one wants to buy it.

What else are you holding out on?? My question to you is, how much you expecting to make off of this?

I would still stand by my earlier responses. The more money you "invest" into it, the less you'll get back out of it. Thats just how the used truck market works. Considering that how it sounds, this is a project truck that never got finished and you're not going to be able to just "slap" the rest of it back together and expect a windfall on it. You'll need a well built, gear matching Dana 60 front, fresh 205 and a bunch of odds and ends which are usually the nickel and dime stuff that normally kills many projects. As it sounds now, if you built this truck, you've already spent a bunch of money and you can't get it back with a Cummins swap? None of this sounds right. Either expand where you market this or part it out, but let someone else finish it at their expense

Ed

·
Registered
715 Posts
True this^^^

You can ALWAYS get more to part it out. Highboys part out completely what isn't rusted beyond. Down to even the closed knuckle front. They are fine for a small wheeler like a jeep.

I parted out a highboy not too long ago and made a small fortune. A highboy bed alone can go for 2k if it is in descent shape especially if it has the side tool box. I got $1500 out of mine and only listed it for like a week.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I could have made it a little clearer, but I said it was a highboy, meaning F250 4wd, and that's the stuff that needs to get functioning, that's the stuff I needed some help on, I didn't want to derail that or turn it into a for sale thread. I'm asking 13k and will include spare parts, from the responses I get, I could ask more, and get more if the 4wd simply functioned.

I'd love to keep it, but have a family, and my fresh outta high school dream truck won't cut it anymore. I could add the crew cab I already have, the 2008 chassis I already have, the powertrain with lockup tranny and married tcase I already have, but at that point, I'm just keeping the front clip and license plate, so this needs to go, I'll build another.

·
Registered
371 Posts
[QUOTE I'm asking 13k and will include spare parts, from the responses I get, I could ask more, and get more if the 4wd simply functioned.[/QUOTE]:laughing::laughing::shaking:

·
Registered
650 Posts
I could have made it a little clearer, but I said it was a highboy, meaning F250 4wd, and that's the stuff that needs to get functioning, that's the stuff I needed some help on, I didn't want to derail that or turn it into a for sale thread. I'm asking 13k and will include spare parts, from the responses I get, I could ask more, and get more if the 4wd simply functioned.
All I was trying to do was gather enough info to offer a suggestion. Critical info like a Cummins swap and condition of the truck was left out and that will make a huge difference.

If theres a Cummins in it, you need no less than a Dana 60, and toss in the divorced 205. It's still going to cost you money to complete.

$13k huh? I wish you luck

Ed

·
Registered
463 Posts
I would just re-gear the front and fix the NP203 if you are trying to sell it with working four wheel drive. Offer them the parts you have to swap in to sweeten the deal if you need to. I imagine the typical person looking to buy a classic pickup with a 6BT doesn't know the difference between a closed knuckle Dana 44 and an open knuckle axle.

Also, the truck does not need a Dana 60 :shaking: It just needs working four wheel drive.

You can get a cheap set of gears and an install kit off eBay for about $200 shipped. I imagine you could just slap a chain into the T-case to get it working.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I would just re-gear the front and fix the NP203 if you are trying to sell it with working four wheel drive. Offer them the parts you have to swap in to sweeten the deal if you need to. I imagine the typical person looking to buy a classic pickup with a 6BT doesn't know the difference between a closed knuckle Dana 44 and an open knuckle axle.

Also, the truck does not need a Dana 60 :shaking: It just needs working four wheel drive.

You can get a cheap set of gears and an install kit off eBay for about $200 shipped. I imagine you could just slap a chain into the T-case to get it working.
Anyone that buys a 4wd, d44/d60 with a 6BT and thinks they'll be able to do anything but cruise it, is a moron. D44 can't take the weight up front, they don't hold up under the stock drivetrain, which is at least 400lbs lighter, that d60 will pop once it's got on hard with traction or towing.

This statement from the OP is what catches my eye...."...and my fresh outta high school dream truck ......" that throws up red flags, for me at least. High school kids truck, no budget to do it right, so it's half finished, trying to cobble it together just to sell it....:shaking:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts