Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 353 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, i bought this gem a few years ago, slowly doing things to it, but never really driving it, as the V8 has a knock to it.
This is what it looked like when i bought it :D nice eh? :D

I also have owned this for years now. started out as a bone stock truck, and now its a ARB locked F/R, dual cases, bla bla bla.

This truck served me well, was my DD for years, many trips to the hammers and the rubicon. finaly bought a car to be my DD (06 WRX wagon) and ended up rolling the toyota :D

well, now i have two trucks that i cant drive on the strees. and i need something to mess around with :D

So, i am going to take the FJ40 body off and put it on the 84 truck frame. using everthing from the motor and frame down. (man i hope this is a good idea)

So, started with this today.

just kept taking everthing apart.

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
working alone sort of sucks, but good thing i have a fork lift. getting the flat bed off was a easy with the right toys :D

had to just take one last pic of my stickers on the back window :D

before i poked the forks through :D

luckly this didnt happen till after i had it off the truck, the knot slipped :D

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
now, this is how the truck sits now.

and just so we know, this is how the FJ40 is sitting now

I am hoping that i will get the FJ40 over to the truck (which is at my work) over this week, and see how it looks

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea me too :D i want to use the trucks frame, but just not sure..

SHane

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Whatcha doin with the '40 frame????? I could be interested if its cheap enough....

Cool idea on the mini-cruiser.... Is your mini frame braced by the steering box where they tear out?

Chris:cool2:

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DHONDAGOD said:
Whatcha doin with the '40 frame????? I could be interested if its cheap enough....

Cool idea on the mini-cruiser.... Is your mini frame braced by the steering box where they tear out?

yep, its braced :D I really like how the truck wheels too :D
as for the FJ40 frame. its staying, and i am slowly building that one up after this one. i already have a FJ40 FF for the rear and a 4link kit for it also. i just need something to tie me over for awile.
Shane

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
PARANOID56 said:
yep, its braced :D I really like how the truck wheels too :D
as for the FJ40 frame. its staying, and i am slowly building that one up after this one. i already have a FJ40 FF for the rear and a 4link kit for it also. i just need something to tie me over for awile.
Shane
a 4link kit? sounds cool :flipoff2: cool project shane

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
You would be better off with a F toy chassis on that mini frame.

Someone already did the mini/FJ thing, it was a bit much..

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
chop the 40 at B pillar and put flatbed on behind it and make a custom vinyl snap on to create sorta a half cab. That would look good IMO.

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jason M said:
You would be better off with a F toy chassis on that mini frame.

Someone already did the mini/FJ thing, it was a bit much..
yea, i want to do that, but i want to be able to drive on the street. i miss driving my truck on the street :D
but yea, the Ftoy is always on my mind :D oh, but then i would need to buy a trailer and a truck to tow it with, the WRX just wont cut it ;D
SHane

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ha, maybe :D
and man, cutting all those brackets off the frame is a major PITA.
i got like 4 done :D lots more to do.

Shane

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
well, got the chassis all cut up, took 17" out of the center of the 84 x cab chassis
here is the first cut.

the center part all cut up.

he, never done this before :D

once cut, i pushed them together, put a bunch of clamps on it and welded it all up.

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
made up some frame plates. outside and inside.

fully welded.

now, the chassis is just right to fit under the body.

next up will be moving the engine back a few inches to match the front bib on the FJ. not sure on the rear drive line yet, as i need some weight on the chassis to see how the driveline angle will be.

FJ40 in the background to size up the chassis

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Nice splice on the frame.... :beer: :beer: :beer:

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks.
working on moving the engine back 7 or so inches to make room for the front bib. just waiting on some bushings to make some new motor mounts.

Shane

1 - 20 of 353 Posts