Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sor for sale

i think the titles fake how about ya'll thats not any 71 cruiser i've seen 81 maybe :D very cool wronge hand drive and all

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
kling-on said:
sor for sale

i think the titles fake how about ya'll thats not any 71 cruiser i've seen 81 maybe :D very cool wronge hand drive and all
Yep, seen it, wondered the same thing. Got CA plates

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Who cares what the title says? I'm a big fan of grey market vehicles, if there's a way to get around, good!

1971 is smog free in CA, nobody will ever question that truck.

And by the way, 95% of non-US Land Cruisers in the US are grey market, some shade or another! :)

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how grey is your white one :laughing:
yea i know most of the are done this way i just think its funny to "know" that the year is so far off and that the vin plate would even say fj45 and the title would say fj40 :laughing:

i wish it was parked in my drive way :(

·
Registered
319 Posts
"Grey market" refers to vehicles imported by anyone other than the manufacturer. It doesn't necessarily imply it's illegal. For instance any Unimog in the US is a grey market vehicle. It may be done completely according to the NHTSA/EPA/US Customs rules, just that the manufacturer did not sell it in this country. The law allows importation of vehicles by individuals but there are steep regulation hurdles to pass for most.

That said, are there are vehicles manufactured in this country that is not meant to be sold in the US? I'm thinking of the turbo diesel Mercedes ML400CDI, the '93+ Dodge Ramcharger, etc.

Dave

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Not surprising to see it titled as a 71', just surprising to see it widely advertised and putting the sellers ass on the line. :D

There was a story some time back about an illigal FJ75? (or something like that) in Canada that was seized and destroyed? The owner was at a complet loss... anyone remember the details?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
It was a KZJ73, I think, or LJ73, and the circumstances were a LOT more related to bad luck than anything else.

Truck was gray-marketed by a German couple into Canada who couldn't get it properly registered, so they were told they had to sell it as a parts rig. The guy they sold it too had "connections" and was able to register the vehicle rather than part it out. Two owners later, Bruce buys the Cruiser. Then he moves from one city in Canada to another, and by cruel twist of fate ends up living very close to the German couple. They recognize the truck, and bitter people that they were, ratted Bruce out. One of those things...

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
60seriesguy said:
It was a KZJ73, I think, or LJ73, and the circumstances were a LOT more related to bad luck than anything else....
As I recall, it was destroyed by the Canadian gov? he was unable to save it...correct?

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I emailed them just to see what the deal was, here is his reply, seems like a real nice guy and the story sounds legit, I say more power to em', wish someone had registered mine as a pre-67' :D

kurt,

I'm sorry that this truck is causing such a stink with every one. I have gotten alot of hate mail over it. When it was brought here it was titled as a 1971, I think it is a 1983 but i'm not 100% sure. The body tag doesn't say the year. It only has the vin # and motor specs. both vin # on the body and frame stamp match and have not been altered. Since the title on this FJ45 reads 1971 I have to sell it as a 1971. I hope this will clear up any confusion about this troopy. And the angry emails will stop. It's a realy neat truck and grabs alot of attention every where i take it. The Vin number is FJ45408279. If i get more hate mail i will pull it off the market and sell it locally. Here are some photos of it and the diesel troopy i have.
Thanks,
Marc Mullins

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
photos of it and the diesel troopy i have.

dont hold back send the pics
:D

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Why do people give him crap? Everyone *KNOWS* it's grey market, and even if he did have something to do with the importation, he's giving everyone the right answer: he doesn't know why it's registered like that.

I can't tell you how many harassing emails I've gotten in the last 6 years about the importation of my Land Cruiser...:mad:

·
Registered
319 Posts
60seriesguy said:

I can't tell you how many harassing emails I've gotten in the last 6 years about the importation of my Land Cruiser...:mad:
Tell us more, Henry. Is it mainly jealousy that trigger the e-mails? Are there threatening e-mails to "expose" you? Is it some sort of attempt to make you sell it to them?

Dave

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
troopies in oz started around 78 but rare and 1980 to 1984 are common!

id say 1981 or 1982, maybe up to 1984, disc front axle, larger, square fuel door, square bezel, tanks will be underneath, the tanks are bigger from standard, has a smaller tranny cover, the 1980 + are nice

but ouch hows the price the rest looks in good condition!

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
60seriesguy said:
Why do people give him crap? ...
I sent him a very polite email asking him a question, he was very polite and answered the question exactly like I thought he would. I have no problems with it, like I said, if he can pull it of, more power to him... ;)

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
60seriesguy said:
Why do people give him crap? Everyone *KNOWS* it's grey market, and even if he did have something to do with the importation, he's giving everyone the right answer: he doesn't know why it's registered like that.

how did you get yours in? i heard you can import one with you? is that true ? not that i'm pryin my 40 was a grey market bj with a 2f tosed in ... so hear your pain... really hard to find parts for to. toyota dealer laughed at my vin # the first time said i was liein :confused: i was 16 at the time and didn't know for years what was really wronge with it :D miss that bj 4sp LOW 1st gear...

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I wasn't saying you had, Kurt, I was talking about the morons that call/email you with accusations, veiled threats, etc...

To answer your question, Dave, I've gotten most of them. Thankfully, my Cruiser was legally imported in 1996 (although I haven't followed up with all the paperwork and need to get my ass in gear before they change the requirements), so there's nothing they can do to me, but I still get a lot of questions, from obnoxious to threatening.

For the most part, I get asked *specific* details about the importation, which I'm glad to share with people I know but NOT with strangers. I also get a lot of accusatory questions, as in "I looked into importations and it's not possible so yours is illegal"...my personal favorite was a random guy that came out of the blue and told me if I didn't sell it to him he'd "tell the authorities". My response was "come pick it up, then, and as soon as you drive away, *I'M* calling the authorities"...

There's even a TLCA member who's notorious for doing this, he's been involved in several veiled threats about gray market importations. He's never come to me about it, but I really wouldn't care because I would rather torch it front of my house that let anyone threaten me...if I can't have it, you better believe nobody else is getting it, either.

I try my best to help *anyone* who contacts me about an importation, I've helped a couple dozen people bring trucks in from 8 different countries and I am very proud of that. That said, I'm not going to suggest anything illegal, I just point you in the right direction, it's *your business* what you do, and more power to you. What I don't like is when people email me and say "I want to import a <insert exotic Land Cruiser designation here> from <insert country here> and I need to know EXACTLY how to do it. Please explain it with details"...yeah, right! If you're willing to pay a consultation fee, then great, if not, do your research like everyone else.

Back to the original thread, it's *clearly obvious* to any Cruiserhead that said troopie is a gray market (I'd say mid-shade) and that the 1971 title allows it to be registered in California without much fanfare and no emmissions testing. The absence of a NA-spec VIN tag makes this a very easy process. I don't see what the big deal, if I had the money and those troopies were LHD I'd buy one in a second and never give it another thought.

DISCLAIMER: to those Cruiserheads interested in the importation of an exotic Land Cruiser, I would be happy to assist with specific questions and I can discuss everything from 100% legal importations to "let's pray we don't get pulled over" near-black market importations. Just don't ask me for a recommendation on what to do, I am a law-abiding permanent resident who wants to be a US citizen and I don't want anything to jeopardize that.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
enuf said i did not start the tread to make anyone feel"bad" i just thought us "cruiser heads" would like to look at it ... 60seriesguy love your truck and would like to have it ...
:beer: cheers joel

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
60seriesguy said:
I wasn't saying you had, Kurt, I was talking about the morons that call/email you with accusations, veiled threats, etc......
Jealosy doesn't wear well on some folks... Your cruiser is bar-none SWEET!

I like the part about burning it before selling it to a blackmaler...so true.. :D

Soorry for the rant. :D

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Actually, I bet Henry wouldn't burn it. But I bet he could make it disappear.

As much as I love the exotic Cruisers, I'm to the point in my life where I can't see a need for it. I've wanted a diesel 80 series for years. I've come to the conclusion that although I would love to walk in and buy a factory turbo diesel 80, in the US this isn't practical. Especially in the rural US. Where the hell would I get parts? North Dakota kicks my butt, everytime I cross it something bad happens. Can you imagine having an injector go and pulling into the local Toyota dealer and saying I need two injectors for a 1HD-T? Heck, that is even if their is a dealer in that town. Toyota itself is exotic in some states. I don't want to sit in North Dakota waiting for parts from Japan or Australia. Even the guys at my semi local (78 miles away) dealer can't get some of the parts I ask about. Toyota just doesn't let them order all the non USA stuff.

So I have to build it myself. And when I do it, I'll make sure I can get parts anywhere in the US and Canada. My LC travels probably won't take me out of those two countries. Plus I can have the engine built and tweeked just how I want it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts