Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran across a truck today and wanted to know more about it. Been searching for awhile and haven't come up with any good info. Here is what I have by looking at the truck:

-Its an International :D
-It is registered as a 72 1 Ton
-Unknown dually rear with drop-out third
-V8 gas engine
-closed knuckle Dana 70 front
-looked to be a divorced NP205 t-case

Here are the questions I have:

What engine would that be?
What tranny?
What kind of rear axle is that and what are the specs?
Specs on the front 70?
Gear ratio?

Thanks guys,
Dave

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
What engine would that be? 345 or a 392
What tranny? stick 4 or 5 speed or auto?
What kind of rear axle is that and what are the specs? IH corp axle
Specs on the front 70? like what? it's a drum brake 70
Gear ratio? open the glove box and pop the two clips there should be a build sheet taped to the back of the box

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Old Scout said:
What engine would that be? 345 or a 392
What tranny? stick 4 or 5 speed or auto?
What kind of rear axle is that and what are the specs? IH corp axle
Specs on the front 70? like what? it's a drum brake 70
Gear ratio? open the glove box and pop the two clips there should be a build sheet taped to the back of the box
I am an IH moron. I really know nothing about these things. I REALLY liked this truck though so I wanted to know more about it.

-Are there any visual things that I could look for to tell me whether it was a 345 or a 392?
-The tranny was a manual, and I didn't even think to jump in to shift the gears to see how many speeds, I just kinda assumed it was a 4 speed. I'll try to go do that soon.
-IH corp axle huh? That is a cool lookin axle! What sixe ring gear we talking? Spline count? Shaft diameter?
-On the 70 I was really wondering if it uses those tracta joint dealies, and of course the axle ratio, but I will try to go and fiddle with the glove box to figure that out :D

Thanks for the reply!
Dave

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
44Runner said:

-Are there any visual things that I could look for to tell me whether it was a 345 or a 392?
The little boss on the engine that says what the CID is would tell you.

http://www.binderbulletin.org/faq for a picture of the spot, just under the right head, on the side, just above/behind the fuel pump.

-IH corp axle huh? That is a cool lookin axle! What sixe ring gear we talking? Spline count? Shaft diameter?
1.5" shafts, 11" ring gear.

4.30 was the tallest ratio available, this truck may likely have 4.88 (the next step)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts