Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I replaced my 4" springs with 6" springs... Now it turn to the left really sharp and hardly at all to the right. I have been told this is because the 5" drop pitman arm doesn't work with the 6" springs. Any other ideas on what it could be?

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
hmmm... i have several ideas.... push pull steering on a truck thats 40 years old might have worn out a few parts as well... check the frame for cracks.. start there and work to the tires.

put crossover steering on it. the push-pull shit isnt worth a damn. so, since you have to pull the box to check for cracks and then weld them up (they are there, so you might as well get started), put a 2wd box on it and make it crossover at the same time. THEN... since you are there, put a new rag joint on the column. AND install new tie rod ends. And install new ball joints.

once you figure out that all of this modification is worth it because the front of the truck doesnt jack itself up in the air when you turn the wheel, you will be happy... er.

·
Registered
506 Posts
It sounds like a draglink length issue.

Park the truck with wheels pointed straight ahead. Pop off one end of the draglink, then center the pitman arm. Once you get everything straight you will probably notice that the draglink as at least 1" shorter than it needs to be to drop back into the hole that it was removed from.

Unscrew the threaded sleeve to lengthen the draglink and make sure you still have enough threads left for safe operation.....

That's it. BTDT.

-G

1 - 3 of 3 Posts