Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is only a photoshop of it, but i have already dropped the stroke with motor and transfercase in the 72 longbed frame. and started my 4 door conversion with 2 cabs, i think i will connect extensions of what used to be the bedsides to the cab, cut off the roof and build a cage to hold the softop.
i have a ford dana 60 for the front and a 70 or 14 bolt for the rear. im going to run 56" springs up front and 63" in rear with a shackle flip and about a total of 10" lift. what do you think of the project, just an idea right now.

·
Registered
366 Posts
yeah.. i've heard nothing except bad things about the PSD.
i'd go with a 6.5 and a 4L80e. why use ford when you can keep it bowtie and have more reliability?

oh wait... i AM going with them! on my 70K10 longbed
i have a 14 bolt in the rear now and am looking for a local HP60 for the front and a 70HD for the rear. our rigs will pretty similar!

the springs and lift are very close to what i'm doing. but i'm doing 52"s up front.
how are you getting your 10"s?

where are you? we should get our two trucks together for some pics and wheelin' when we're done and give all the other 1st gen guys something to drool over!

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Have fun trying to get 56"s up front :( 52"s are hard enough on these early trucks. I forgot to mention my brother has a 67' K20, D60/Eaton,
Detroit'd,Cummins/NV4500/NP205 {doubler may be next :D },10"+ of lift,and will be running 37"'s.

I got my 8" of lift by running 4" springs and custom hangers and longer shackles but I'm upgrading to 6" Alcan springs.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my freinds with there 7.3 powerstroke,s have had real good things to say. now the new 6.0 doesnt sound as good. and as far as a 6.5, i know there very underpowered and unreliable. i would like a duramax, but i got this complete truck for less than 3,000 dollars. a cummins would be cool but the v-8 design i think will fit better, shorter block.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
1967K10 said:
Have fun trying to get 56"s up front :( 52"s are hard enough on these early trucks. I forgot to mention my brother has a 67' K20, D60/Eaton,
Detroit'd,Cummins/NV4500/NP205 {doubler may be next :D },10"+ of lift,and will be running 37"'s.

I got my 8" of lift by running 4" springs and custom hangers and longer shackles but I'm upgrading to 6" Alcan springs.
i plan on running a shorter lift spring with a drop hanger setup, so i will have the hanger hanging down and forward. since i want to run a flatter spring. i did mounts of this style on the front of my 95 suburban on a solid axle swap and got 63,s up front. wow did it ride nice even on 40,s. lets see some pics of the cummins chevy, sounds awsome.

·
Registered
366 Posts
1967K10 said:
Have fun trying to get 56"s up front :( 52"s are hard enough on these early trucks.)
this is really tru.
my 52"s are hung as far forward as possible, and that's WITH a custom drop hanger!

you're going to have to move the shackle mounts.. and there isn't really a great place to put them, cuz the cab mounts are in the way. otherwise i would have 56"s too.

1967K10, do you ever stuff a tire? did you trim?
links to pics of your and your brother's trucks!!!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
senatorfrisky said:
this is really tru.
my 52"s are hung as far forward as possible, and that's WITH a custom drop hanger!

you're going to have to move the shackle mounts.. and there isn't really a great place to put them, cuz the cab mounts are in the way. otherwise i would have 56"s too.

1967K10, do you ever stuff a tire? did you trim?
links to pics of your and your brother's trucks!!!
why not box in the frame by the cab mount and do your hanger below the axle and get a longer spring, with the same drop on front hangers. you could run a flatter spring and still have a good size lift.

·
Registered
366 Posts
yfzut said:
why not box in the frame by the cab mount and do your hanger below the axle and get a longer spring, with the same drop on front hangers. you could run a flatter spring and still have a good size lift.
sheesh!
i've already got 52" springs up front!
they are about as flat as an anorhexic schoolgirl!

what do you mean "do your hanger BELOW THE AXLE"??? i don't follow

i'll be boxing and boatsiding eventually, which would give me more room for length. my upper shackle hangers are bolt on (OffRoad Designs) so i'll be able to move 'em if i'm not happy with the flex.

check out lucasJ03's gallery on CK5 for some pics of a 52" front articulation. and i have 2" more drop in my hanger than he does.
i think i'll be happy. plus i got NEW 52" springs for 75$ a set... hard to beat

·
Registered
34 Posts
senatorfrisky said:
yeah.. i've heard nothing except bad things about the PSD.
i'd go with a 6.5 and a 4L80e. why use ford when you can keep it bowtie and have more reliability?

Wow, tell me you're kidding. A 6.5? Junk

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
I think it's a badass idea! The people who don't like the PSD idea are ignorant brand loyalists. :flipoff2:
:grinpimp:

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
American said:
I think it's a badass idea! The people who don't like the PSD idea are ignorant brand loyalists. :flipoff2:
:grinpimp:
Yes Sir, the early PSD motors (7.3) are some of the most reliable diesel motors ever in a pickup.

Though I must say, it is a HEAVY motor, but then again, what diesel isn't?

Great swap, props for doign something different!

Doug

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Pooge said:
Yes Sir, the early PSD motors (7.3) are some of the most reliable diesel motors ever in a pickup.

Though I must say, it is a HEAVY motor, but then again, what diesel isn't?

Great swap, props for doign something different!

Doug
i love my 6.2:D just wish it had some more power. i think the psd is a great idea, you can get some mad hp out of them. a dmax would be better to get power, but the psd wont be struggling thats for sure.

i wana see pics of 67k10's rigs and the drop hangers you all talk about. i know people have used something like that on newer trucks to swap in a solid axle, but havent seen it on older trucks. im planning on swappin in 56's in the front of my k5 for ~9" of lift using 4" lifted 56's, but if i could use drop hangers and then only need to use a 2" lifted spring that would be awesome. thanks guys

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
If I were to do the PSD it would be the 7.3. The 6.0 is poop. I have one and it has been a huge headache from the day I drove it off the lot. So much for getting a really good deal..........should have kept my Chevy, or bought a toyota........

·
Registered
366 Posts
i only voted down the PSD because i read about the # of recalls for them in one of the more recent copies of petersen's. guess you can't believe everything you read.

i'm no arrogant brand snob (looking for a HP60, and own 2 mazdas, which is basically ford) i just thought the 6.5 would be a heck of a lot easier swap

1 - 20 of 28 Posts