Pirate 4x4 banner

141 - 160 of 249 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #141 (Edited)
What kind of power steering pump do you have in mind for this truck? Saginaw?
Yes a Saginaw. Motor came out of a van so it came with a Saginaw pump and bracketry. The mount is way up and out so will make something to place it where I want. Need to get motor in the chassis to make location decision.
Had some luck in the past shimming pressure regulator for improved performance, so will reseal and shim the pump. Future plan is a redneck ram or equivalent.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Spartan installed in the 60

Popped it back in and checked the patterns. still need a new spindle and a set of hubs, which are supposedly in process.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Everything is looking good. This build is awesome, it's almost the exact same kind of build I want to do on my '78.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #146 (Edited)
Excellent work!
Thanks!
Cool, what game are we playing?
Everything is looking good. This build is awesome, it's almost the exact same kind of build I want to do on my '78.
Thanks. Once the pieces start coming together there will be 'opportunities for improvement'.
Sounds like it's time for you to get going on that 78!

Farting around with the axle while waiting on parts. Supposedly have a D60 spindle on the way to replace the D50 one it had. Also picked up another D60 spindle from a buddy, it's beat up enough that he bought a new pair for his build. Sometimes a bigger hammer is not the answer. I was able to work the bearing surfaces (aka turd polish) enough to get bearings on it. The outer bearing surface is suspect but I'll run it if the other spindle doesn't pan out.
So If your going to wack your spindle, don't hit the bearing lands!

Ordered brake pads and a rebuild kit for the calipers thinking I had a '95 axle, but I don't it's the '94 and earlier type. So had to return and reorder brake parts. More delays, but that's how it goes.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Got the front axle mostly complete. Rebuilt calipers. All new everything.

power stop pads

money pit assembled.

Will see how G2 hub work out, was part of the pacakge deal.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Looks great.

I've seen a few G2 hubs grenade on the trail but under pretty rough use.

I'm a big fan of the Yukons.

But then a hub as a weak link isn't necessarily a bad thing. Much rather break that than anything inward from there.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
Looks mint, keep up the nice work.
Thanks, getting to put clean stuff together is the fun part.
You take really nice photos.
Provides the illusion I know what I'm doing...
:grinpimp:
Looks great.

I've seen a few G2 hubs grenade on the trail but under pretty rough use.

I'm a big fan of the Yukons.

But then a hub as a weak link isn't necessarily a bad thing. Much rather break that than anything inward from there.
That's what I'm thinking too. Had good parts in a d44 w/37s and the hub would go first. Carried a spare set, easy to R&R. I have a backup for this 60.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #152 (Edited)
Trying direct links in this post...pita... resize...

Got motor installed (again). probably not the last time either.

Filled the torque converter up half way with fluid. This converter is a higher stall than factory (+300 rpm), guessing 1900-2100 rpm instead of 1600-1800. Intent is to get fully into power band to get this heavy pig rolling. Using dex/merc instead of type F.

Remembered to install shield first then flex plate. Nice to install all clean and painted parts.

Installed trans/TC first into chassis then motor and bolted them together. Then I took it back out to remove motor mounts and grease the bushing.
:homer:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #153 (Edited)
Installed transfer case. Made some 0.750 +/- 0.005" shims for the trans mount. It sets clearance from front yolk to cross member. I think a 1350 double cardan joint should just fit at full droop, to maximize cab to case clearance. May need a small body lift to clear trans and TC, we shall see...

Plan on using a stick style twin shifter in typical position to go with old school theme.

Good to finally have this stuff off the shop floor.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
Justified a wheel purchase for the 72, went old-school with slot mags. 17x10 for 40x13.50-17 Toyo MT. Would have done a 9" wide but not available, only this one size in 8 lug.

Finished up the link bars. had a pair of bushing that were longer than the rest and wouldn't allow grease flow so cut them down on lathe. Should also help them deflect some more to help articulation.

tapped for zerk and installed bushings and rod end with anti-seize

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
Positioned axle under chassis and installed link bars and coilovers, so I could snap a few pics and acknowledge the milestone. Broke down the engine & axle stands and put them in deep storage.

Beer thirty

Next step is to get tires mounted and get started on rear suspension.

should claw at the ground pretty good with skinny pedal down.

·
nice roach.
5,742 Posts
Looks awesome!! Diggin the old school slots in a modern diameter. :smokin:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
Looks better than my 4wd conversion. I dig the build man mix of old and new school!
Thanks. I guess I'm somewhat stuck in the 80s but spoiled on modern capabilities. Like steaming music, but still listening to AC/DC.
:smokin:

Looks awesome!! Diggin the old school slots in a modern diameter. :smokin:
Thanks. GLad that something new was available. Turbines was 1st choice but not being manufactured, and old stuff only in 16.5. Looking forward to getting doughnuts installed on them.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
Had a long talk with myself about project next steps, involving a few beers instead of getting any real work done. I believe I have decided to leave the front half, half done and get started on the rear. I had a few options:
- throw together a makeshift fuel system, buy rest of engine parts and start motor
- finish out steering and front brakes lines, install cab
- Leave the worn out stock leaves in and half-ass the rear suspension enough to get it rolling/drivable

Big tires are cool so I think I need to get it sitting on the 40s even though it should make things more difficult. The bed really needs to come off to clean frame and redo the spring hangers, but it's full of crap. So need to clean it out and find a home for all the stuff including the bed itself. I plan to make a wooden frame/trailer chassis to make the bed portable, using the old rear D60, leaves & wheels. Then get new springs and axle installed so it can roll on the big rubber.

Plan to use some chebby 63s, move stock hangers forward (if they are correct width), custom fab some rear hangers for shackle flip, and run a block as needed. I think I need 8" over the 2wd setup it has now.

Once rolling move on to the fuel system including a high capacity tank. Looking at blazer/burb tanks in 31 gallon at 28"x28"x12". For EFI one tank is preferred, but pump doesn't have to be in the tank. Will have to fab all mounting brackets, fill/vent hoses, a ford gauge compatible sending unit and a few other things. This should keep me busy for the foreseeable future.

141 - 160 of 249 Posts