Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Unfortunately, the chevy front axle is a passenger side drop, leaving you with really 3 options.

1) Swap the entire drivetrain of the chev into the nissan chassis, which is probably what I would do and make for a smaller and more capable trail rig; however that's a lengthy build.

2) swap the 720 body on the rusty chev frame, probably will have a lot of issues because of the width of the chevy frame vs the small cab of the 720.

3) Find a driver side drop Ford or FSJ dana 44, swap the chev knuckles/brakes onto it, and stuff that running gear into the 720. This way you can use the Nissan motor/trans/transfer case with the ford front and chev rear axle, saving a lot of work and time on your build.

·
Registered
78 Posts
What the last poster forgets is that 720s use a different Tcase than D21s and D22s with a CENTERED front output, so an axle with either a passenger or driver drop is going to be offset to one side, and you'll have some wonky driveline angles

X2 with the full drivetrain swap, but no idea how well the 720 body fits on a squarebody frame.....that, and squarebody frames leave much to be desired.
I didn't know that D-rat, I guess I just assumed it was the same side drop. That just makes it easier to decide on choice number 1 :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts