Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I broke my junk..AGAIN..
I was playing on some hills and heard a loud bang in my rear end. I got it out to a parking lot, but it would only go foward in 1st gear and reverse. It wouldn't go foward when in 2nd, or drive.
When I got it home (trailer), I took off the rear diff cover and saw that the welded spider gears had some missing welds and broken teeth.
I figured that that was my problem. Too much bind in the rear to allow it to shift..
Well not now, I installed a spool and tried to drive it, and same problem. Fluid is ok and the kickdown is still adjusted properly. I even put it in drive and went to the front and added pressure to the kickdown cable, but still no go.I do hear a whine when in drive and it wants to pull, but no pull. Even with throttle it isn't pulling.
here is what it is...401/727/d300.
Anyone??
Also, what to do/upgrade to keep this from happening again?
Thanks, Ricky...seeya...

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Any way to tell if it is something I can fix externally?
Thanks, Ricky...seeya...

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Sounds to me that you broke the low-reverse sprag- a common problem with torque flights. If you had the selector in drive, then this is probably the cause. Quick way to check is to shift all the way into low. If you feel it go into gear, then the sprag is broken. Manual low engages the low-reverse band in the torque flight and will crutch the broken sprag. I did this exact same thing TWICE when I used to run a 401/727 combo. I would suggest a hemi-style sprag, and when you wheel, make you to engage manual low to prevent sprag breakage. Any tranny shop should be able to do this.

TF sprags are a little on the weak side. Then tend to strip out the splines in the case when shock-loaded (ie bouncing, wheel hop, ect) There is a company that produces a sprag that is reinforced by bolts that attach it to the case, rather than just depending on the aluminum splines.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That may be the problem. Thanks... I will check into this Monday.. It just sucks now, 'cause I gotta pull it out. I can't remember, but I thought I was in low gear..
Did you ever do the HD sprag deal? Or, Know anyone who did.

Ricky...seeya...

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
RickyR said:
.................... I even put it in drive and went to the front and added pressure to the kickdown cable................
it sounds to me like your trying to get run over. what if it had kicked into gear? :flipoff2:

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I just did a google search and came up with Coan racing that sells a bolt in style HD sprag for the TF tranny.

If you had the tranny in low, then maybe it's something else... or maybe it brkoe the sprag and the low-reverse band. 401s make a shitload of torque, so it could happen.

I remember when I broke mine, I was able to start off in low, and then once I was going about 15 mph, I could manual shift into second and it would shift, but it slipped a whole bunch. 3rd worked too, but only by manually shifting it.

If I tried to start off in Drive, it would just sit and the motor would rev up and make a funny whirring noise, but no go.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rock-rod said:
I just did a google search and came up with Coan racing that sells a bolt in style HD sprag for the TF tranny.

If you had the tranny in low, then maybe it's something else... or maybe it brkoe the sprag and the low-reverse band. 401s make a shitload of torque, so it could happen.

I remember when I broke mine, I was able to start off in low, and then once I was going about 15 mph, I could manual shift into second and it would shift, but it slipped a whole bunch. 3rd worked too, but only by manually shifting it.

If I tried to start off in Drive, it would just sit and the motor would rev up and make a funny whirring noise, but no go.
I will try to shift it at speed to see if this is the same issue, but it sounds like my problem.
Thanks for the quick help...

it sounds to me like your trying to get run over. what if it had kicked into gear?
It would have been easier if I got run over, then I wouldn't have to take the fawkin' tranny out.. :mad:

Thanks, Ricky...seeya...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts