Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am abandoning a 727 rebuild project, I have a new (remanufactured I assume) torque converter and the heavy-duty rebuild kit from JC Whitney.
The tranny subassemblies are all removed, but none of the asseblies has
been taken apart yet. I just want to get rid of it but hate to throw it out,
it would be good to have one person take all the stuff but I can separate if
I have to.

Asking only $100 for all, I paid like $300 just for the tranny. It looks to be
in real good shape, I probably should not have tried to rebuild it and just
used it as is but I was feeling ambitious. Now I am moving across country
and won't have time to finish it. It is for a 1980's 4x4 Dodge Ram, should fit several vehicles. Small block mounting pattern, I was goind to mate it to a
318 on a 87 Ramcharger.

In San Francisco Bay Area, San Jose area.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Do you have the brand & part number for the rebuild kit from Summit? Did you also get the converter from them? If so, brand, PN, stall? I'd be interested in everything assuming I can use the converter and rebuild kit, but I'm on the east coast and can't really pay to have the 727 shipped that far. Let me know.
Mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was JC Whitney, not Summit, I'll fix my post. The rebuild kit is catalog no.
126969 Heavy Duty Trans Rebuild kit, the kit itself was $153.

I got the torque converter locally, I don't remember the stall speed, I want to say 2200,
does that sound too high?
I can call around and see what was available for that truck, we should be able to narrow
it down pretty well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The kit contains a TransGo shift reprogramming kit, the main box says all clutches were
made in the US. The main box says Alto Products Corp.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll have to check shipping costs, that converter is pretty heavy.
Also I'm not sure yet of the stall speed, I may be remembering wrong.
If that doesn't matter to you, I will check the shipping costs.

·
Registered
622 Posts
It was JC Whitney, not Summit, I'll fix my post. The rebuild kit is catalog no.
126969 Heavy Duty Trans Rebuild kit, the kit itself was $153.

I got the torque converter locally, I don't remember the stall speed, I want to say 2200,
does that sound too high?
I can call around and see what was available for that truck, we should be able to narrow
it down pretty well.
I guess you already have a deal set up. I checked on JC Whitney for that PN (12 69 69) and separately under a 1980 Dodge Ram, and they show the TH350/400 kits. They also have that silly price range setup too, so maybe the 727 is included somehow in there. Maybe I'm not reading it correctly, but your kit is definately for a 727, right?

As for the converter, it's definately possible that's the stall rating of it, but it's too much for my needs.
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it's definitely 727 kit, the instructions and there is a sheet from JC also all say
727, the JC sheet says it will work with the "big" or "small" 727.

I most likely got close to stock stall rating on the converter, the parts guy I called wasn't
too keen to look it up. I need to go down there and get him to show me the choices. I
think that sounds too high now that I think about it. There are some numbers on it but
I can't find what they mean: 506 is both stamped and stenciled on it, M18 is written,
and 200804 is also stamped. Anyone know what stock stall on a '87 Ramcharger 318?

·
Registered
622 Posts
I called JC Whitney this morning to ask why GM 350/400/700R4 kits come up for an '80 Dodge on their website. The sales rep. said their website lists the "closest available" kits. I had him look up 126969, and he said the kit was discontinued. I asked him if they offer ANY 727 rebuild kit, and he stated they have been discontinued which I find hard to believe or ridiculous.

Anyway, I'm just trying to find out what is in the kit. I assume it has all the seals and gaskets, filter, clutches and steels. Do you know how many clutches are in the pack? Does it contain the forward band? Do you know if there is a drain plug kit?

As far as the converter, I'll have to pass. I don't know if the numbers on it will tell you anything. They may just ID the actual stamping of the converter housing, its original application (vehicle), etc. The shipping to me in eastern PA would probably be too expensive anyway.

Let me know what parts the kit contains and how much shipping would be to 19355.
Mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought it in November of '04. There are no bands or drain plug, I see 3 thin and 4 thick
steel rings, looks like there are 4 of each (thin and thick, 2 total packs) thichness clutch.
I didn't want to open the clutch packaging, if there should be more clutches I can tear
open a corner to verify. I took pics of the kit, I can scan the invoice and sheets, but
I can't post attachments yet. I can email if you PM me your address

Fedex ground should estimated under $20 to that area code. I have the bands from the
tranny I started this for, it you want them let me know, probably no use, they are used.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts