Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so i'm a sucker for the 73-87 gm truck. i currently own a beat to death 87 half ton. i owned an 85 cucv but regretfully had to sell it. i was thinking about putting a d60/14b under my half ton that way i'd have over drive. just wondering if it would be worth it.

also just thinking of buying another cucv, anyone know where i could find a cheap one and fix it up? i would generally use the truck for light wheeling, towing, hauling coal, and firewood etc. any suggestions, i live in PA, thanks

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Depends on how much weight you're hauling

The 1/2 ton frames are not as thick/strong as the CUCV or a 1 ton would have. If you're talking about filling the bed with coal to the top I'd think about the 1 ton frame

However the CUCV will have the 6.2 which is not really a HD towing engine.

A CUCV with a big block swapped in would be awesome for towing and hauling and have the coolness factor of the brushguard, tow shackles and flat paint

The reason you're getting flamed by everybody is this is really a newbie4x4 question:flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
The 700r4 in your truck is good for street driving but not too good for wheeling. If you keep it light and put a cooler on it, you could have some fun. If you put onetons under it, the next weakest link will be your tranny. And also remember, don't tow/haul in overdrive.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I will get a D60 then.

The answers in this thread are not to your question. D60 or D70 have nothing to do with overdrive. Overdrive is in your tranny. The first poster has an 87 half ton. Those come with a half ton overdrive 700r4. We know nothing about your rig. Start another thread about your rig and get your questions answered.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
The 700r4 in your truck is good for street driving but not too good for wheeling. If you keep it light and put a cooler on it, you could have some fun. If you put onetons under it, the next weakest link will be your tranny. And also remember, don't tow/haul in overdrive.

A 700 will do just fine. Finally toasted my first one in 8 years. And it was severely abused quite often. Had one tons and 44" TSL's, not enough gearing, but plenty of right footed stupidity.

Building a new rig, so the Blaze is headed back to 1/2 tons and 35's since I miss daily driving it.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
The answers in this thread are not to your question. D60 or D70 have nothing to do with overdrive. Overdrive is in your tranny. The first poster has an 87 half ton. Those come with a half ton overdrive 700r4. We know nothing about your rig. Start another thread about your rig and get your questions answered.
NO SHIT IT WAS A JOKE:flipoff2:

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
So let me get this right:

A Dana 60 gives you less overdrive than a Dana 70?

So would Rockwells (bigger being better) give me even more overdrive?

How about a jet engine? What kind of OD ratio could I expect?:confused:

15,440 Posts
So let me get this right:

A Dana 60 gives you less overdrive than a Dana 70?

So would Rockwells (bigger being better) give me even more overdrive?

How about a jet engine? What kind of OD ratio could I expect?:confused:
Depends on if you are putting them in a 87 that already has a OD tranny. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok, i'm not an idiot, i know having a d60/14bolt won't give you over drive. what i meant to say was do you think it would be worth putting a d60/14bolt under a half ton. you would have the benefit of having OD, i've heard the 700r4 can be built up pretty strong.

this truck probably won't see alot of trails, just alot of hauling and what not but i know the 10 bolt in the rear won't last. i even thought about trying to find a 14 bolt 6 lug version out of a newer model chevy (mid 90's?)

i'll probably just end up saving the 1/2 ton for parts and look for either a 3/4 or 1 ton. i guess average people that actually use their vehicles for a purpose other than recreational wheeling don't have a place in this forum. :flipoff2:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts