Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am going to look at a set of axles out of a '73 W200 tomorrow morning. I have a question about the Dana 44 that I haven't seemed to find a good answer for. I believe this axle should have drum brakes correct? That isn't a big deal, but my main question is whether the axle will be an open or closed knuckle axle. Can anyone tell me what I should be expecting when I get there?

Thanks!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Open knuckle if its the original 44. If it is an earlier axle like 1971 or even a super early production 1972 (longshot) chances are it will be a closed knuckle. I'm pretty sure 1971 was the last year for the closed knuckle.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the answer. I searched and was pretty sure of what I would find, but I couldn't find anything saying what year Dodge switched over to open knuckles. The old TOTW drivetrain thread only went back to '74 too.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thats on a dodge, ford used the closed knuckle until 1974 If I remember right. Glad to help if it did.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I picked them up yesterday and it was as I expected and everyone said. Open knuckle with drum brakes.

I ripped off the drums already since I have a set of GM discs that I am putting on. I was just wondering if the original drum brake spindle and stub shaft would be worth keeping or not? Would they work with any available disc brake hub or would I be better off throwing them in the scrap bin?

Thanks guys for the advice!

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I assume you mean that the drum brake stub shaft is usable with the GM outers? I know the drum brake shaft is slightly shorter than the GM one, but not sure by how much.

·
Registered
464 Posts
ya, im not sure of the exact dimentions either, but i have mixed an matched alot of parts before. i found the shaft length info once, but lost it in a computer crash.

·
Registered
624 Posts
mondtster said:
I assume you mean that the drum brake stub shaft is usable with the GM outers? I know the drum brake shaft is slightly shorter than the GM one, but not sure by how much.
About an inch shorter...they will not work.

steved

1 - 10 of 10 Posts