401 - 420 of 441 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #401 · (Edited)

·
Embrace the Suck
2,094 Posts
has the fame gone to your head yet? LOL! Looks like a good time, hoping to make it someday soon

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #404 · (Edited)
...true....but I never said it wasn't good at what it does :flipoff2:

One of my original goals for the build was to build a truck on rockwells that could comfortably drive at 60 mph on the highway, and I can honestly say I reached that goal, and I am very happy about that. So for now I'm enjoying the benefits of giant tires, and Moab sure is a good place for vehicles with giant tires.

You guys would like FSI - good guys and big trucks with like-minded drivers

·
Registered
311 Posts
That is awesome. I've followed the build and really like the truck. Topless and all.

I also would like to go to FSI at Moab.

I'm impressed that you backed out of the hot tub. A lot of others ego's would have got the best of them. I hate to admit it but even with best buds in the truck I would have prolly launched it. Even your big ass truck fits in the hot tub. . That thing must be insane in person.

Good job on the truck and getting out and enjoying it. And sharing.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #406 · (Edited)
That is awesome. I've followed the build and really like the truck. Topless and all.

I also would like to go to FSI at Moab.

I'm impressed that you backed out of the hot tub. A lot of others ego's would have got the best of them. I hate to admit it but even with best buds in the truck I would have prolly launched it. Even your big ass truck fits in the hot tub. . That thing must be insane in person.

Good job on the truck and getting out and enjoying it. And sharing.
thanks - yah it really is a giant machine. I'm just happy it didn't wedge itself between the front and back ends - my approach/departure angles must be pretty good (I've never measured them). Anyway we're planing to head back to Moab in May (local club's annual gig there), and if we do Hells Revenge I might take another stab at that hot tub...

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #407 · (Edited)

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #408 · (Edited)
...just found this decent flex shot taken bat FSI by one of the Four Wheeler gang -

Meanwhile we just got back from another week-long Moab trip - had a great time. The first trail day included The Pickle and 7-Mile, which were mostly uneventful. On day 2 we hit Metal Masher, and unfortunately early on the trail I managed to bend the hell out of my left rear leaf spring (just the top leaf). I was attempting the first big obstacle, and as the rear axle was digging in the left rear shackle hyper-extended forward, and when the truck came back down the leaf was 'wedged' in place...and the front section of the top leaf bent almost to a 90* angle. We were surprised it didn't snap. Here's what it looked like right after it happened -

http://ramchargercentral.com/mopar-...d-some-shoes-)/?action=dlattach;attach=412242

So...not wanting to snap that top leaf we decided to end our run and limped it back to town. We later found a local JY and sure enough it had an 80's Chevy with 63" rear leafs, so we grabbed those and rebuilt the damaged leaf pack. Unfortunately we didn't get it done in time to hit Strike Ravine, but we were done in time to hit Top of the World.

Had a good time.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #409 · (Edited)
recently did a 100 mile round trip trail ride - all under its own power - no trailer, and the rig did great. It has remarkable street manners. We're taking it out again this Sat for another gig supporting a local boys home (our club provides rides to some local disadvantaged kids). The truck gets great fuel economy on the trail, but man it sure sucks down the fuel on the highway :p .

Also found another decent vid from the last Moab run - this is from "The Pickle" - yes Bud actually fit his big arse through it (at 2:55), then the vid from when I tried to climb up a big wall on Metal Masher...which was promptly terminated when I elbow'd the left rear leaf...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJcwd4QedWE

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #412 · (Edited)
....about one year ago...

alright - made a command decision today - decided to leave the rig 'as-is' for at least one more season, and then decide from there if we want to downsize the chassis. I haven't even turned on the overdrive or lockup - I've no real idea just how well the truck would do at higher speeds...and I feel I need to give myself the opportunity to actually 'know' how well it does, and then when I have more info I'll determine if I need to change things.

So, going to fine tune the overall driveability of the truck, and enjoy it for another monster-sized season of shenanigans!

- Sam
ah-right. So 'one more season' has come and gone, and my wife and I are standing by our decision to keep the truck as-is. This past season we've been able to really get the chassis dialed in and with the highway manners being as good as they are there really is no good reason to downsize the truck, so we'll continue to enjoy it as-is.

There are only a small number of things I'd like to upgrade, the most important of which being the steering - it needs full hydro. The drag link (crossover link) has made a nice dent in the oil pan - apparently the compression travel on the right side has been more than the bump stops can handle, and I know that the drag link hitting the oil pan is 1) crazy hard on the steering components and 2) less than awesome to the oil pan.

The solution is full hydro, and I'm sure I'll be okay with the drivability after the change especially with about 7* of positive caster - can't be much more of a handful than it is already, I just don't know yet when I'll do it. The steering is 'good', but not great. The system needs more 'power', and I know removing the gearbox from the equation will accomplish that, and the front end needs more suspension clearance, and removing the drag link will take care of that, and thanks to 680Oscar I've got a plan for the whole upgrade.

The brakes are still really great - no need to change anything there, tho I think the D80 dually emergency brakes are not capable of doing the job nor are the cables able to match the huge flex the rear end has, not to mention the rockwell rear hub seals aren't exactly 'spectacular' (I've already replaced the e-brake shoes once), so This winter I'll 'delete' all of the D80 e-brake hardware and replace the seals, and then eventually I'll probably install a mechanical driveline e-brake to the 205 output, but that's not critical.

The suspension seems to be doing real good, and after two seasons I haven't yet wrapped the leafs into oblivion (and they're warrantied in case I do), so the leafs will remain as is.

Engine and transmission are good, tho I think I need another trans cooler - simple upgrade.

Doubler seems good, tho it is leaking so maybe address that. Driveshafts are perfect - no changes there. Love the soft top, but will likely work on finishing the hard top and maybe fab up some soft doors.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the truck, and now that I finally have a decent tow vehicle I can now haul my own shit around with my own shit.

Hoping to be back out to Moab for Fullsize Invasion 17 (a.k.a. Easter Jeep Safari), in case anyone wants to come join us - it's pretty fawking fun :grinpimp:

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #413 ·
...recently discovered this pic from Jerrod Jones from Fullsize Invasion last March

·
6x6x6 ROCKCRAWLER!!
1,311 Posts
....about one year ago...
So 'one more season' has come and gone, and my wife and I are standing by our decision to keep the truck as-is. This past season we've been able to really get the chassis dialed in and with the highway manners being as good as they are there really is no good reason to downsize the truck, so we'll continue to enjoy it as-is.

There are only a small number of things I'd like to upgrade, the most important of which being the steering - it needs full hydro. The drag link (crossover link) has made a nice dent in the oil pan - apparently the compression travel on the right side has been more than the bump stops can handle, and I know that the drag link hitting the oil pan is 1) crazy hard on the steering components and 2) less than awesome to the oil pan.

The solution is full hydro, and I'm sure I'll be okay with the drivability after the change especially with about 7* of positive caster - can't be much more of a handful than it is already, I just don't know yet when I'll do it. The steering is 'good', but not great. The system needs more 'power', and I know removing the gearbox from the equation will accomplish that, and the front end needs more suspension clearance, and removing the drag link will take care of that, and thanks to 680Oscar I've got a plan for the whole upgrade.

The brakes are still really great - no need to change anything there, tho I think the D80 dually emergency brakes are not capable of doing the job nor are the cables able to match the huge flex the rear end has, not to mention the rockwell rear hub seals aren't exactly 'spectacular' (I've already replaced the e-brake shoes once), so This winter I'll 'delete' all of the D80 e-brake hardware and replace the seals, and then eventually I'll probably install a mechanical driveline e-brake to the 205 output, but that's not critical.

The suspension seems to be doing real good, and after two seasons I haven't yet wrapped the leafs into oblivion (and they're warrantied in case I do), so the leafs will remain as is.
Engine and transmission are good, tho I think I need another trans cooler - simple upgrade.
Doubler seems good, tho it is leaking so maybe address that. Driveshafts are perfect - no changes there. Love the soft top, but will likely work on finishing the hard top and maybe fab up some soft doors.
Overall I'm pretty happy with the truck, and now that I finally have a decent tow vehicle I can now haul my own shit around with my own shit.
Hoping to be back out to Moab for Fullsize Invasion 17 (a.k.a. Easter Jeep Safari), in case anyone wants to come join us - it's pretty fawking fun :grinpimp:
I have to say that your truck keeps impressing me more and more each time I read more about your build! I was a bit sceptical about how well it would work when you first built it..... But that's long gone now that. I see how well it performs! I thought it would be seriously top heavy because of the relatively tall ride height, combined with the weight of the powertrain, not to mention all of the additional steel you added to it for making sure it would be built strong the first time!!
I have to agree with you about the swap to full hydraulic steering, and how it should be just fine with the way your truck is set-up no matter if it's on or off-road! I think the truck's weight will actually help it out on-road and might give it some return-to-center feel.
On the topic of your powertrain choice, are you happy you went with the Cummins, or if you'd do it over again would use a gas engine? Also, how do you like the overall crawl ratio with what you're running? I'm sure the diesel helps out with the torque from idle on up, allowing the power to be applied to the rocks. But, do you get sufficient grip out of the Claws? I'm leaning more toward the Interco 17"/47"x20" LTBs for the MEGA-REX 6x6x6 I'm working on. I think the slightly more narrow tread will get the power to the ground best for me in all types of environments except for snow/ice & dry sand... But then again, I'm not expediting to use the truck in much dry sand, and a 47" tall tire should allow me to plow through a solid 3' of snow without difficulty! The only really deep snow I'll be planning to go out in will only be for search & rescue, and recovery trips!
I'm definitely looking forward to seeing where you go with the truck in the future!! Keep up the great work, and I definitely hope to get the chance to wheel with you sometime!!
-MK

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #416 · (Edited)
thanks for the props MK - overall I'm still very happy with it and how it turned out. I can honestly say it performs better than I thought it would, despite its weight and size.

I LOVE the engine...except for the noise. This non-intercooled old-school Cummins is dirt simple and reliable, and when crawling I can bring the engine up just off idle, 'lean' into the converter, and 'slow-spin' the tires hunting for some traction - it's perfect. The gearing also seems to be perfect - just the right amount of wheel speed in the slowest of conditions.
Lots of folks preach that a 'Cummins is too heavy to wheel', and to that I say 'try it'. I'm not saying a 6BT is the ideal engine for all off road machines - of course not, but in a full-size truck I'd say there are worse options. But I will be taking steps to make the truck quieter, to include a big muffler and a lot of insulation on the hood, firewall, inner fenders, and engine itself. We've needed (wanted really) to put in ear plugs just because of the engine bass drone and the noise it makes overall. If it were a common rail it's be a different story, but it aint, and no I'm not going 'there' ;) .

What would I do differently? I'd start with a smaller truck to begin with - likely a 4-door Dakota or Jeep. I really like having some 'wheel base', but I'd be happier if the truck were about 1 foot narrower overall. I could do that with danas vs the rockwells, and I still might. But you didn't ask that; if I were to grenade the Cummins in there now I would very seriously consider a virgin 440 from a 1979 Motorcoach I have sitting in my shop right now- put EFI on it and do very little else. I would likely have similar crawling capability, plus it'd be quieter and it'd have double the rpm potential as the Cummins. A V-10 would also be a good option (as you well know ;) ), but if I had one of each to choose from I'd do a 440 first. In the meantime I'll be making monster strides to get the 'engine noise' down.

Tires: I love these Baja Claws. I looked at Swampers, Pit Bulls, military Michelins, and these Claws (there weren't a lot of options). All of them (except for the Michelins) would be decently good off road, but my main criteria was 'road manners'. I scanned the threads and youtube and contacted people who had the Claws and asked how they liked the tires on the street, and all of them replied back saying they were very good considering they're a bias tire', so I chose the Claws and I'm perfectly happy with them. As heavy as this truck is and as tight as some of the places I've wedged them into I'm frankly surprised the sidewalls haven't simply shredded apart. Couple times I've seen the sidewall literally slide up past the wheel lip, especially going across Golden Crack. Plus - the main reason I chose them was because of their reputation for being a 'round' tire - meaning good on the street, and I can definitely say that if I were to need another set of tires I'd go buy another identical set of these Claws. For this truck and my wheeling style, which primarily includes rocks, street/highway, snow, and sand, these tires are perfect.

- Sam

PS - some things have come up and we're not sure we're going to make it to FSI this year :(

·
Registered
669 Posts
I LOVE the engine...except for the noise……
……But I will be taking steps to make the truck quieter, to include a big muffler and a lot of insulation on the hood, firewall, inner fenders, and engine itself. We've needed (wanted really) to put in ear plugs just because of the engine bass drone and the noise it makes overall. If it were a common rail it's be a different story, but it aint, and no I'm not going 'there' ;) .
Are you running open exhaust? If you are, yeah it's going to make a drone. It would be even worse, when you consider that the exhaust ends in a stack behind a roofless and doorless cab. I drove a day cab for work for several months that ran an open stack, and I had to run it with the windows rolled up to give my ears a break and it did make a difference. A muffler / stack was eventually installed and thats all it needed to make it quiet and get rid of the constant roar. I would probably suggest a muffler stack first before adding in sound deadener or insulation. If you find that insulation would help, do it after

Lots of folks preach that a 'Cummins is too heavy to wheel', and to that I say 'try it'.
It's funny that the Cummins gets called for it's weight when plenty of people ogle over a big block in a Samuri or CJ. The weight is easily offset by torque that would make a big block jealous

What would I do differently? I'd start with a smaller truck to begin with - likely a 4-door Dakota……
No, I won't trade :D

Ed

·
Registered
7 Posts
well...the wife and I decided to go ahead and let her Jeep and the truck go to new homes, and instead get something we can both enjoy/drive together, something smaller than the truck but as nice as the Jeep.

So, $25k for the big boy - final answer.

Oh, and for those that don't understand the 'new' userid - for whatever freaking reason the website folks got my userid and this one (from whomever owns it that's never posted) screwed up thirteen ways to Sunday....so now this website thinks I am MAD MAX...not 'mad max'...and despite about a dozen requests to unjack this shit I've just decided to get this post in and at leasttry to socialize that the truck is for sale, and I'll just try to respectively handle the aftermath later. What a cluster...

- Sam (first post - woo hoo!!) fawk..... :shaking:

401 - 420 of 441 Posts