Pirate 4x4 banner
421 - 440 of 441 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #422 · (Edited)
got a call two weeks ago from a fellow Pirate member, and by the end of the day we had a deposit on the big beastie - looks like it'll be heading down south

But in the spirit of selling a 'complete' vehicle we decided to go ahead and 'finish' the roof and get the brackets welded onto it etc to make it fully 'bolt-on', and got the doors on, too. Also, the doors still had the 'Nacho' colors on them so we went ahead and re-primered the doors and got some AF blue on 'em, and it actually looks pretty dern'd decent!

Should be headin' south in a couple weeks...

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #424 ·
so the second 'cash offer' fell through - truck is again available

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #426 ·
see - you could be putting that $ into the asking price - win-win :flipoff2:

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
Dammit, I am going to go broke buying lottery tickets! :D
NO shiite!

I'd love to wheel it around here, but with that long wheelbase, I'm afraid the only place it would get wheeled is... the local Independence Day parade! :laughing:

Hope you get your pound price for her.

·
Registered
17,081 Posts
see - you could be putting that $ into the asking price - win-win :flipoff2:
Lol, I have a better chance of winning the lottery than I do of saving up that much money before someone snatches your rig up.

NO shiite!

I'd love to wheel it around here, but with that long wheelbase, I'm afraid the only place it would get wheeled is... the local Independence Day parade! :laughing:

Hope you get your pound price for her.
With the trees here it wouldn't fit on any of the trails but I would find a use for it somehow. I'd have to put at least a 6 speed manual in it though, lol.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #430 ·
go guys GO!

........and tell all your friends... :grinpimp:

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #432 · (Edited)
....I actually a bit surprised one of your fellow Canucks up there hasn't grabbed it yet... :) Neil did say he was thinking of getting a nicer body for his....hmmmmm

·
Canuckastani
1,692 Posts
....I actually a bit surprised one of your fellow Canucks up there hasn't grabbed it yet... :) Neil did say he was thinking of getting a nicer body for his....hmmmmm
Haha Well Neil's old truck is getting some love, I'm currently redoing the 4 link front and rear, boxing the frame and some new cage work. The old beat to hell sheet metal is sticking around haha.

Give Neil a call and harass him abit, he might give in lol. Would love to see bud up here, looks damn good with the doors and roof on.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #435 ·
well we've had a hella-lotta fun with the big beastie but a good deal has been made and the truck is sold. It's going to some cool folks in Wyoming, and I believe it will eventually end up in Florida. We've had a real good and really fun run with the rig but it's time to close this chapter and open the next one. And thanks to RXT, he's done some fun photo-shopage with the pics of our newest wheeling machine, and I've made a couple personal touches, and come up with the next evolution of our family trail machine - the lift may be a little tall but it's pretty close to what we're thinking. What's most surprising is the Dakota is almost exactly the same overall length as the Power Wagon

...and a few more comparisons with the Dak simulated on 40s -

·
Premium Member
2,324 Posts
Sucks to see the power wagon go but I understand where your coming from
Excited to see the Dakota build, I always wanted one on my list of vehicles to own. Peterson 4 wheel did a nice build on one.

Good luck , Alex

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #437 · (Edited)
Bud's last ride -

On Friday we hauled the Beastie up to Cheyenne to hand him off to his new owners, and word on the street is we may be seeing them on some of our trail runs this year :grinpimp: .

I wanted to again say a big "thank you!" to every one who has again helped me in the planning, design, and buildup for the truck, most especially Ben White, Steve Baker, Neil Harrison, Homer Smith, and my wife Tracy (you guys think I talk a lot in here....) - you guys have been instrumental in some of the most critical component design and physical man-handling of the hardware to get the rig running and rolling, and it's the real unselfish offering of information from the people on this and other similar forums that enables us each to be better than we really are, and fuels our passion and respective abilities to bring our 'mad' ideas to life.

We have truly had a blast wheeling the truck, and I've learned a lot within the fabrication world, which I hope to take to the next level by doing 'Max-Level' work like this in a side venture I've started called 'Falcon Fabrication' - just word-of-mouth work - nothing formal (I'm keeping my regular j.o.b....for now). I'm not yet intending to do professional fabrication full-time, but I am taking on jobs like these to keep me busy and bring in some mad money for some of our future projects. I already have about 6 months worth of work booked and I'm very grateful for those opportunities, and I'm looking forward to many more years of fun in the shop and helping others achieve their 'mad' dreams.

The little Dakota (...actually it really isn't that little... ) is currently running pretty dern'd well - it's getting some much-needed TLC and should be a good 4-wheeler for a year or so before we do any major mods.

Cheers, and thanks again
- Sam

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #438 ·

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #439 · (Edited)
...well...turns out we were the ones looking for a family-friendly monster ATV...cuz Bud...is 'back' 😝🤪😎

It's all my oldest kids' fault really - she's grown up watching the video's of the 'big blue monster truck' that mom n dad drive around...and...well about a month ago we just decided to try to bring the big beastie back into the family. The truck has been for sale a few times since we let it go in April '17, and it has made its way from Cheyenne, to Richmond Virgina, to where I just picked it up from in Jacksonville, Florida. About a month ago Tracy n me were talking...and we've always loved watching the video's n such, and it was just such a hella-fun 'toy', and we just decided to get it back from wherever it was. I still had the (now previous) owners' contact info, and we made a good deal, and I just completed a 3500-mile round trip to pick up the big beastie.

Big Mack (our '07 3500 5.9 Cummins/6-speed mega4xdually tow truck) was a rock star throughout the whole trip - never missed a beat save for one single instance when the cruise control cancelled itself - I must have hit the button or nudged the brake pedal 'cause it never did it again - other than that the trip was literally flawless, which considering the size and weight of everything is saying something.

What about our Dakota, you ask? It ain't going anywhere - it remains our nice, 'quiet-er', off-road machine, and Tracy's '94 Grand Cherokee will still be built up on 33s. We just wanted our giant family 'toy' back in the stable for those times we wanna git jiggy wit it and have some primal off-road fun - not the go-destroy-stuff kind of fun, just the big silly kind like we've enjoyed all along when we had it before. And yes - I will be addressing ways to make it a bit 'nicer' to be in, mostly involving making it quieter, including another muffler or two, cab insulation, and noise-cancelling insulation specifically made for the 6BT Cummins - all of which should really help tame down the raw noise. I'm also going to work on things like door panels, seals, and, heat - always nice to have. I'll get the chance to 'finish' it, and improve some things along the way. Should be fun :) .

The truck could use some TLC - it's only got about 150 miles put on it since we sold it - otherwise it's just 'sat', much of the time on blocks (thankfully), occasionally being started up and/or driven around, but otherwise very little has happened to it - it's a bit of a time capsule really, but despite needing a jump it fired up instantly when I hit the button, which was the #1 thing I was hoping for, and it was the best kind of music to my ears .

So - there it is. Lots more shenanigans to come.

here he was - sitting sopping wet in Florida - any major issues will likely be related to 'rust'...

Loaded and ready for the 1700-mile return trip -

...and back 'home' -

...just a good stretch of the legs for ole Mack -

- Sam

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #440 ·
alright - Bud's first day out since his near-literal hibernation was a success, tho not without some issues. We went to Chinaman Trail out near Buena Vista - always a great trail, and always a bit 'bigger' than the previous time. Bud did just fine, tho about a quarter of the way into the trail I started noticing a burning smell, which upon inspection I noticed the r-rear rotors was 'dripping'. Yeah apparently the corrosion from being out east and not moving for several years took its toll on the rear calipers and the pistons weren't retracting, and the rear brakes were dragging, enough so to liquify the grease in the hub, which was dripping out the bottom of the slotted rotor - literally smoking hot. Also noticed the left rear was almost as bad - not smoking but too hot to touch. Our solution was to unbolt/pry off both calipers, wedge a small tree branch between the pads, and duck tape them to the top of the leaf springs. Worked great, and since were in lo-lo most of the trail I really didn't 'need' brakes most of the time, and the front F550 brakes are so strong I didn't hardly notice not having the rears. Also interesting is the grease apparently cooled off enough to become 'grease' again and never dripped the rest of the trail.

The rest of the trail was uneventful - the truck seemed to 'remember' why it was built and performed just like it always has - it was like spending quality time with an old friend :) . Ok - pics n vids -

alongside Homers Jeep -

421 - 440 of 441 Posts