Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I do think I am going to buy that cruiser I was previously talking about for $500 Cdn with a running gas motor and needing "some body work"? I still haveing seen it yet, it is a few hours away from me but I trust my friends opinion on it.

Question is can you tell me any and everything about a 75 fj stats and options to common faults and what to look out for or just look for in general. Also if you own one can you post your cruiser pics. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Make life a little easier for you. I have a '75 FJ40.

It is more desirable because it has ambulance doors, is the first year of the later and more powerful 2F engine, has a 4 speed transmission (versus earlier 3 speeds, '75 was the second year of the 4 speed in the US). Also has windshield wipers at the bottom of the windshield. Limitations are drum brakes in the front (in '76 they went with disks). But a disk axle from a later model will bolt in. Other limitations are fine splined slightly weaker axles, but they are 4.11 so they have slightly lower gearing than a '79 or later which runs 3.73 gearing in the axles. It also has a weaker and more tempremental points based non-electronic ignition with a ballast resistor. All of these limitaions are easily replaceable and easy to overcome with some $$ and the patience to learn all about it and put it all on. Also, many of these "limitations" are considered "limitations" because in later years they were replaced with better systems. For example, I run a '76 disk brake axle and '79 ignition. Works great for me and makes it better than a '76 out of the package.

I hope it helps!

Here are picts of mine FWIW,
http://www.collegeinternetsolutions.com/cisautoweb/dtlc/mustard

·
Registered
254 Posts
Needing some body work could make it a huge project as well. Good tubs are hard to find, although replacement body panels are available and a few places make whole new tubs for big $$$$
If you have time and space any runner is worth $500 just for the parts, but it could be a huge project and body work blows.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cruiserhead thanks for the pics, it will help me know what I am missing, do you have any more? As for body work it is one off the things I do for a living so it does not bother me. I have always been a Toy p/u guy and I think I want a change. Why not try a cruiser. If it runs then for me its half the battle and there are not to many of them around. I want it for my DD and for MUD:)

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
Another site that has specs is TLC, they are the new sponsor of this forum and the banner is at the top of the page;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts