Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally started what I hope is a worthy project.

First a little background:

Since high school I've always wanted a dedicated off-road rig. Time and again life, family, priorities, budget, etc. has gotten in the way. For years I drove lifted weekend warrior type trucks but never had something truly capable.

Time has continued to pass and now as I enter my mid 30's, recently lost my father, and have gotten to a place where i have the means to build a rig (within reason) that could check off some of the dream boxes I decided to take the plunge, because there is no time to wait.

My son (10) had taken an automotive interest from an early age and was eager to help, and my daughter (9) started to get excited as well so we all agreed (even the Wife) to find a family project and start getting to work.

I found a 75 K5 that belonged to a Co-worker and was left neglected in the back off a junk yard. It was left laying on it's frame, devoid of any running gear or suspension.

We struck a deal for $650.00 which included throwing a set of half ton axles under it to get it home, but they were never intended for long term use.

Here she is the day I drug here home:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As soon as we got it home and into the shop my son and I started tearing it apart. The Interior was also gutted so we had a head start. It was evident from our first Saturday working on it together this was going to be a very fun project for us.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I quickly realized I was missing a lot of parts and found an old rusty 3/4 ton with a goodwrench crate 350 and brought it home to be a parted out for my build. $400.00 on FB marketplace. After removing a few tons of blackberries some gas was poured down the old Q-Jet and to my amazement the ol' girl fired right up.

After a 50 foot test drive I drove her into the shop and started removing the wiring harness and got the running gear ready for removal.

I sold the axles for my original $400.00 investment went on the hunt for a Dana 60 front end.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my first few parts for the build came in from Offroad design, a high clearance cross member and steering box frame. My son and I removed the front axle, and got the front of the frame prepped for new parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Nice. I miss my '73 Blazer.

·
nice roach.
5,724 Posts
Subbed for a 73-75 K5 build. :smokin:

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A bunch of Parts came in for the Dana 60 build up. Yukon Forged Hubs, 5.38 Ring and pinion, a Detroit Locker, and a full rebuild kit

I sourced a tired old 14 bolt in a trade deal with my Brother but am going to get the front end done before I start on it.

I order disc brake kits from from Lugnut 4x4 for the front and the rear as well.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Along with the 14 bolt I got from my brother I also received a 383 and a TH350 out of his project. He has gone with the masses and decided to swap in a 6.0 LS & 4l80E. Motor is nothing to brag about, but is a definite step up from the tired ol' 350 that came out of the rust-mobile. She needs a big time clean up, but it's something to start with.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Looks like a great start to a family rig! It's great to see kids doing something besides play video games. Family that wrenches and wheels together stays together!

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks like a great start to a family rig! It's great to see kids doing something besides play video games. Family that wrenches and wheels together stays together!
Thanks! Kids still want video game time too, but they are taking an interest. We are having a lot of fun working on it. I'm no mechanic, and this my first attempt at building a rig so we are learning together.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts