Pirate 4x4 banner
121 - 140 of 151 Posts

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
I found a mechanic looking for some side work and hired him to help me get started on the wiring.
My truck had virtually no wiring so I decided to start fresh

I bought a painless 15 circuit weatherproof off road harness
A painless switch panel with a keyed ignition
A painless wire loom kit
And painless grommets, grounding kit, and a few other odds and ends.

I/m routing everything to an optima yellow top battery mounted in the back of the blazer.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
I gambled when I bought this Edelbrock proflo EFI. It came from Ebay, used. The seller was highly rated and had running videos, so I watched it for several days and then when it sat with no bids at $400 I swooped in at the last moment and bought it. It's an older first gen system and took some trail and error, but we got it working and I'm so pumped I was able to get EFI so cheap! I did find one of the relay's was bad and we had to temporarily jump it to get the injectors to fire, but once that relay is replaced everything will be 100 Percent.

I have running videos, but I can't figure out how to post them. Does anyone know how?

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
Thanks!!!
I sometimes wish I never cut mine apart, then I also sometimes wish I just went tube chassis..... hahahhahha

I love the direction of yours. Keep up the great work.

Thanks- where did you get your air intake? I just have a conventional round air cleaner on my Edelbrock EFI and am looking for something more weather/water resistant.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
Had a good weekend working on the Blazer. Got the transmission cooler installed and lines ran, I was able to make mounts and get the radiator installed, and mock up the front clip. The list of items left to check off before a test drive is getting smaller.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
It's been a busy couple of weeks with the holidays, but I got the brakes hooked up, main switch panel installed, and was able to drive the blazer out of the shop under it's own power for the first time.

I've still got lots to do before a real test run. The brakes are all new. New master cylinder, new vacuum booster, all new brake lines, calipers, and 4 wheel disk brakes. After bleeding them about 10 times it still feels like their is air in the system. I ordered a brake kit designed to work with 15" wheels to avoid having to grind my calipers, but apparently it works with "most" 15" wheels and mine do not fall into that category because they rub, so it looks like I'll be grinding them anyway.

Wiring is complete for the engine, fans and fuel system. Still needs to complete wiring for the lights, heater, windshield wipers, and winch.

I got some JW speaker headlights from off road design that I'm excited to get installed.

I added a pic of the kids first ride (about 10' out of the shop) and my switch panel and headlights.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
I was able to make some more progress over the weekend.
Got my Calipers Ground down for clearance...what a pain in the ass, looks like I'll be saving up for 17" Beadlocks and new tires, but not for a while.
Got the winch mounted up, and fabricated a pod for my autometer gauges to sit on top of my roll bar.
Also replaced my heater core so we can keep the family warm for winter wheeling.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
Had a good weekend getting some more stuff knocked out on the blazer. I ordered a Spectre Performance "cold air intake" to use as a starting point to build a snorkel. I had to drill the carb hat for the mass air flow sensor on my EFI to have a port, but it was a pretty straight forward install and I think it's going to work great. I order some extra tubing and a snorkel cap to finish it up.
I got the brakes bled out to where she's finally stopping good. The off road design custom springs and king shock combo is extremely soft and lively. moderate to hard braking from low speed causes some diving and quite a bit of squat under acceleration.
I got one headlight mounted up.......was short on one tension spring to mount the other :rolleyes:. Hoping to wrap up the remaining wiring by the end of next weekend but we'll see how it goes. February 19th will mark 2 years since I brought this rig home. Hoping to have it out for a real test run by that time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had a snorkel set up like that on one of my old chevys. In the trails it’ll be perfect. If you plan on cruising the street to get to the trails you might have an issue. In 3rd gear cruising at 35-40 it was no where near enough air for my engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
I had a snorkel set up like that on one of my old chevys. In the trails it’ll be perfect. If you plan on cruising the street to get to the trails you might have an issue. In 3rd gear cruising at 35-40 it was no where near enough air for my engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I appreciate the information. This rig is being built as a "trail only" vehicle. It's got 5.38 gears, spool in the rear and a Detroit Locker up front. That, along with the 18" wide boggers would make for some pretty unpleasant road manners so I don't have any plans to make it street legal or drive it on the road.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
Had another good weekend making progress. I was able to get a tailgate installed. I found on that was a similar color off of a late 80's or early 90's 1 ton (my blazer didn't have one when I got it, and I'm running a soft top so I wanted a lighter truck tailgate) I am going to wire in the rad running lights and it has factory "fuel injection" badging which is appropriate for my rig.

I got the headlights and marker lights wired in and working, along with the dash lights for the gauges. Headlights are Awesome, super bright!! I was hoping to have the wiring 100% complete by the end of the weekend, but I still have to complete the wiring for the heater, the wipers, the tail lights, and the fuel gauge. I'm really happy with how it's turning out, just time consuming.

Progress pics:

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
I've been continuing to work down the list of remaining items on this thing. Wiring is now complete expect for some looming and finish items. We have working heat, wiper, lights, etc.

I was able to to get my soft top installed over the weekend a well. I purchased it through offroad design during their black Friday sale. I've seen them online, but never in person. I was definitely impressed by the fit/finish and overall quality. Install was pretty easy and straight forward. stretching the top was a pain in the ass the first time, as expected but will get easier as it breaks in.

My son's interest in helping has gone up and down throughout the project, but he's been back to wanting to pitch in a lot more these last few weekends. It has been hard to find the balance of wanting to get it complete and having the kids involved in every step, but I think it's gone pretty well.

Progress pics:

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
We had a nasty ice storm come through that caused a big mess everywhere over Valentines weekend. We had no power for a week and I didn't make any progress, but things have been restored and I was back to it over the weekend.

We spent this weekend installing new hinges for the doors, getting the doors and hood installed, and continuing to finish up the wiring with final looming and securing everything.

took it out for a short road test, lots of torque twist and body roll with the soft ORD springs, but it feel like it's got lots of power and will be lots of fun on the trail.

I'll be taking it to the exhaust shop this week to have dual exhaust and mufflers put on.

121 - 140 of 151 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.