Pirate 4x4 banner

141 - 145 of 145 Posts

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
Spent the weekend wrapping up odds and ends, looming wires, and figuring out the intake. I decided against installing a snorkel and mounted the Spectre cold air intake kit the passenger inner fender with a UMP intake scoop and outerwear. I opened the fenders up some more and feel like I have enough clearance to go out and do some real testing.

A couple of demons have popped up during testing, rear main seal is leaking oil along with the dipstick tube and the rear diff cover so the plan is to spend this coming weekend getting those fixed up.

My wife went along for her first ride (just up and down the road a half a mile each way). I'm planning trips for the summer and really looking forward to getting out to trails and sand dunes to see what she can do.

Progress Pics:

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
Long overdue update

Still been chasing down the last few demons on the blazer. I'm not going to lie, it feels like the last 5% of this build has been a complete forceful opposition from the rig, as if it just doesn't want to be completed. This has been my first full build, so maybe my lack of experience is just making it feel this way, or maybe they are just all this way.

I replaced the rear main seal, but found the oil pan still had a small leak. Purchased a new pan and installed it and the leaking seems to be cured. Replaced the pinion seal and rear diff cover gasket. I'm hopeful all the leaks have subsided for the time being.

Engine was idling rich, but popping and not running great at full throttle. After doing some research within the Edlebrock manual it indicated the engine would need to have the timing set again after the camshaft broke in. While hooking up the timing light I accidentally rotated the distributor and could never get it back into time after fighting it for hours. Tried to start it so many times I fried my starter in the process.

Picked up a new starter, cap and rotor so I can keep trying to get her back to running order.

On a positive note went to the DMV and got her registered and got an SP Plate for any short road crossings.

141 - 145 of 145 Posts