Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and didn't find what I was looking for... I have a '75 F250 2wd and the running gear from a '79 4x4 Bronco. You see where this is going.... It looks like it should be a fairly simple, bolt in swap to go 4x4 with the F250. What about the steering box and how it bolts to the frame? The d44 has the drag link in the front and the 2wd has the drag link in the rear. Is it going to be a bitch?

·
Registered
365 Posts
I don't think it will quite be "bolt in" you will have to fab a couple of things or go with a huge lift in the front. I think the 75 2wd has a narrower frame at the front drivetrain mounting points.

My buddy is doing the same thing but with a 2wd crewcab.
the front cross member is setup for the wishbone susp. and is low and right over the axle center, you basicly need a six inch lift just to clear the x-member ( which becomes almost non functional because of the low clearance
)

Unless you have a flat top knuckle that you can add a steering arm that faces the rear you will need to move and swap the steering box.

Yes this can be a bitch, depending on your skills etc.

·
Registered
316 Posts
if the 2wd is the same frame from the f100-f250 I am getting ready to have the same problems I think. I have been looking to to it to my 76 f100 and have all the drive train parts from a 79 Bronco.

I have looked at the frame alot and none of the factory holes are there for the crossmember or any of the front suspension. my plan for the engine crossmemeber was to hack out all of it except for the part that the motor bolts to and fab one out in fron under the core support.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll take a closer look at the cross member, steering box set up, and pull some measurements tonight.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
ive tried this. One thing youll ahve to fabricate is radius arm mounts or extend the arms. They hit oddly on the 2wd frame and a couple of the bracket bolt holes come nowhere close to hitting the frame

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The truck frame is actually 1 1/2" wider. The cross member is completely different as well as being located differenly. This is looking more and more like it would be a major project. Probably much easier to find a 4wd frame to begin with.

·
Registered
316 Posts
it would definately be easier to start with a 4x4 frame but I guess it realy depends what you are wanting to end up with in the end.

I have a 4wd frame but I am wanting to push out the front end forward a little. IMO that makes it pretty much even as far as how much work it is going to be, because I will have to move all the brackets forward or fab all new ones.

I am kind of waiting to see what the 4x4 frame looks like when I get everything here and can measure it all up. was it an 1-1/2" wider all the way back or just in the tranny crossmember area?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts