Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 322 Posts

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well My current car is approaching 4 years old and It is time to step up to more modern safety standards.

This is going to be a slower build as i have no sponsors and all work is being done by myself with a full time job.

Goals and projections.

New chassis is 1.75" Cromoly .120 wall.
Everything Cromoly. Including Tabs.

Front engine

120" WB is the goal

Rear steer portals 25" travel
Spidertrax pro cromoly housing. 9" third. My 300m Kingpins. Aluminum Portal boxes. Spool

Front IFS portals 20" travel. Aluminum box/404 gears. 930 cv's
Ford 8.8 HP 3.55 gears Aluminum third with ARB.

Motor will be 418 Ls3 ported and polished
4l80e
np205

Seats Bears SXT-3 for saftey.

Steering is still up in the air debating full hydro or Rack and pinion.

Attachments

·
Vendor
3,519 Posts
Holy hell yes. This build looks to be freakin awesome man, I can't wait to see how it all comes out!

Random question, how well does your current rear steer fare at speed? Does it give you any sort of wander or floating feeling, or do you have some sort of lockout? I've never built or driven a rear steer rig so I'm just curious and lookin for experience.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
In on this one, can't wait to see the front portal set up completed..

Are you planning on having the portals incorporated into the outer upright and have it as basically a tall spindle upright? Or are you going to have the portal bolt on to the spindle upright as basically an extension the the spindle upright making the lower arms actually higher than the wheel mounting surface ?

I would imagine you would be able to get almost double the a-arm width if you were to have the portal incorporated with the upright as one. Having the lower arm level with wms.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Those portals are wicked. With 120" wheelbase you have room to snake the dshafts around stuff. You could do front and rear indapendent suspension...

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Having personally ridden in marks rocket ship with rear steer it handles very well, that ls3 is nasty, thanks for the ride bud can't wait to go for a ride in the new one
Ryan

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Looking forward to the progress Mark, should be a badass build!

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Mark,

Are your CV flanges that go into the boxes one piece or did you tig weld a 930 cv flange to a mog stub?

Looks awesome!

·
Registered
308 Posts
What will the final width of the car be??
And with 20" of travel, what kind of steering angle will you be able to get?

This is going to be a sweet build, can't wait to see it all come together:smokin:

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rear steer has not been a problem so far over the last 4 years.

I will use a Steel cover for the third to keep it more ridged.

Mark,

Are your CV flanges that go into the boxes one piece or did you tig weld a 930 cv flange to a mog stub?

Looks awesome!
They are welded. I am sending it off to have it made. one piece.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What will the final width of the car be??
And with 20" of travel, what kind of steering angle will you be able to get?

This is going to be a sweet build, can't wait to see it all come together:smokin:
Rear steer will enable me to use more travel up front and still fly in the trails.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Front IFS portals 20" travel. Aluminum box/404 gears. 930 cv's
Are your portals a 1-1 ratio?

I considered investigating portals, but wanted to explore as many stock parts as possible.

Looking forward to seeing the fruit of your labour. :)

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Pretty sure this is gonna turn out BADASS!

Any mods wanna edit the title? pretty sure it's supposed to be "JV Assassin".... Not sure what a "Assian" is...

·
Registered
12,251 Posts
Are your portals a 1-1 ratio?

I considered investigating portals, but wanted to explore as many stock parts as possible.

Looking forward to seeing the fruit of your labour. :)
I would assume not, without the gear reduction in the hubs it wouldnt take the load off the center chunk and theres no way that a 8.8 third would hold up.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
cant wait to see this thing come together. are you going to take a lot of parts off your current car for it or sell the old car?

1 - 20 of 322 Posts