Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine just picked up a IH scout II for $1.00. It's a 76, with a V8 and an Auto. I'm still trying to verify what the engine and tranny are, I'm thinking it's a 304, but not sure on the tranny.

Problem is the Auto isn't shifting. You start it up and drive and it never shifts up to the next gear. Could be the reason he got it for a buck, but still I'm not very knowledgable about auto, any suggestions?

It seems to be leaking a bit of tranny fluid, but other than that appears to be in good shape.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,789 Posts
This is less and IH question, as it is a general auto tranny question.

The tranny is just a 727, same unit Chrysler has run for years. The case is IH specific, but the guts are the same (with the exception of the output shaft/t-case adapter)

sounds like you have tranny issues. Not familiar enough with the damn things to give you a diagnostic.

·
Registered
12,651 Posts
Steven_Mc said:
A friend of mine just picked up a IH scout II for $1.00. It's a 76, with a V8 and an Auto. I'm still trying to verify what the engine and tranny are, I'm thinking it's a 304, but not sure on the tranny.

Problem is the Auto isn't shifting. You start it up and drive and it never shifts up to the next gear. Could be the reason he got it for a buck, but still I'm not very knowledgable about auto, any suggestions?

It seems to be leaking a bit of tranny fluid, but other than that appears to be in good shape.

Thanks.
Imagine that, a tech question on the Pirate Board... What is the world coming to?

Sounds like his low/reverse band is jammed and won't release. Could be a frozen servo, could be the valve body, could be someone overtightened the band so it cannot release, could be something else causing it. You could take the pan off, drop the valve body and take a look at the servos and bands to see. But, odds are you need to drop the tranny and rebuild it.

·
Registered
12,651 Posts
Fluid Level

jdjanda said:
Before you go and tear it all apart check the fluid level.
Low fluid won't affect 1st to second shift, or lack thereof, although a check of fluid levels is always in order. If the fluid is too low, it won't go into any gear. But if it has enough fluid to move in first gear, it has enough fluid to make the shift to second gear and keep going.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I had the same prob in my 78 traveler, As I was towing it behind me it decided it wanted to start up and throw its self into park for no apperent reason:eek: . Luckly I wasnt being dumb that day and was only going about 15 mph. I looked back to see my brother Giving me the signal to stop right as it locked up, Thought I might rip my bumper off but no luck yet! The 727 was Cooked from before but the big bang as it hit park jjust reassured me that it was gone.:D Rebuild it and try to break it!

·
Registered
12,651 Posts
Parking sprag

Sully said:

Time for an exorcist?
Funny thing is, in this case, he would have been better off at higher speed. The parking sprag will not engage if the rear output shaft is spinning faster than a particular rpm. Mine simply will not go into park at anything over about 10 or 15 mph.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.