Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trucks front steering suspension is completely toast. I think the d44 axle tubes are 1 peice. Hoping to verify that before I start cutting them off to build a 3 or 4 link.

Also curious what you guys thought of all poly bushings 4 link. Rig will go offroad but nothing crazy.
Im running poly and 1.25 heims on my jeep.
Kinda worried all poly joints would wear fast. Will be running 33-35" tire. Lifted 2-4" to clear over the knuckle steering with matching track bar

As a side note truck may turn into my welding/service rig about 1800lbs of welder and tools. Maybe offroad recovery to.

I am kinda watching for a dana 60 70 combo off a dodge. Im not sure its worth the effort to take wedges off 44. Just haven't found the right 200dollar deal for the axle combo yet. In reality the 44 9" combo will probably be plenty.

Thanks for your thoughts and opions

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Taking wedges off of an early 44 is easy. I cut the welds and banged it hard with a hammer. Had all four off in about 20 minutes. Based on what you want to do, leave it alone. That's a lot of time and effort for not much improvement. By the time you add all that weight, finding decent springs to support it will be difficult, or expensive. Your choice.

If you're adding that kind of weight, you NEED bigger axles. Even if you don't break the shafts, you're likely to bending a housing causing gears to eat themselves. Find a junkyard Dana 60 rear from any Ford from 68' to 79'. It'll bolt in. Then take your time looking for a dana 60.

Poly Heim joints are okay, but can have a bit more deflection do to the give in the bushing. Not the end of the world, but it's a thing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By weight you mean the welder and stuff I didn't think 1800lbs was that much i figure 4" springs may squat to alittle over factory height

Building on the 44 wouldn't be worth it or the link suspension in general.

I started doing exhaust tonight exhaust tubes are eating up upper arm realistate fast

Thanks for the reply. I'll definitely watch for axles.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Linking suspension has lots of benefits. But for what you're describing, the radius arm setup is a lot more simple and works really well. It's a half ton truck. Which means that it was meant to haul about 1000 lbs in the bed. But you'd have to look at the GVWR to know for sure. And 1800 is a lot more than that. 4" lift springs only change the height, not the load carrying capability. 3/4 ton springs have different spring rates than 1/2 ton. Once you 'link it, you'll need front springs. They never made a set of 3/4 ton springs from those early F150s. Deaver is a good start, but they aren't cheap. You could try to use some Excursion springs. But it's not a direct swap. If you didn't want to carry that kind of weight AND you really wanted to 'wheel it, the a 3 or 4 line would make more sense.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
10/4
Wasn't thinking 1800 lbs was much.
I would like to wheel it but also want the welder in it for fence jobs and misc equipment repair. I got tired of the welder in my cummins I only use the welder accasionaly

I only want to lift to gain steering clerance looks like it will clear the tires i want as it is. Linking it is just for fun and since every joint on the thing needs replaced. And gain adjustable castor.

It looks like I could run steering under the knuckle and maybe jive with track bar. Ive already bent my jeep steering thats up high. Ughh

Thanks for your thoughts. I'll build as is. Was looking at shackle reversal and cobbling leafs in to match the front lift if i lift it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts