Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read that '78-79 Ford F150 D44 fronts are good candidates for a YJ, but what about a '76 F150? What things make this axle a turd? Is it undesirable for shortening?

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
As long as it is disk then it is fine. It will be low pinion probably but there are som HP44's in those days. It is a good 44 for a yj

·
Registered
933 Posts
also that year i think has coils and if you take all that shit out you can't weld new perches on for a yj because of the cast that is left there from the spring mounts

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I thought the late 70's f150 HP44 were desireable? They were Driver's drop, and not the cast mounts, correct? I thought the earlier ones and the bronco's used the cast mounts? I'm under the impression that these are perfect for a YJ.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
90wrangler said:
also that year i think has coils and if you take all that shit out you can't weld new perches on for a yj because of the cast that is left there from the spring mounts
Why not?? I torched and ground the radius arm mounts off nice and clean, you can't even tell they were ever there. 1976 high pinion D44 with factory 4.10 and drums. Also has the heavier tubes.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
90wrangler said:
If you are talking about the hollow radius arm mounts, you are wrong. That year doesn't have the cast mounts that are nonremoveable. 77½-79's F150's and broncos had the cast in radius arm mounts.

....although, I have one of these axles sitting around that I'm going to try to adapt for a YJ. I think it can be done. I am fairly sure that those things are weldable, so even if I have to creatively form a spring perch with the cutter to conform to the radius arm mount, I think they're "leaf-able." My plan is to conform a perch to it, weld on the perch, then make a wider- than-normal u bolt plate for it, and run it like that, SOA. Even if I can't get a tremendo weld on it, even a little welding will stop it from moving around (since the rotation will be stopped by the shape of the Radius arm mount).

I was working on one of these late 70's HP 44's yesterday, totally scoping it - I'm sure it can be done.

Bob

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Wow, lots of contradiction and misinformation here, read Mr. N's article, it's a fine piece of work.

'76 Ford F-150 front axle is an excellent candidate for narrowing into a YJ, it will be high pinion and it should have welded on radius arm mounts that are easily removed, unlike the '78-'79 axles.

'76 Ford F-250 or F-150 X-cab frotn axle is another story, low pinion and leaf spring pad cast into housing, not a bad swap candidate, almost a bolt it, but the '77 and later F-250 and F-150 X-cab front Dana 44's were high pinion with the same cast-in leaf spring pads, a very nice axle to swap into a YJ.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the great info fellas.

Mr. N, very informative website.

I'm gonna call my buddy's friend tonite and find out the specifics of the Ford D44. Hopefully its the original front axle with discs and high pinion. :D

·
Registered
737 Posts
If you just want a housing, Ford made high pinion housings all the way back to the late 1960's. They are open knuckle, but until 1976, had drum brakes. My 1972 unit came with 1/2" thich axle tubes and the welded on radius arm mounts.

If you want flat top's etc, why not just buy a bare axle and add the Chevy/ FS Jeep junk later????

Andy

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
The low pinion with the leaf mounts will be a problem with pinion angle and caster. The high pinion with steel c-bushing mounts is what I switched to (still using my 8 lug outers) and it worked perfect for pinion angle, and caster! BTW, it's SOA in a front leaf sprung XJ.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Thanks 4Bangler, also thanks for the kind words ElementX. The article is long over due for an update, I've a punch more pictures.
I'm in rough stages for this

afecko said:
If you just want a housing, Ford made high pinion housings all the way back to the late 1960's.
Hey Andy, knock me off my socks. Do you know the DAY Dana released the FIRST Reverse Spiral for production? :p

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
4Bangler said:
Wow, lots of contradiction and misinformation here
:D
"Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it. Don't ever forget that you just may wind up being wrong" -Jimmy Buffet
Ah Yes the "Ocean" of "Web Knowledge."
Soon to be by sig again, after the War is over. Go Army!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts