Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
thhhpptthh!
46,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have any test runs/breakage in on these yet? seem any stronger than the 297x's?

Just wonderin if it was worth the $40 to replace 2 while i have the shafts out.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Check with Ok Crawler he's been running them for about a year, the are definatly stronger even at full lock they are as strong as a stock spicer axle shaft, so far if the joint has failed so has the stub and inner axle shaft.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Yeah, they're stronger. I started breaking stubs and inners instead of u-joints. But the caps are still the same strength- they still popped the top of the caps out occasionally.
I have a feeling they would survive pretty well w/ chro-mo shafts.

·
Banned
5,372 Posts
I blew one up the other weekend in my 97 Ram. Took out the long side (is it really the long side if its a stupid CAD setup?). Well, since I couldn't find the u-joint I am not sure. Probably busted the shafts instead.

The outer has the ears peeled out on one side and rolled in on the other. The inner has the ear sheared clean off. Makes me think the joint survived and just ate the shafts.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I am running 760's with tack weld on the caps and stock shafts - I have caught three joiunts spitting the needle bearings out of the base of the cup. I have able to replace all of them with no actual failure. 2 weeks ago I broke a stub shaft with a 760 joint and then a inner shaft with a 20 year old 297.

Who's to say:rolleyes: If you have run the 297's for a year / season I would replace them.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
sceep said:
anyone have any test runs/breakage in on these yet? seem any stronger than the 297x's?

Just wonderin if it was worth the $40 to replace 2 while i have the shafts out.
Just a note, the 297 is no longer available unless someone has had them on the shelf for a while. The 760 replaced it.

I have had the 760 in Warn shafts for a year now without any problems. (37s/Atlas) Actually broke a long side inner at the splines running the 760 and hub fuses and the joint held up.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
i hate spicer shit:mad: broke 12 pieces 297and aftermarket joints in one summer
ctm is only way to go:D :flipoff2:

·
Registered
130 Posts
ZAG said:
i hate spicer shit:mad: broke 12 pieces 297and aftermarket joints in one summer
Maybe you should learn how to drive and quit using momentum :flipoff2:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts