Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a 1977-86 Dana 30 jeep spindle they can measure a few things on with some calipers?

I'm looking to compare the disc brake spindle to the earlier drum brake spindle.

I'm fairly sure they use the same stub axle and locking hub so the overall length must be similar? I need to find out if the disc brake spindle still has the 2.75" dia lip on the spindle that the drum brake backing plate indexes on.

Also, if I can bolt on earlier wheel bearing hubs to the disc brake spindle that has the larger ID inner bearing ( with a bearing swap ).

I'm looking to get two of these....

https://www.4wdfactory.com/store/products.php?product=Spindle,-'77%2d'86-Jeep-CJ,-Dana-30,-30-spline-outer-stub

Large bore aftermarket spindles that will allow me to pass a 30 spline shaft through....

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
11,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perfect, thank you very much!

Could you measure the seal diameter also please?

The later spindle uses a larger ID inner bearing, but length and bearing spacing looks the same as the earlier spindle from my research.

Thank you for the help.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I measure 2.310 on the spindle where the seal rides. The wheel seal is a National 493637. It calls for a 2.33" "Shaft"(Spindle OD), 2.997". Width is .312" Bore in the hub, and the seal itself measures 3.001" OD

I think you are right about the bearings. The older hubs used the LM501349 bearings inner and outer. The later 77-86 CJ's used the LM501349 bearing on the outer but had a larger inner bearing.

Just an FYI: Seems like the spindle would be REAL thin near the notch for the spindle nut retainer/washer if bored out for a 30 spline axle.

Perfect, thank you very much!

Could you measure the seal diameter also please?

The later spindle uses a larger ID inner bearing, but length and bearing spacing looks the same as the earlier spindle from my research.

Thank you for the help.

·
Registered
11,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for all the info!

The Yukon spindle is all new and built to take a 30 spline shaft stock. Most D44 spindles use the same thread size, but for some reason most of the factory jeep spindles have a VERY deep groove compared to other D44 stuff.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I have not seen the 30 spline capable Yukon's in person. As long as they are building them from scratch and not boring out Spicer's or aftermarkets with the deep groove it should be fine. You are correct- same threads.OD, but the groove is stupid deep on factory Spicer CJ spindles- don't know why either.

·
Registered
11,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is what they have to say about the spindle....

Front spindles for heavy-duty axles for '77-'86 Dana Spicer 30 Jeep CJ with disc brakes. Also works with some Dana 44 axles. This spindle is a former Warn Product (now Yukon Hardcore Series). It is designed with a larger ID to allow use of Yukon Hardcore Series 30 spline outer axle stub shafts.

Includes spindle bearing and seal kit (Dana Spicer 706527X)
Designed to be used with Yukon Hardcore Series 30 spline outer stub shafts.
Can also be use as a replacement for stock Dana Spicer 706537X

·
Registered
14 Posts
Did the Youkon spindles work with the drum style hubs? If so, what combination of bearings and seals did you use?

·
Registered
11,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did the Youkon spindles work with the drum style hubs? If so, what combination of bearings and seals did you use?
Kinda. I had to turn the hub for the inner bearing race. I eventually replaced them with later bearing hubs.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Sorry for reviving the thread from the dead, but I am having a hard time getting a response from Yukon. Does anybody have a PN for the Dana 30 spindles that will accept 30 spline axles? Every application I see for the Yukon spindles says 27 spline. I can’t find any bore measurements. I just would like to find a Bolton replacement for the old Warn spindles. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
11,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry for reviving the thread from the dead, but I am having a hard time getting a response from Yukon. Does anybody have a PN for the Dana 30 spindles that will accept 30 spline axles? Every application I see for the Yukon spindles says 27 spline. I can’t find any bore measurements. I just would like to find a Bolton replacement for the old Warn spindles. Thanks guys!
Yukon no longer makes a 30 spline capable D30 spindle.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Sounds like you may be looking for spindle that Warn used for their rear full float set up?? I had a couple Dana 30 disc brake spindles bored and machined for the inner axle seal to match the old Warn ones. It was a few years ago and was tough to find someone willing to machine them. I may still have the contact if you want to me Pm me. Yes the groove gets thin but they have not bent yet running 235 85 16 tires on a commando that gets used fairly hard.

·
Registered
11,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds like you may be looking for spindle that Warn used for their rear full float set up?? I had a couple Dana 30 disc brake spindles bored and machined for the inner axle seal to match the old Warn ones. It was a few years ago and was tough to find someone willing to machine them. I may still have the contact if you want to me Pm me. Yes the groove gets thin but they have not bent yet running 235 85 16 tires on a commando that gets used fairly hard.
The warn spindle was for an internal spline hub. If you want to convert to an internal spline hub system you can use a GM small bearing spindle as a base. They can be bored to pass a 30 spline shaft. You have to use a ford bearing hub to get back to 5 on 5.5, or maybe it was a scout, been too long.....

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
You have to use a ford bearing hub to get back to 5 on 5.5, or maybe it was a scout, been too long.....
The Scout bearing hub is the same as the CJ Dana 30 bearing hub. The Ford bearing hub would require internal type lockouts and the Ford outer axleshaft, which uses the larger 297x ujoints, so upgraded D30 inners which also use the 297x are necessary.

·
Registered
11,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Scout bearing hub is the same as the CJ Dana 30 bearing hub. The Ford bearing hub would require internal type lockouts and the Ford outer axleshaft, which uses the larger 297x ujoints, so upgraded D30 inners which also use the 297x are necessary.
Yes, but we where talking rear full float 30 spline stuff.

The scout bearing hub used a different bearing spacing than the ford/gm bearing hub if I remember right. It won't work on the GM small bearing spindle?

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
The D30 CJ spindle is interchangeable from the drum brake to disc brake by simply swapping spindles and inner bearings/seal.

Years back, in the middle of the Ersham Dusy trail, our trail leader snapped his spindle, and I happened to have my spare tire mounted on my rig with a spindle/hub assembly. We bolted my stuff to his stuff and away we went.

You can use disc brake spindles with a drum brake hub, or vice-verse, or whatever. For what it's worth, the disc brake spindle is stronger, as there's more meat on the unit.

Regarding the Warn spindle verse the CJ disc spindle, they're essentially the same, with a slightly larger bore diameter for the 30 splined stub axle, instead of the OEM 27 splines. I believe the external hub / internal hub doesn't come into play at all. Nor are the axles any different lengths.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts

The scout bearing hub used a different bearing spacing than the ford/gm bearing hub if I remember right. It won't work on the GM small bearing spindle?
Also, on the CJ axles, the rear spindle is easily adapted to a front housing, or, a front housing adapted easily to the rear. Four of the six mounting holes are prefect aligned, only two holes need be re-drilled, and that's easy.

Boring the center is a tad more involved, but still accomplish-able by the home mechanic. There used to be U tube videos, but it's been forever since I've looked.

The SCOUT spindles are not compatible with the CJ spindles, but the wheel hubs are the same.

·
Registered
11,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also, on the CJ axles, the rear spindle is easily adapted to a front housing, or, a front housing adapted easily to the rear. Four of the six mounting holes are prefect aligned, only two holes need be re-drilled, and that's easy.

Boring the center is a tad more involved, but still accomplish-able by the home mechanic. There used to be U tube videos, but it's been forever since I've looked.

The SCOUT spindles are not compatible with the CJ spindles, but the wheel hubs are the same.
The early Jeep spindles typically cannot be bored large enough to pass a 30 spline axle shaft from the outside. The keyway is too deep.

The GM small bearing spindle may be able to be bored out to pass a 30 spline shaft.

I am not sure about the Scout spindle.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
With no mention of the word "rear" or even which axle you were working on there was no way to know that from the context of this thread. Thirty spline doesn't automatically make it a rear application.

True. As I said, the Scout D44 (and D30) wheel bearing hub is the same one used on the CJ D30. A Scout D33 has the same outers (minus the brakes and the number of spindle studs) as a CJ D30, just with stub shafts that uses the 297x ujoint instead of the 260x.

You can use disc brake spindles with a drum brake hub, or vice-verse, or whatever.
The only difference in the hubs is the disc brake hubs have a machined face on the back side of the lug flange for the rotor to sit flat against.

This thread may have some usable info on spindle use. Seems that you can bore the D30 spindles to be large enough.

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-hardcore-tech/2676946-large-splined-outer-axles-cj-spindles.html

·
Registered
11,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
With no mention of the word "rear" or even which axle you were working on there was no way to know that from the context of this thread. Thirty spline doesn't automatically make it a rear application.
My apologies, there was some off-line stuff going around too.

The only difference in the hubs is the disc brake hubs have a machined face on the back side of the lug flange for the rotor to sit flat against.
There are some small differences for the late model inner bearing. I tried using the late bearings in an early hub and had to modify the bearing hub to get it to work. It never worked perfect. I later replaced the early bearing hubs with later bearing hubs and everything worked like it should with the late jeep spindle ( with the larger inner bearing )

This thread may have some usable info on spindle use. Seems that you can bore the D30 spindles to be large enough.

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-hardcore-tech/2676946-large-splined-outer-axles-cj-spindles.html
Again....the keyway on the Jeep Dana 30 early or late model spindle is cut too deep to allow it to be bored out to clear a 30 spline shaft. The bore will break out into the keyway groove. I tried to do just that.

I ended up having to use the discontinued Yukon spindle which had a much shallower keyway to allow the larger bore to clear the 30 spline shaft.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts