Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noobie axle question. Are the D44/9" found in the 78-79 Broncos the same axles found in the 78-79 Ford F100 or F150? Is there any difference? Which is better? Thanks!! Judd

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
yep

·
Registered
701 Posts
do a search on here i know there are some pics of that very thing
The Rockslut said:
Can the flat top-ish knuckles found on these 78-79 front 44's be machined and drilled for regular D44 hi -steer arms?
yes it has been done ,although many argue the fact but it is possible :eek: do a search on here i know there are pics off it around somwere:D

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
The Rockslut said:
Can the flat top-ish knuckles found on these 78-79 front 44's be machined and drilled for regular D44 hi -steer arms?
NO, don't do it!
The knuckle does not have enough gurth for the studs to attach to.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Judd said:
Noobie axle question. Are the D44/9" found in the 78-79 Broncos the same axles found in the 78-79 Ford F100 or F150? Is there any difference? Which is better? Thanks!! Judd
Yes and No

:flipoff2:
Dana ran the following Fronts
610019 . . 78 F1x0 . . . . 78 Bronco
610020 . . 78 F1x0 . . . . 78 Bronco
610047 . . 78.5 F150 . . 78.5 Bronco
610066 . . 79 F150 . . . . 79 Bronco
610049 . . 78.5 F150
610067 . . 79 F150
F150 Suber cab 44 are leaf spring mounted. For better see below link.

The 9" is the same type, I believe.

Edit -> I forgot the :flipoff2:

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Mr.N said:
NO, don't do it!
The knuckle does not have enough gurth for the studs to attach to.
Ok then. Without swapping to GM/Jeep outers what knuckles can I replace my current knuckles with so that attaching standard hi steer arms is safe? I have a 79 F150 front end.

·
Registered
701 Posts
f250 knuckles are the flat top ones you should use, leaf mounted front axle:D

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
alx said:
f250 knuckles are the flat top ones you should use, leaf mounted front axle:D
But with those knuckles you have to run a 8 bolt wheel. Unless you make custom caliper brackets and use aftermarket calipers. I'd say it not the option he is looking for.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Mr.N said:
But with those knuckles you have to run a 8 bolt wheel. Unless you make custom caliper brackets and use aftermarket calipers. I'd say it not the option he is looking for.

whys that they have the same 5 bolt spindal pattern and use the same spindal :confused: as the 78-79 D44's

edit to ad this link
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=119552

seems to work one way why not the other :eek:

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
First thing, I've never tried to fit the pieces. I've just held them in my hand a the junk yard and gave it a look over...
I don't have time to upload my pics (that and I don't have a red start) but...

The 3/4 ton flat top knuckle ran from 76-79 is much larger and has greater gurth. The 1/2 knuckle is much smaller and if looking from the side has a notch at 2 O'clock. This notch is for allowing the 1/2 ton caliper to fit into. The 3/4 ton Dana 44 knuckle does not have the notch, so the 1/2 ton caliper can not fit. It's that easy.

The only knuckle that MIGHT fit this application (using the F150 spindle and out parts) is off a 77-79 Subercab. I've read they have a unique knucle, so hope is alive. If the weather get warm (above 40) I'm going to pull one this weekend. And yes just for checking, also they seem to go for $130-200 a set :eek:

·
Registered
701 Posts
ive got a set of flat tops of that HP 44 ill go see if the 1/2 ton shit will fit .
you are right about the notch being there on the 1/2 ton stuff,so maybe it wont work
but damn it sure would be nice if it did .:D

·
Registered
134 Posts
alx said:
ive got a set of flat tops of that HP 44 ill go see if the 1/2 ton shit will fit .
you are right about the notch being there on the 1/2 ton stuff,so maybe it wont work
Please do...
I just bought a driver's side F-250 knuckle and am ready to machine my passenger side F-150 unit and drill and tap it....

I either need to know if the F-150 pieces I have on the truck now will fit the new F-250 knuckle....or dump it and machine BOTH of my F-150 pieces....

I had actually considered the 3/4 ton spindle and hubs to go 8 lug....but I actually like my rims and tires that are on it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
alx said:
I just went out and looked at mine....
The "notch" you speak of... Is it more of a curved inset? Like the clearance for a caliper piston?

If so, I think that the F-250 knuckle will allow the piston to clear by very little... enough to get slightly creative with a grinder.

The smaller"notch" at the top of the knuckle isn't going to be an issue.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
The F-150 caliper will not fit the f-250 knuckle. That is unless you cut that part out completely. I have mine cut out right now, will post pics when I get home next week.

F-150 extcab knuckles are a bolt on fix that will make everything work. Well you still have to drill and tap the right side. I have a couple sets of these. I am just making the 250 one's work, just to try it.

Of course you could just make it 8lug and be done, but what fun would that be. And no the 250 caliper does not line up with 150 rotor, about 1/2 of the brake pad hangs off it. Then again I guess you could find a larger rotor with the same offset.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
emsoffroad said:
The F-150 caliper will not fit the f-250 knuckle. That is unless you cut that part out completely. I have mine cut out right now, will post pics when I get home next week.

F-150 extcab knuckles are a bolt on fix that will make everything work.
I didn't make it out this weekend. Make sure you post pics of both knuckles! Or PM me with the pics and I'll post them on the web. THanks

O Yeah, 1/2 tons came with 5 and 6 bolt spindles, the hole in the middle is much larger on the Ford 5 bolt. 6 BOlt is the same size hole as the other Dana stuff. Until I get some time just search E-bay for pics of knuckles.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Mr.N said:

O Yeah, 1/2 tons came with 5 and 6 bolt spindles, the hole in the middle is much larger on the Ford 5 bolt. 6 BOlt is the same size hole as the other Dana stuff. Until I get some time just search E-bay for pics of knuckles.
Six bolt is only drum brake, EB stuff, and TTB form 80-91. This is as far as I have seen. I will post the pics and email them to you as well.

The easiest way to get flat tops is to just use the pre 77 chevy or FSJ stuff, with the ford hub/rotor. The 150 ext cab is a PITA to get. Or do the 8 lug swap.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts