Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I am starting to tear down the d44 to gut it and then cut the long side. I take off the automatic hub cover and take off the spring clip on the axle shaft. Next the axle shaft washer (inside splines fit over the shaft) and the damned thing wont come off. So I think ok a little pressure and it will break free. No go. I spray enough PB blast to kill a man and still nothing. I try to blue torch it on the washer to have it expand then big ass flathead behind it and still nothing. WTF?? There is nothing in the way of it sliding off the axle shaft spines. There cannot be a way for a thin washer to be so rusted on to the shaft that it wont come off is there??? I was so pissed I sprayed even more PB blast on it and put the freakin cover back on to let it sit.

Anyone else have this kind of problem with an automatic locking hub set up?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
several years ago i had the same problem, i can't undrstand why it did this but it did, I greased, oiled, and pryed and it wouldn't come off. I ended up using a drillbit and putting it in the spline grooves, i dug them a bit deaper and it finally came off. It seamed like the end of the spline were permanently expanded or something. :confused:

·
3d Artist for Hire!
19,323 Posts
Did you remove the big circle spring on the outer edge of the hub assembly?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On the automatic hubs they dont have the outside spring. The lockouts have those. Its just the splined washer on the end of the stubshaft. I will go back at it on Monday. damn work....

·
3d Artist for Hire!
19,323 Posts
My auto hubs on my old ttb setup had a spring on the outer edge, so I'm just guessing from that experience. There was a small metal tab that held the spring apart, and after removing this tab, you could squeeze the spring together, and pull out the hub assembly.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya I missspoke. THe old autohubs arent even screwed on with the hex bolts. Its just a cap like a 2wd front hub. They have like a plug in it that keeps it locked held in my a spring clip on the axleshaft instead of the springclip on the outside of the hub housing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts