Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, first and foremost, thanks for allowing me into the fold here, I am excited to share my experiences with this truck as I move into getting her up and running again.

Basically, i had a met a great guy a couple months ago, and it just seemed to be perfect timing. He was the owner of this truck since the 80s i believe and he stopped driving it in the mid 90's. He told me that it was completely custom built by an airplane engineer and was used to race in a couple of races back in the late 70s. I was also told that it placed 2nd in one of the races, but I can't find any way to verify that.

I did however go through some old pictures on Tracksidephotos.com and sure enough, I ran into some pictures of this truck in action in the 78 and 79 MINT 400! I was super pumped to actually see this with the original driver and all, very exciting. Attached are a few pictures of the truck then and now. As you can see, it really is in pretty decent shape! The engine turns over though it needs some electrical work (distributor acting up) and it needs brakes, but other than that, it is solid! I am very excited to restore this thing as original as possible over the next few months. I don't want to change a thing! It has an Oldsmobile aluminum 215 V8 that seems to be pretty built along with a transmission that did not come with the 215s, and I am not familiar with it, but researching as much as I can. I would love to get in touch with the driver/builder of this thing, I guess his last name was wither Younghusband or Eidson/Eldson. I found some history on Younghusband with a toyota truck back then, but no way of knowing if it was the same guy.

Some cool features of the truck as you will see in the pictures is the extreme intake coming out of the carb and through the hood, the intake filter on the dashboard, all the original stickers and number from his last race in 1979 are still intact and in good condition.

I was hoping to see if anyone here knew of any way to find more information about this truck and it's history. I love car history and it is a whole new thing to me to have a car/truck with real history behind it!

Any information on results, registration, additional pictures/videos of the MINT 400 in 78 or 79, ANYTHING! I want to gather as much as possible to ensure i keep this thing as original as possible, stickers and all!

Thanks in advance guys!

Brian

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On it! thanks for the tip! I just signed up for the account on race-Dezert, i also purchased the rights to those photo's from tracksidephoto.com so I will update this thread with some better pics as soon as i receive them!

Thanks again for the idea, great!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Agreed, though the old pictures do show the same intake design. To me however it looks like an addition was made after the race to "look cooler" maybe. The addition was an addition adding a scoop to the existing carb-top intake. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Too funny, my friend/mechanical expert actually stopped in there yesterday to talk to him. He totally remembers the truck, even knew what transmission/Diffs were put in there. Pretty cool stuff! I will have to stop in there myself and talk to him. It sounds like he is a great dude.

Thank you for the tip though, that was a big one! I appreciate the pointer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Kyoder, I love your quote "a bad day of racing is better than a lifetime as a spectator", i have never raced, but this is inspiring!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Most Important to Preserve...?

There are a couple questions I am thinking about in my head and I was hoping I could get some advice from people who know best (you guys!). So odds are, if you are reading this, you have seen the pictures of my 152 Truck. Knowing its current condition and the fact that half of the body is made of steel and the other half is aluminum, would you repaint and redecal it? My gut tells me that I should leave it just the way it is to preserve the historical look... though i could also imagine how it would look if I perfected the body/paint and had the decals recreated.... I just wonder what you guys think about it, looking at it more as the historical 70's vehicle that I want to keep it... does that make sense?

Also, the suspension... Now I know they have made crazy advancements in suspension over the past 35 years. Would it be bad if I replaced the suspension with something more modern? I would keep the old suspension of course, but if I were to race, I don't know how well I would enjoy bouncing all over the place, haha, my head hurts watching those old races! If you felt it was a bad idea to get newer/more modern suspension, then I imagine my next step would be to locate some NOS suspension, same as what is on there.

Just some questions I have. I am sure there will be more areas where these types of questions come up. If it were my choice, I would keep everything exactly how it is, though I know that may not be safest or most comfortable on my body. All in all, what do you think is most important when we are talking vintage vehicles? Body, paint, engine parts, drive train, frame, etc. Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Carslut (great name! haha). I'm pretty stoked as you can probably tell. :) This thing has quickly become the second most important thing in my life! (had to say second, otherwise i wouldn't have a wife anymore) ;)

·
Premium Member
7,489 Posts
I guess the first question you need to ask, is what is your end goal? Do you really want to race this truck? If definitely yes, then what kind of race?
Second question.... money... Is money an issue for you? I think the best (read: most expensive) option would be to restore this truck to perfect 70's race condition, then build a replica that looks the same from 50 feet away, but has all the latest gadgets that make it safe/comfortable to race.

But most don't have that kind of money, or energy:D

1 - 20 of 57 Posts