Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to swap out my rear AMC 20 for another axle. What should I use and off of what vehicle and year of veh? Any help would be greatly appreciated. We have a pull a part here and a friend of mine works there. So I can get rear or front axle's cheap.

·
Premium Member
5,761 Posts
A buddy of mine tried to swap "non-factory" axles under his CJ-5 and his insurance company dropped him! Do you really want that to happen?
Send me a front 60 if you can get these donor axles so cheep.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
SJH when are you gonna learn to search first then ask questions???

There's also the newb forum (which I'm sure this will get moved to).

Two big hints with little to no flame.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Find a Jeep wagoneer that has a centered rear diff and a passenger side front dif, I think pre1980 or so. Just look under it to check for yourself. That gets you a 44 front and either a 44 rear or one piece amc 20 rear, that are about 8-10" wider. These are 6 lug axles though, so you'ld have to change your rims. Scout dana 44 axles make popular swaps too. None are directly bolt in, you gotta do some fabbing work. Like new spring mounts for the rear and full width mounts for the front, etc. What are you gonna do with the Jeep? dana 44's may work, or you may have to go to a 44/60, 60/60, 60/14b combo, it all depends are what your plans are. Oh yeah the obligatory, search you lazy azz :flipoff2:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still lazy

Yeah I get it look for myself. :grinpimp: I've done alot of work myself but I still like to get sevaral opinions on what others would do. I use about six diffarnt peoples opinions and do the most suggestad of them. But to get to your question, I just want a tuff rig that I can wheel on and offf road and keep it as strong as possible. :evil: Not alot of rock's to crawl around here. The closet jeep event is in Tellico NC. So mostly mud and trails.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Why not just replace your 2 pc, tapered shafts with 1 pc aftermarket shafts. For the wheeling you describe, your AMC 20 with 1 pc axles is more than adequate.

·
Registered
720 Posts
i used a scout II rear axle its 58" wms to wms. they're cheap too. The wagoneer front axle will require you to outboard your springs. I used a narrowed Chevy front end.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I am located in SC and wheel in TN, KY, and NC on a regular basis. I have the AMC 20 with one piece axles 4.56 gears and a Detroit locker with 36 inch TSL swampers. I have had great service from it so far. This is exactly what I suggest you do. I have added 2 inch wheel spacers to offset my lift for better stability. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts